Collin Moriarty says Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working with them previously

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Colin doesn't even realize that Sony and Bungie have been working together for over a decade at this point.

I like Colin, but he's a genuine dunce when it comes to acquisitions and multiplayer. Pay him no heed.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony has already worked with some of the team at FireWalk during the Original Destiny 1 development... And we can go back further with Bungie since they also helped Naughty Dog build out their net code for their first Multiplayer right after Splitting with MS 🤔

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Made sense until every studio worth a hit had a bidding war for it. Imagine how much it would cost to acquire Arrowhead now.

Sometimes you have to put a ring on it earlier.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Made sense until every studio worth a hit had a bidding war for it. Imagine how much it would cost to acquire Arrowhead now.

Sometimes you have to put a ring on it earlier.

It's too unpredictable and having a behemoth like Microsoft that can spend tens of billions at a whim, it distorts values very quickly by creating massive speculation and greed.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Well I think he's right in one thing, which is that Firewalk's character design artists and the people who greenlit those are probably unemployable at the moment.

Bungie made no sense, if an acquisition doesn't bring you exclusive content, it makes no sense, Destiny will always be multiplatform and Marathon was already announced as multiplat when Sony purchased it,
Bungie's purchase was meant to use their expertise in GaaS to boost Sony's push in that area.
Plus, back in 2021 their revenue was estimated to be around $500M/year and growing, so it's not like Sony was overpaying too much for the business.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
As if these are the only studios Sony have/had problems. London studio, Pixelopus, Japan Studio, Media Molecule?
Exactly.

Colin is a preacher. His listeners are his parishioners.

He takes an example, spins it into a narrative his followers will enjoy, and invites 0 criticism or pushback.

• Heart
  • haha
Reactions: Etifilio and Loy310

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
the chances of singleplayer studios succeeding are way higher than live service ones
That's not how business works. GAAS might be higher risk, but it clearly brings significantly higher rewards as well. PlayStation knows where the industry is headed and they don't want to be flatfooted as GAAS continues to grow into its dominant position.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
the chances of singleplayer studios succeeding are way higher than live service ones

Singleplayer or Multiplayer, that's irrelevant. Question is about studios acquired by Sony who worked with Sony before or haven't. Guerilla and Evolution were one of them. Same can be applied to Media Molecule.

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
That's not how business works. GAAS might be higher risk, but it clearly brings significantly higher rewards as well. PlayStation knows where the industry is headed and they don't want to be flatfooted as GAAS continues to grow into its dominant position.
oh, Concord is certaintly bringing lots of rewards to Sony

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Singleplayer or Multiplayer, that's irrelevant. Question is about studios acquired by Sony who worked with Sony before or haven't. Guerilla and Evolution were one of them. Same can be applied to Media Molecule.
the singleplayer examples you mentioned were successful, Guerilla became a tentpole studio with a tentpole IP that sold more than 32M copies so far with 2 games, the live service ones were not, both Bungie, Firewalk and now possibly Haven will have failures on their catalogs. both commercially and critically (Bungie: Marathon, which is having development issues), so yes, there is a difference, and no, that's not irrelevant.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
the singleplayer examples you mentioned were successful, Guerilla became a tentpole studio with a tentpole IP that sold more than 32M copies so far with 2 games, the live service ones were not, both Bungie, Firewalk and now possibly Haven will have failures on their catalogs. both commercially and critically (Bungie: Marathon, which is having development issues), so yes, there is a difference, and no, that's not irrelevant.

Never ever mentioned games and it is irrelevant. Question is about studios acquired by Sony and who worked with them before or after acquisition -

Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working​

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Colin doesn't even realize that Sony and Bungie have been working together for over a decade at this point.

I like Colin, but he's a genuine dunce when it comes to acquisitions and multiplayer. Pay him no heed.
he knows, but marketing relationship doesn't translate to game development, Sony had no involvement in Destiny's development, they had no expertize on live service whatsoever and that was the reason the publisher was purchased in the first place, before bringing Bungie in, they should've made a strategic partnetship for a game, to test the waters and see if they would actually be able to deliver on the promise of a brand new successful GAAs game.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Hmmm, not really. I use to think so, but its too slow and now Playstation doesnt have enough studios.
Sony doesnt have 20 years to wait to purchase Insomniac. They’ve missed opportunities like Remedy too.

Kena did well, Wu Kong, Stellar Blade did well. Not purchased but there first major games were decent.

Colin didnt understand PS4 Pro and praised Xbox scorpion, and since then I dont think he has many braincells tbh

Plus plenty of other games that have had studios who worked with them have not so great reception. The order 1886, Driveclub, Days Gone etc.
Agree. Thoe certainly Sony can make safer bets. Studios like Arc system work (Guilty Gear), 1047 games (Splitgate), Level5 (ni no kuni) the studios behind V riding (make a top down Diablo like GOW live service that releases across PS, PC & Mobile it can even have a PS exclusive singleplayer also the studio that’s making Supervive which is a top down moba battle royal imo looks nice it can be release on PC, PS & Mobile which rn is only releasing on PC

Sony can still make these purchases & should because MS isn’t going to stop, I would be surprised if MS buys a Japanese publisher in the next 5 years (really looking at Sega) Sony doesn’t have the time to spend 5-10 years waiting if a studio will release there games & nurture like in the previous gen’s. Sony just needs someone who understands multiplayer understands what studio has a great understanding of multiplayer game such as Riot, Arc System etc. Sony should consolidate & if I where them I would look to buy studio + ip because Sony doesnt have the ip to really expand to live service or mobile buying WB & having the entire DC line up would not only make for great singleplayer but live service imagine if Sony bought WB & made a Marvel rival type game but w DC heroes that would be a easy success or a genshin impact type gacha game using DC heroes in a anime style (insomniac marvel game should’ve been a genshin impact type game not a high budget, hyper realistic graphics, large scope that would be hard to maintain) imagine a Supercell Brawl Stars type game using PS ip + WB ip + 3rd party essentially a top down brawl type similar to smash or revive PS allstars & use PS, WB & 3rd party ip.

If I was Sony I would look to buy Netherrealm & making a free to play Mortal Kombat game similar to riot that releases across PS, PC & Mobile & inject characters like Kratos (GOW), Jin (Ghost Sushi), Cole (inFAMOUS), Nathan Drak (Uncharted). Sony should’ve made these acquisitions a long time ago now there trying to catch up.

Or just pull the wallet instead of buying Paramount you buy WB or Capcom maybe make a investment in Square Enix & buy the Dragon Quest ip which Square doesn’t owns maybe buy Kadokawa & lockdown Fromsoft games to only PS. It kinda doesn’t matter because ultimately PS doesn’t have exclusive because they port games to PC but this is what I would do & I would be damn effective. I wana see Xbox dead & the same for Steam & Nintendo & I would scale so PS studios is releasing a minimum of 5 games from PS studios/Sony PS own ip. PS releasing 1 singleplayer game per year is abysmal & the reason PS is 3rd place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Never ever mentioned games and it is irrelevant. Question is about studios acquired by Sony and who worked with them before or after acquisition -

Sony will face consequences for purchasing studios without working​

yep, and they are facing the consequences now, 25k estimated copies sold across PSN and Steam, 62 metacritic score and 8 years of development thrown in the trash can, but you won't come here and drop examples without looking at full context, singleplayer studios don't equate to live service ones and no matter how much you try to twist it, the reality remains one: Guerrilla became a tentpole studio, Firewalk delivered the biggest commercial and critical failure of PlayStation's Studios history.
wdCd7ir.png