Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

24 Jun 2022
gnuDYxR.jpg

At this rate MS won't even sell 3.5 million Xbox consoles globally by EOY.

They'll get a bump maybe from the holidays but not much. I predicted they'd see a 40% drop YOY from 2023 (tracking at OG Xbox levels, that console had a 40% drop in its 4th calendar year from the 3rd), aka at best hit 4.32 million globally this year.

Shit, they may not even do that much!

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Xbox handheld confirmed

Oh god if this is real it would be so fckin hilarious, We will have the glorious Bugthesda games at at 1080 or less. Xbox forgets they have no mario or zelda, this handheld is soo going to flop- do steam deck numbers

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Jim Ryan

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
At this rate MS won't even sell 3.5 million Xbox consoles globally by EOY.

They'll get a bump maybe from the holidays but not much. I predicted they'd see a 40% drop YOY from 2023 (tracking at OG Xbox levels, that console had a 40% drop in its 4th calendar year from the 3rd), aka at best hit 4.32 million globally this year.

Shit, they may not even do that much!
Its actually kinda funny that in a year where Playstation is going to sell around 22 million units and is considered a failure by "analysts and pundits" xbox is on track to sell maybe a quarter of that at best. GTA VI will finally be the game that finally breaks the camels back if it gets delayed to 2026 as sales are collapsing in 2024 then they will surely be non existent come 2025

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
That GI.biz podcast was 🔥. Dring bringing the direct quotes and a gauge of the industy mood form GDC...and it's spicy.

Dring's words
Devs/pubs quoted by Dring re: xbox

"The phrase one major company who released a big major game last year said was..."

"I don't know why we bothered supporting it"

"...and now you've got 3rd party publishers going:"

"*throws hands in air, shrugs*... we're putting a lot of effort in making a series s version, and an x version of a game, and to be honest the market for us is PC and ps5"

"With xbox putting some of the games on ps5, and from what I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point assuming it progresses as xbox believes it probably will, I think xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer. That was the thing that came out of GDC for me".

"I've always been of the belief 'oh, it's just the Game Pass delivery system, it's got a good UI, it's got a good controller, it you like xbox games it's probably the best way to play them etc., I thought it would be fine... I didn't really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go...

"is there any point?"

"They're talking about making more powerful hardware and the next generations of devices, but they need to make sure it makes sense for studios to make versions of their games for that system."

"That was the other thing I was hearing coming out of GDC..."

"Just what the hell is going on with xbox?"

My guess for big game of last year and not sure why they supported it: Larian's masterpiece. A lot of effort, a lot of fuss, and undoubtedly $fuckall in return.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
"The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

The bolded is probably Larian or WB but I imagine this could be any Japanese publisher as well. I will say i am surprised a Japanese publisher hasnt come out formally dropped xbox yet. I predict when that day happens many others would follow quickly.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
"The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

The bolded is probably Larian or WB but I imagine this could be any Japanese publisher as well. I will say i am surprised a Japanese publisher hasnt come out formally dropped xbox yet. I predict when that day happens many others would follow quickly.
Larian. HogLegs sold next to nothing on PC, comparatively. WB and JP pubs would've made sense if they had said Switch. PC sells about on par with Xbox for most multiplat games.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Dabaus

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
Larian. HogLegs sold next to nothing on PC, comparatively. WB and JP pubs would've made sense if they had said Switch. PC sells about on par with Xbox for most multiplat games.
That's just fake news.

Good maybe it will light a fire under sonys ass.

You still believe anything Phil Spencer says

Cracking Up Lol GIF

He's only saying that to keep the embers alight, by this time next year Xbox will be ashes.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This guy was one of the biggest Xbox fanboys 😂 he moved completely over to PC

this guy literally just switched over from Xbox to PC and wasted no time immediately bashing consoles 😂😂

I'll never forgive Microsoft for creating some of the worst and most insufferable "PC gamers" ever

• haha
Reactions: Jim Ryan
OP
OP
Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That's just fake news.
No, it's not. Here's the full 2023 breakdown from two major markets.

Note the revenue generated and units sold by PC software compared to consoles, incl individual platforms.

Japan is another one. People have bought into the hype that Steam CCUs means tons of sales but that's the fake news. The reality is that of the major releases of last year, PC only nosed ahead for Diablo IV.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That GI.biz podcast was 🔥. Dring bringing the direct quotes and a gauge of the industy mood form GDC...and it's spicy.

Dring's words
Devs/pubs quoted by Dring re: xbox

"The phrase one major company who released a big major game last year said was..."

"I don't know why we bothered supporting it"

"...and now you've got 3rd party publishers going:"

"*throws hands in air, shrugs*... we're putting a lot of effort in making a series s version, and an x version of a game, and to be honest the market for us is PC and ps5"

"With xbox putting some of the games on ps5, and from what I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point assuming it progresses as xbox believes it probably will, I think xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer. That was the thing that came out of GDC for me".

"I've always been of the belief 'oh, it's just the Game Pass delivery system, it's got a good UI, it's got a good controller, it you like xbox games it's probably the best way to play them etc., I thought it would be fine... I didn't really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go...

"is there any point?"

"They're talking about making more powerful hardware and the next generations of devices, but they need to make sure it makes sense for studios to make versions of their games for that system."

"That was the other thing I was hearing coming out of GDC..."

"Just what the hell is going on with xbox?"

My guess for big game of last year and not sure why they supported it: Larian's masterpiece. A lot of effort, a lot of fuss, and undoubtedly $fuckall in return.
That's where the news is hidden. I was reading it elsewhere but there was nothing here. It's hard to follow the conversation this way 😕

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Anyways It's a bloodbath in the retardera thread, Xbox has attracted a core audience of penny pinchers and plain obnoxious people so no wonder the brand is failing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters