Cory Barlog Praises Colleagues After Seeing Early Work on New Project

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Cory said that after shipping GoW 2018 was going to have vacations with the family and in summer 2018 was going to work on a pitch of a new IP. Being optimistic, after around 6-9 works of preproduction it would be greenlighted. Meaning, that if that new IP got greenlighted they started its production in minimum H1 2019.

Being pretty unrealistically optimistic, it would be shipped 5 years later, in H1 2024. But there was Covid, adding minimum half a year of delay. So minimum H2 2024. It's a new IP, which requires extra time, and being the first time they had two big production teams at the same time, pretty likely they needed some extra time to build the team making related hirings and struggling with some production issues.

So I think that being optimistic, if it exists makes more thing that it would have minimm a 2025 release. Being more realistic, maybe 2026 or 2027 release.

They don't waste resources on PC ports. Compared to the over 200-300M budget of a brand new game, a PC port only takes around a couple millions and is made by a separate unrelated team (Valkyrie + Jetpack in case of GoW, Nixxes for Insomniac, Guerrilla or Sucker Punch, Iron Galaxy + Visual Arts for ND).
Im not worried about the money they, but the talented staff that could help towards new games

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They have been given proper resources and have a great management. Sony should do he same with the other studios so we get more games.
Insomniac was like this since they were independent. They killed it with many releases during PS3 era. I think it's their internal management that makes the difference

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac was like this since they were independent. They killed it with many releases during PS3 era. I think it's their internal management that makes the difference
While I agree Insomniac was always like this, they scaled up well to this new generation.

ND released Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and TLOU all within 6 years and with multiplayer modes too.

Sucker Punch also released Infamous 1, 2 , Festival of Blood, Infamous 2nd son and First light all within 5 years.
They took awhile with Ghost of Tsushima but they were developing another game that got canned

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Could cares less what he says. Show games and let them talk for themselves.

What he is doing all these years? 6 years now. Unless he developing ground breaking game, don't care what he says, basically gloryfied mouth piece.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom and Umar
24 Jun 2022
"The thing I loved were the games we didn't show" - Phil Spencer Cory Balrog

Just joking (slightly). It is kinda hard not to draw the similarity though, you have to admit that.

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

What he is doing all these years? 6 years now. Unless he developing ground breaking game, don't care what he says, basically gloryfied mouth piece.

The part where it says early works just make me want to cry lol.. like what the hell you guys been doing all these years. What a waste of time. Bring Kez, House and the whip

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
Considering there games make big profits yes I expect them to expand. Only 1 game this gen didnt make profit which was destruction all stars.

Insomniac did and they are releasing games almost every 2 years, high quality games. Imagine if the rest of the studios were releasing games every 2 years

Insomniac made pretty much the same game 3 times in 4 years and are promising more expansions on Spider-Man almost certainly utilizing the same city.

Rift Apart almost certainly reuses assets from Ratchet and Clank 2016.

Both Rift Apart and Spider-Man 2 were extremely buggy at release.

I'll take quality over quantity. The first Spider-Man game was a master class, but neither of the follow ups have moved the needle.

Basically every new Naughty Dog game moves the needle. Ghost of Tsushima was masterful.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

He Co-Directed Ragnarok. Many people don’t know that.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Cory said that after shipping GoW 2018 was going to have vacations with the family and in summer 2018 was going to work on a pitch of a new IP. Being optimistic, after around 6-9 works of preproduction it would be greenlighted. Meaning, that if that new IP got greenlighted they started its production in minimum H1 2019.

Being pretty unrealistically optimistic, it would be shipped 5 years later, in H1 2024. But there was Covid, adding minimum half a year of delay. So minimum H2 2024. It's a new IP, which requires extra time, and being the first time they had two big production teams at the same time, pretty likely they needed some extra time to build the team making related hirings and struggling with some production issues.

So I think that being optimistic, if it exists makes more thing that it would have minimm a 2025 release. Being more realistic, maybe 2026 or 2027 release.

They don't waste resources on PC ports. Compared to the over 200-300M budget of a brand new game, a PC port only takes around a couple millions and is made by a separate unrelated team (Valkyrie + Jetpack in case of GoW, Nixxes for Insomniac, Guerrilla or Sucker Punch, Iron Galaxy + Visual Arts for ND).
I think pre production probably lasted most of the way through GOWR. As far I know SSM isn't a two team studio. 1.5 at most, full production probably started late 2022 / early 2023 and would likely have at least two years left

I think we might still get a teaser this year though

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
He Co-Directed Ragnarok. Many people don’t know that.
Not co director but creative director

He was still heavily involved in Ragnarok and the new IP pre productikn would have been only part time of his role

Screenshot_20240324_123004_YouTube.jpg

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think pre production probably lasted most of the way through GOWR. As far I know SSM isn't a two team studio. 1.5 at most, full production probably started late 2022 / early 2023 and would likely have at least two years left

I think we might still get a teaser this year though
A game having a preproduction that last something between 3 months and mayre around a year makes sense. But almost until GoWR release would mean like 3 years and a half of preproduction, which doesn't make sense.

It would also meaning to annonce a new IP that has been under production only during a couple years, which won't happen at Sony specially now that they recently cancelled stuff tthey already teased/shown a bit. Nah.

Not co director but creative director

He was still heavily involved in Ragnarok and the new IP pre productikn would have been only part time of his role

View attachment 4608

Yes. Santa Monica has the tradition of changing their game director after every game, never have two titles in a row with the same one. But after GoW 2018 Cory moved to be the creative director of all their games.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Insomniac made pretty much the same game 3 times in 4 years and are promising more expansions on Spider-Man almost certainly utilizing the same city.

Rift Apart almost certainly reuses assets from Ratchet and Clank 2016.

Both Rift Apart and Spider-Man 2 were extremely buggy at release.

I'll take quality over quantity. The first Spider-Man game was a master class, but neither of the follow ups have moved the needle.

Basically every new Naughty Dog game moves the needle. Ghost of Tsushima was masterful.
I didnt have any issues with Rift apart, if they use the assets from 2016 then ND could use the TLOU2 assets for factions and there latest game.

Insomniac is just better organised and given more money for staff

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
A game having a preproduction that last something between 3 months and mayre around a year makes sense. But almost until GoWR release would mean like 3 years and a half of preproduction, which doesn't make sense.

It would also meaning to annonce a new IP that has been under production only during a couple years, which won't happen at Sony specially now that they recently cancelled stuff tthey already teased/shown a bit. Nah.

Yes. Santa Monica has the tradition of changing ttheir game director after every game, never have two in a row with tthe same one. But aafter GoW 2018 Cory moved to be the creative director of all their games.
Pre production can last years depending on the game, especially new IP and a studio still making a other project. For example Horizon ZD pre production began in early 2011 and full production began in December 2013 after they released Killzone Shadow fall

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pre production can last years depending on the game, especially new IP and a studio still making a other project. For example Horizon ZD pre production began in early 2011 and full production began in December 2013 after they released Killzone Shadow fall
No, HZD was already under production when they moved the rest of the staff they already had on Killzone working on the release of Shadow Fall. Part of the Shadow Fall team already had moved to HZD before the release, and also moved there people who were working on a different unannounced project more that never got into full production.

Last edited: