Collin Moriarty says Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working with them previously

24 Jun 2022
#TeamGAAS looking like dummies right now with the recent Concord developments.

There's also a difference between working with a studio prior and working with a studio prior. @Yurinka WRT Haven, they have not released a product yet as a collective studio. Pulling people from disparate other studios isn't the same thing as having those people work together on a game from start to finish. We've already learned this from The Initiative, there's no reason to magically think what happened there couldn't have happened with Firewalk (or could happen with Haven) just because SIE/Sony own them.

Which is a bit surprising for me to say, because it seems at least for a period of time recently, there was definitely some different management calling shots at SIE and results like Concord aren't looking very good for them. We'll see if the new management under Hulst & Hideaki can ensure Haven deliver a hit, but I do know chances are high they'd have a hit under the Layden PS4 era, or under Tretton's time, etc.

Whether it'd be the same game as what will (might?) eventually be delivered next year is up for discussion.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

There's also a difference between working with a studio prior and working with a studio prior. @Yurinka WRT Haven, they have not released a product yet as a collective studio. Pulling people from disparate other studios isn't the same thing as having those people work together on a game from start to finish. We've already learned this from The Initiative, there's no reason to magically think what happened there couldn't have happened with Firewalk (or could happen with Haven) just because SIE/Sony own them.

Which is a bit surprising for me to say, because it seems at least for a period of time recently, there was definitely some different management calling shots at SIE and results like Concord aren't looking very good for them. We'll see if the new management under Hulst & Hideaki can ensure Haven deliver a hit, but I do know chances are high they'd have a hit under the Layden PS4 era, or under Tretton's time, etc.

Whether it'd be the same game as what will (might?) eventually be delivered next year is up for discussion.

Im not team gaas but they just had HD2 sell millions more than most there other games this year, that includes Stellar blade, ROR, FF7rebirth. And they have always done MP/Gaas games.
Sony need to make all types of genres and games.

They also need to show more SP games and secure more of them.
But I dont get the whole one or the other, TeamSP or TeamGaas.Sony is a huge Platform, if not the biggest. All other publishers and platforms have multiple games in different genres.
Sony cant just be a SP 3rd person developer as much as they are my favourite genre like there Action/Adventure games (Uncharted, GOW, TLOU, GOW etc

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
they just had HD2 sell millions more than most there other games this year, that includes Stellar blade, ROR, FF7rebirth
None of them were their games. But yes, HD2 did indeed sell more than Concord, their only other game for now this year!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
hey arnold nicksplat GIF

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
None of them were their games. But yes, HD2 did indeed sell more than Concord, their only other game for now this year!

HD2 is as much theres as ROR. Concord is their only PS studio only game.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
There's also a difference between working with a studio prior and working with a studio prior.
working with a studio prior = working with a studio prior

It's the same

@Yurinka WRT Haven, they have not released a product yet as a collective studio. Pulling people from disparate other studios isn't the same thing as having those people work together on a game from start to finish. We've already learned this from The Initiative, there's no reason to magically think what happened there couldn't have happened with Firewalk (or could happen with Haven) just because SIE/Sony own them.
The core of the Haven -particularly Jade Raymond- is known for building multiple and very productive AAA teams/studios who work in multiple AAA games at the same time and ship them relatively fast. They are basically the best in the world doing that, plus also creating their own (or overviewing the ones from other studios) super successful new IPs.

They turned a relatively small Ubisoft Montreal into a mamooth that makes several open world games at the same time. They later created and leaded Ubisoft Toronto and did the same, and were overviewing the new IPs in basically the best Ubisoft era. Worked in many record breaking new IPs and many AAA games that sold over 15-20 million copies each (AC, Watchdogs, The Division, The Crew, For Honor, Rainbow Six Siege and many others like some Splinter Cell or Far Cry games).

Then got tasked by EA to create and lead Motive and bsically help fix Battlefront 2, develop Star Wars Squadrons, Dead Space remake and a new IP that I think still isn't announced (maybe got cancelled).

Then got tasked by Google of running their first party game studios teams, but they shutted down Stadia before were ready to ship the internal games they had under development.

Then created Haven as a smaller team to make their own games in a more chill way (mainly remote, something they were used to) because they are older, pandemic, etc.

Every time they created a new team/studio, basically the hirings were former coworkers from previous studios, plus obviously younger people for the junior positions.

Under the name of Haven many not have released anything, but they don't have anything to prove. If you don't know that it's your issue, not theirs.

Haven pretty likely the most successful people in the world creating new AAA studios and new AAA IP. So there isn't anything surprising that people like EA, Google or Sony wanted to have these folks.

Management issues would be to run a big publisher and not wanting to have them.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Nah, because #TeamGAAS never said GAAS had a 100% hit rate. It has always been a riskier endeavor than traditional single player games. A flop or two was expected. That said, enjoy the win now because the next few years are going to be rough for #TeamAAASP.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
such a miracle this thread was not moved to "Doomers and Gloomers Sony is dying thread"
Because he also has a vendetta against this game I have noticed, hence people had free reign on this forum to spam the front page with threads daily about it.

Any other topic was quickly consolidated 🤔

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No, ROR is a Koei IP and it's third party. Same as Ni-Oh.

Yeah I meant studio work wise. Helldivers had no major PS studios helping like ROR had Xdev. Probably had individuals from Playstation helping out

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Because he also has a vendetta against this game I have noticed, hence people had free reign on this forum to spam the front page with threads daily about it.

Theres a reason why alot of people had vendetta with the game

What is the purpose of taking shot at your audience like this

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

He’s just another retarded video game fan who thinks his opinion is correct and other one else is incorrect.

I cant take him seriously after the praise he gave Xbox Scorpio and shitting on PS4 Pro. Him and media played dumb to what PS4 Pro was, “what is it, who’s it for? This is so pointless, will it have BC? But when Xbox Scorpio came out, amazing!!!