Console wars are over. Microsoft ramping up 3rd party development. |UP| Chris Dring: Xbox flatlining in EU, Xbox games coming to PS & less focus on GP

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Just reminding everyone of this original leak, where SneakerSO, who said Xbox was going multi before anyone else did, gave MS no quarter. All of their games are going multi. All of them. He called out Starfield specifically.

It may start with HFR and SoT, but this is the frog boiling in the pot scenario for Xbox console owners - they will learn to accept their fate as second-rate citizens in gaming bit by bit.

Keep this in mind as Sarah Bond tries to lie to everyone this week.
There was also that leak that included the Indiana Jones info and the new Kojima game with Sony that also included MS games going third party if I'm not mistaken.

It's pretty obvious where this is going.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
It's not over yet , bring me his head

Head Off Trick Or Treat GIF by C8

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
8:46 Min
With Xbox, I've heard from a very prominent company and one not so prominent that Xbox's performance in Europe is flatlining. You can follow our monthly coverage in the games market and you can see Xbox's sales are falling and it's fell all throughout last year and it's falling even harder this year.

The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it. We've mentioned in a previous podcast that retailers are considering or have began cutting back Xbox stock on their shelves, hardware & games... and now you've got third-party publishers going: "We're putting a lot of effort into creating an Xbox Series S/X version of a game where to be honest with you the market for us is PC and PS5"

And with Xbox putting some of the games on PS5, I understand the majority of them will be coming across at some point, assuming, you know, it progresses as Xbox believes it probably will. I think Xbox is in real trouble as a hardware manufacturer. And that was the thing that came out of GDC for me, because I always just thought, I've always been of the belief that it is the Game Pass delivery system, it's got a good UI, it's got a good controller, if you like Xbox games it's probably the best way to play them, etc. I thought it would be fine but then I didn't really factor in that some developers and publishers might just go, yeah I don't, you know, is there any point? And that is when you can lose it.

I was watching Michael Pachter's podcast and he was talking about how it's all about GamePass for Xbox, yet I've actually been hearing that Microsoft's been putting less focus on GamePass.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah, Jan+Feb data from Europe for Xbox is really pitiful.
It'll be something to keep an eye through the entirety of 2024 in the sense of: How low can it go?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This is the same discussion thts been had in a thousand other threads. It's water is wet and they been rip.

Reactions: xollowsob

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Someone tell yoshi p and square enix that Xbox probably won’t even be around by the time a 16 port would be released.

Reactions: Luffy123

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The major company who released a big game last year said they don't know why they bother supporting it.

Any idea on who it could possibly be?

24 Jun 2022
Microsoft's time as a platform holder with gaming hardware using the traditional console business model are over.

However, I think they'll salvage what they've learned with Xbox in new gaming hardware centered on consolized PC gaming. Which ironically would probably make them more competitive with Sony & Nintendo again because the PC gaming market has been doing pretty well these days thanks to Valve & Steam (and to a lesser extent, EGS, GOG etc.).

Though, that means any future gaming hardware from MS would be running on Windows, maybe with some type of Game Pass bundled into various SKUs at a higher cost. They'll probably try making the integrated hardware & software experience as close to a console as possible while still providing the open-platform usefulness of Windows (including a desktop environment as an option), but these things are otherwise going to be specialized PC gaming devices built around a common scalable spec with degrees of modularity depending on the form factor of the specific product.

It's the only way gaming hardware makes sense for them in the future. But it also means no more console exclusives and being a full-on 3P publisher for PC, Sony, Nintendo and mobile. Which, well, they're already moving towards doing.

My gut's saying WB Games.

We've seen those Hogwarts Legacy sales splits in Europe, they are terrible for Xbox. Even with digital, I doubt the Xbox contributed much more in sales for that game.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Besides the very poor sale trajectory for the console, the other big thing to note here from Chris talking to some publishers and developers is that they don't have a clear idea of what Microsoft's current strategy is.
This is really important because when you're a publisher and are trying to do forecasts and estimations, you look at previous data, but this is less and less useful as you're navigating a new shift in strategy.

Impossible to know, really, it could be from a publisher which already had a very minimal Xbox footprint seeing it shrink further over the years and asking themselves: Why bother at this point?
But it could also be from a publisher which sold pretty decently on Xbox(total numbers) but want big numbers for anything they release(aka many of the giant Western 3rd party AAA publishers).

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Puff