Concord Registers Only 1100 players during first Day of Closed Beta (Steam) | 2210 Players at Open Beta

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
So they killed Japan Studio for this?

Sony got lucky they got the Hoyoverse triplets. Those are gonna help a lot to minimize the bleeding occuring by trashcans gaas like Concords and Destruction

Now they need to be very careful on what gaas games to invest in the future. Even if we haven't see anything about Factions 2 but I can bet this would have been miles away superior than this

Oh I was waiting for Japan studio to come up.

The same studio which had teams rebelling against Sony and not willing to finish video games.

How long did we wait for Last Guardian again?

The last GaaS game Sony release called Helldivers 2 probably made more profits in 3 months than Japan studio did in 2 decades.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, this thing's dead. Next, so we can finally get this GaaS crap out of our system and focus on great SP games.
The Steam CCUs of the first days of a beta limited to preorders doesn't mean a shit about the game's success, even less about their GaaS strategy.

Even if this game tanks, they'll continue forward with their GaaS strategy because MLB, GT7, Destiny 2, Helldivers 2 are very successful, which pretty likely will be also the case of some of the other several GaaS they have under development.

And well, outside their games looking at the general market the revenue from selling games keep being replaced by addons revenue year after year, and most of the best selling/most downladed, most played and top grossing games are GaaS. And the percentage keeps growing, meaning that in the long term the market for AAA SP games will be smaller but their costs keep growing, so they can't be limited to SP games.

For the long term the big publishers need to be successful on GaaS, can't be limited to SP games because that would be a suicide.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Just cause 1 PS multiplayer game fail don’t mean PS is gonna stop. PS shouldn’t stop live service if they did they would have to go day n date on PC & Nintendo to extract more $ + expand ip to other players. In ways PS fan should hope PS live service succeed since it will slow franchise to expand to a new audience on PS, PC & Mobile.
Day & date like this live service multiplayer game ?

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Factions was planned as pve narrative drive co-op game like Destiny. Stupid expensive to make and no studio has successfully made a modern console game like it. Bungie burns thru stupid amounts of cash to sustain it with content. Those that have tried were flash in the pan pathetic imitations that die in a month.

You’ll get better returns on these strictly PvP games ideally. This is where Marathon will offer a complete different plan for operations than a Destiny for Bungie itself.

Then again, Concord plans to dump money and resources into episodic cinematic content … like why? It’s a PvP game. Makes no sense and sorta defeats the purpose.

I have my concerns now on the long term viability and burn rate thru cash.

You can call it a GaaS but these games don’t actually go into service phase unless they can succeed at launch.

Worst case scenario, Firewalk becomes a bungie support studio anyway and guys like Josh Hamrick go work for their old boss again. In fact, I think all these studios working on live service games should all be published and produced by Bungie and branded separate from PlayStation … but we ain’t there yet. Bungie can barely sustain one game.

Would you class something like FF14 and Star Wars the old Republic similar in costs and narrative coop game?
Is the division considering as successful?

Personally Id trust PS studios to do a good job of them if given the resources. They have quality studios, I mean how many studios can make a game like Unchated 2, TLOU, God of War? Maybe something like Remedy and Rockstar. Not many.

I hope they use Firewalk as there own studio. Theres not that many talented 1st person shooter studios, just make a campaign and have some else do the art. Gunplay and presentation isnt easy to come by

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
How many of those who pre order multiplayer game are going tonplay its beta? If > 10%, this game is in big trouble.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Exactly 😂 thank you, it’s like cmon people please take more than 5 seconds to think about what you’re saying. 95% of gaas fail…this nonsense about how Sony NEEDS a big live service hit to exist is as infuriating to hear as people saying Sony NEEDS the pennies they make from PC ports, or how they NEED cloud to expand beyond console 🤦‍♂️ None of that bs holds up when you stop and actually think about it for more than a few seconds

People really can’t think for themselves anymore, they take greedy bean counters words as gospel and throw all common sense out the window. No offense @Neversummer and @Remember_Spinal , I like you guys. I blame forum posters like Yurinka and Mibu for pushing that nonsense so much that the fans just start to accept it as the truth.
Your vision of PS is one that will lead to PS death. In similar ways to Xbox & how the younger generation don’t like or care about Xbox so Xbox is stuck with a older audience that’s getting older withing time till that audience shrinks & shrinks because they loose interest or die leaving the Xbox brand any new young blood to replace old blood.

It’s literally the same problem eu/Asia more specifically japan & korea has regarding the population being heavily impacted due to the lack of young blood to replace old blood.

The young blood that keeps a business growing is playing Helldivers 2, Fortnite, Roblox, Apex, Mario Kart, Smash not GOW, GOT, Uncharted singleplayer. Not saying PS needs to do all live service & get rid or lower singleplayer game output but to say PS needs to drop multiplayer live service & go back to solely singleplayer is a short sighted comical response.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
A single player game that sells 10 million, and most Sony games do at least that, is far better at "keeping the lights on" than a several year-long project that dies in 6 months and only sells a few million at best.
Also 3 live service games that dies & 1 live service hit like HD2 or Palword that if kept alive & updating for 5-10 years not only makes up for the 3 games that died makes more money then 2 singleplayer games that sell 10 million. Aswell as expands the ip into platforms like PC/Mobile aswell as other Sony ip by doing cross pollinating promotions between them ie Helldivers 2 x Killzone, Helldivers 2 x Death Stranding or if Sony didn’t cancel TLOU online you could’ve have TLOU online x Uncharted, TLOU online x Syphon Filter, TLOU online x inFAMOUS and all of these potential collab could be further synergies with merchandise/cross media.

It’s funny how PS fans want PS to be a 1 trick pony while there direct competitor is doing all. Nintendo has singleplayer games, multiplayer live service games, mobile games & hell with that rated M horror game teased by Nintendo I would be surprised if Nintendo dominates the mature game market w quality mature singleplayer games making PS obsolete since Nintendo would be offering more + having true permanent exclusive games

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
They didn't cancel 6 GaaS games.
Right, they delayed the other 6 & only cancelled TLOU battle royal, Twisted Metal & PS London games .

I honestly don’t know PS plans for live service how you cancel TLOU online & Twisted Metal but keep Concord & green light PS London games? If PS wanted to get into live service they should’ve used there existing established ip ie a GOW/Demon Souls/Bloodborne Diablo like competitor a TLOU online make it a survival not battle royal, Horizom online, Uncharted online, Twisted Metal, SOCOM, MAG, PS allstars, The Boys MK competitor or a Ratchet & Clank Garden Warfare 2 style fun shooter

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Also 3 live service games that dies & 1 live service hit like HD2 or Palword that if kept alive & updating for 5-10 years not only makes up for the 3 games that died makes more money then 2 singleplayer games that sell 10 million. Aswell as expands the ip into platforms like PC/Mobile aswell as other Sony ip by doing cross pollinating promotions between them ie Helldivers 2 x Killzone, Helldivers 2 x Death Stranding or if Sony didn’t cancel TLOU online you could’ve have TLOU online x Uncharted, TLOU online x Syphon Filter, TLOU online x inFAMOUS and all of these potential collab could be further synergies with merchandise/cross media.

It’s funny how PS fans want PS to be a 1 trick pony while there direct competitor is doing all. Nintendo has singleplayer games, multiplayer live service games, mobile games & hell with that rated M horror game teased by Nintendo I would be surprised if Nintendo dominates the mature game market w quality mature singleplayer games making PS obsolete since Nintendo would be offering more + having true permanent exclusive games
The problem is getting to those few games that will do REALLY well. Most of these games don't.

The point of not being a one trick pony is to have variety.Not simply dump hundreds of millions on GaaS and sacrifice some SP studios along the way, like ND. They spent 4 years working on stuff they shouldn't be working on.

Want to expand? Have variety. Add your kiddy games like Astrobot. Bring back Sly. Have JRPGs as first party games. Have standard MP games like they had with Killzone/Factions. Work on horror games.

And if you REALLY want GaaS, utilize some of your old IPs. Socom would work GREAT here.

It's not that they want more variety, It's that their idea of variety is simply doing a crapload of GaaS, hoping a few of them stick. For every Helldivers, you'll have 5 games that ae DoA. That's not sustainable.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Your vision of PS is one that will lead to PS death.
it's so hard to take you seriously when you say stuff like this 😂😂😂 By your logic, the PS4 gen was a failure because they had no big gaas...

The young blood that keeps a business growing is playing Helldivers 2, Fortnite, Roblox, Apex
Yeah...they are playing those games, among other gaas, and guess what, many of them are playing those games ON PlayStation...Where Sony gets a 30% cut of all MTX...You're acting like Sony is just a publisher like EA or Ubisoft, they have the largest install base in the world. They can never make another gaas game again and they'd still be extremely profitable. The sky is not falling because they don't have their own Fortnite, stop listening to greedy beancounters that are never satisfied and parroting their nonsense as if it's facts, it isn't.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The problem is getting to those few games that will do REALLY well. Most of these games don't.

