Console/Storefront UI's: Impressions & Wants

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'd like to have a discussion on dashboard concepts, but I'm awful at image manipulation. Anyone want to take my insane ramblings and transform it into a visual dashboard concept? Commission piece for any digital artists? I'll design you a better PS5 layout :eek:

Anyone wanna discuss their improvements for console UI, or discuss actual layouts? People always clamor for XB'S blades, but what would that even look like with all the info and ads xb wants to shove in there? :cry:

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
I just want the PS3's Cross Media Bar back. It had a fantastic, ethereal atmosphere and a straightforward, no-nonsense design. Every once in a blue moon, I plug my PS3 back in for a specific game, and when I'm greeted with the XMB, it just FEELS cleaner and more advanced than either the PS4 or 5's interface.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I just want the PS3's Cross Media Bar back. It had a fantastic, ethereal atmosphere and a straightforward, no-nonsense design. Every once in a blue moon, I plug my PS3 back in for a specific game, and when I'm greeted with the XMB, it just FEELS cleaner and more advanced than either the PS4 or 5's interface.
Yeah, but that was bloated to buggery with printers and stuff, and locked you into the screen as you unbubbled your games. How would you modernize it?

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
PS5 is perfect as is
Laugh Lol GIF

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I really liked the PS4....

But if PS5 brought back film purchases, like they had before...directly from Sony, I'd be delighted. I liked building a collection there.

That's really the only thing now that I feel is missing.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I would like the option to completely remove trophies and any tracking of my playtime. I don't get what is with these companies and the obsession to track everything, I just play game for the sake of playing games, trophies and achievements insult me.

At most I would like it to keep a record of the games I beat and that's about it.

Other than that just make everything more simple, stop complicating things by adding unnecessary features and information.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PS5 UI needs the option to expand the home game bar to multiple rows, to sort games, to do actual folders (and not just game lists), themes, homescreen music selection. We also need a legit browser.
Store needs better search and filtering options. Filter by price, by category/tag (like steam), by sale status. The PS+ tab is atrocious and needs streamlining/better paneling.

That's pretty much it, the rest of the UI is pretty decent.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
PS5 UI is great, just few adjustments like Folders, specific button to Library and themes.
That's all it misses.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I love what Valve is doing with the new UI, but their store has weird navigation issues due to its use of web technologies. It can't remember where you were if you "Load More" a few times and then back out of a selection.

OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
ehhh... i still think you lot whom like PS5's UI are craxzy.

- Swapped thr PS button press/hold actions from what they were on PS4. If I press, I want to back-out or go to top level. If i hold (right click), i want a quick menu of more indepth actions. PS4 had it like this, which was better. It's a daily annoyance.

- Apparentl;y that top bar of buttons on dashboard and PStore is called the 'Utilities' bar. Have to do a lot of jumping around up and I down to acess that menu. Finally saw an onscreen float message about pressing Triangle to get to it Not intuative at all.

-The system settings cog and search glass icon arent duplicated on the bottom menu they call the 'control center', and that menu doesn't allow several default stuff to be moved out of it. A step back from PS4's quick menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: toadsage44
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
The newest sub-menu when you enter a card and get presented with a single left adjusted column of choices, should be the top level menu style instead of massive cards horizontally, and farting little icons on the bottom menu, half of which I don't want to see, whilst so much other stuff is orphaned into different cards or only available in main settings cog icon, which isn't on the control center menu at all.

Essentially, ps5 menu UI sucks, and they should have stuck with the ps4 quick menu, with more customization

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym
OP
OP
ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Folders

Themes

Recolor the piss grey background. Give me PS4 blue and I'd probably like navigating my PS5 a bit more just due to that.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
navigating my PS5
why though, it is a game console; its main purpose is to run games. UI represents all the games on Home Screen in wonderful pictures. Themes seem impossible when the entire screen background changes based on games, icons changing per theme wouldn't be as meaningful as in PS4 also because the game thumbnails fill the entire home. What is left is settings icon at top right and trophy elements perhaps, so as single system wide design sensibility makes much more sense.