The point of not being a one trick pony is to have variety.Not simply dump hundreds of millions on GaaS and sacrifice some SP studios along the way, like ND. They spent 4 years working on stuff they shouldn't be working on.

Want to expand? Have variety. Add your kiddy games like Astrobot. Bring back Sly. Have JRPGs as first party games. Have standard MP games like they had with Killzone/Factions. Work on horror games.

And if you REALLY want GaaS, utilize some of your old IPs. Socom would work GREAT here.

It's not that they want more variety, It's that their idea of variety is simply doing a crapload of GaaS, hoping a few of them stick. For every Helldivers, you'll have 5 games that ae DoA. That's not sustainable.
Oh I partly agree.

Sony back in 2019/2020 should’ve heavily invested in there singleplayer studio.

Almost every studio outside Bend, PS London & MM should’ve turned into a multi team studio either working on Singleplayer or Multiplayer/live service.

I would force Sucker punch into creating 2 new team to work on new inFAMOUS & Sly games aswell as forcing ND to work on a new Uncharted & Jak & Daxter.

Sony isn’t investing in there studio & making a bunch of dumb & short sighted decisions.

Instead of PS London making that fantasy live service games I would’ve had them work on a new The GetAway set in London resembling GTA it would be singleplayer w a online live service compontent similar to GTA online. Instead PS green lighted a new risky ip with no background & that being live service. PS live service strategy should’ve of started w translating existing established ip ie GOW, GOT, Bloodborne/Demon Souls, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Twisted Metal, The Boys, Demon Slayer first then if they succeed it’s a blanket of what to do & what not to do before making new ip that are live service because a new ip that is live service has a lower chance then a existing established ip.

Sony should’ve acquire multiplayer studio w a cadence or the ip truly looked not no agenda driven woke mid like Concord. Sony bought EVO but don’t have a fighting studio it’s embarrassing. Sony should’ve acquired Arc System Work had them work a a platform fighter since Smash is no longer at EVO then after that Arc System Work can make a Demon Slayer 2D fighter or make whatever they want. The Double Dragon games they make are good & they release on mobile devices I believe, so if Sony acquired Arc they could’ve had a fighting studio & a studio that could make smaller mobile style game using PS ip.

Not to mention Sony working on unnecessary games like until dawn remake, horizon remake, tlou 1&2 remake.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
They ARE planning. Nothing leads to think they'll stop it.

You're awfully optimistic about this game.

The response to this game in the youtube trailers is terrible. In X it's also pretty bad when reacting to the official Playstation accounts.
Peak number of Steam players who pre-ordered the game was 1100, stabilizing below 500 throughout the weekend.
It's a live service game that depends 100% on popularity and all the indicators for popularity on this game are nothing short of terrible.

But somehow you're still betting on its success. That's crazy.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Would you class something like FF14 and Star Wars the old Republic similar in costs and narrative coop game?
Is the division considering as successful?

Personally Id trust PS studios to do a good job of them if given the resources. They have quality studios, I mean how many studios can make a game like Unchated 2, TLOU, God of War? Maybe something like Remedy and Rockstar. Not many.

I hope they use Firewalk as there own studio. Theres not that many talented 1st person shooter studios, just make a campaign and have some else do the art. Gunplay and presentation isnt easy to come by

I would not consider the Division especially successful. Definitely not the second game. I enjoyed both those games too. Fallout 76 outperformed and outlived both Anthem and Division 2 for example. Of course they’ve all tried various operational and sales models… and not many outside the mmos and destiny actually deliver comparable story and expansion content. (Hoyoverse can)

FF14 has a subscription method for those consistent revenues. Square should have a good idea of how much money the game brings in. The Destiny model is the console friendly version of a sub more or less. A sub could even benefit the game tbh but I don’t think subs are marketable to the masses on console in particular.

An action game, especially with the production expectations of a ND game would be more expensive to make than any of those I’d bet in addition to action games generally just being more expensive productions vs something turn-based or isometric.

Suicide Squad promised cinematic seasonal content. It’s not happening. The cost of cinematics and VAs alone. Bungie tries its best to deliver this itself.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They didn't cancel 6 GaaS games.
Factions, Twisted Metal, London Studio, Deviation, Spiderverse. That's 5 we know of and Bungie cancelled something. Pixelopus we don't know if it was GAAS but still money down the drain.

Fairgame is probably cancelled because it disappeared after the awful reveal (even worse than Concord if that's possible, that's how bad the reception was.)

There's probably more we don't know about. They lost over 500 millions dollars easy with more on the way. The budget of 3 SP games or more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and JAHGamer