Cultural appropriation, revision of history or just appreciation of the culture. What are your thoughts on Yasuke in the new Assassin's Creed.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Don't blanket state "Americans" it's like me saying all Australians have ugly mullet haircuts and seem slow although it's fashionable over there I know all do not. I'm Puertorican American and trust me most Americans aren't sensitive just the crazy super left snowflakes tht have taken over politics and have become a vocal group. People feel a certain way about all groups but this is nor the time or place for tht and no one should care. Refrain from attacking certain groups, thnks.

Furthermore many of these political ideologies didn't originate in America (although the term Woke did and it's definition has since been changed to a negative one) nor is it just an American problem as certain other countries elsewhere and in Europe are sure as hell following along to some degree.
I blame the french :ROFLMAO: . All they have done is export cowardice, pretentiousness, leftism and ubisoft 🙃

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I blame the french :ROFLMAO: . All they have done is export cowardice, pretentiousness, leftism and ubisoft 🙃
LOL thts my point in saying some of these ideologies didn't originate in America but I'm not pointing fingers.

24 Jun 2022
You know, it's funny that they only put Yasuke as a Samurai because the game is Western, if it were a Japanese game, he wouldn't even be considered. But what made me angrier was the fact that many people claimed that he was a Samurai, although this is a lie, just to defend his inclusion in the game. But about the game itself: meh, without gamepaly and in-game graphics, I don't know how people are hyped for this game (I suppose because it's in Japan)

Are you people actually mentally braindead? Yasuke's been in Dynasty Warriors games, AFAIK.

And last I checked, Dynasty Warriors was made by Koei Tecmo. A Japanese company.

We really do need a knowledge check (maybe even a poll tax) on people who can't do simple research before typing a response as if their stupid opinions on a topic matter 🙄

Anyway, you can join the others on the Ignore list.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Are you people actually mentally braindead? Yasuke's been in Dynasty Warriors games, AFAIK.

And last I checked, Dynasty Warriors was made by Koei Tecmo. A Japanese company.

We really do need a knowledge check (maybe even a poll tax) on people who can't do simple research before typing a response as if their stupid opinions on a topic matter 🙄

Also in Nioh.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024

I'm sorry, but using his participation in these games only proves my point: he's not the protagonist, he's not the main character and he's only there with other characters to make up the cast. Be honest: do you really think that if the game came from a Japanese company, he would be one of the first choices for a protagonist?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm sorry, but using his participation in these games only proves my point: he's not the protagonist, he's not the main character and he's only there with other characters to make up the cast. Be honest: do you really think that if the game came from a Japanese company, he would be one of the first choices for a protagonist?

If my grandmother had balls she'd be my grandfather.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Instead of crying online and whinging that people maybe don't want to play as a black man in Japan, maybe just accept that people are allowed to have opinions.
Literally no one cares that you don't wanna play as a black man in Japan lmao. Who here is forcing you to buy the game? Go play one of the other countless samurai games...no one is stopping you. The only ones crying and whinging are you anti wokesters.

24 Jun 2022
Okay, we've reached the limit. But don't think that I'm one of those racists who's only angry because there's a black man starring in a game

"Don't think I'm the thing I'm basically showing myself to be due to a combination of ignorance, limited vernacular, and limited thought applied to the words I type on a topic that happens to let me be the thing I don't want you to think I am."

Buddy maybe you should learn how to articulate yourself better before hitting the 'Post Reply' button okay?

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
You know, it's funny that they only put Yasuke as a Samurai because the game is Western, if it were a Japanese game, he wouldn't even be considered. But what made me angrier was the fact that many people claimed that he was a Samurai, although this is a lie, just to defend his inclusion in the game. But about the game itself: meh, without gamepaly and in-game graphics, I don't know how people are hyped for this game (I suppose because it's in Japan)
"he wouldn't even be considered."
Say that to all the other Japanese media that depicts him as a Samurai. You're out of your depth on this one mate.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
"Don't think I'm the thing I'm basically showing myself to be due to a combination of ignorance, limited vernacular, and limited thought applied to the words I type on a topic that happens to let me be the thing I don't want you to think I am."

Buddy maybe you should learn how to articulate yourself better before hitting the 'Post Reply' button okay?
I am responsible for what I write, not what you interpret
"he wouldn't even be considered."
Say that to all the other Japanese media that depicts him as a Samurai. You're out of your depth on this one mate.
And did that guarantee you a leading role in anything?

24 Jun 2022
I am responsible for what I write, not what you interpret

All you write is bullshit though. There's absolutely nothing of substance to what you're saying on this topic and you were already proven wrong on an assertion the very first post you made ITT.

I mean look at who liked this very post of yours. And that person's probably even more demented than you are on the subject. Peas in a pod.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
All you write is bullshit though. There's absolutely nothing of substance to what you're saying on this topic and you were already proven wrong on an assertion the very first post you made ITT.

I mean look at who liked this very post of yours. And that person's probably even more demented than you are on the subject. Peas in a pod.
If we're just going to accuse other people and not really debate, Resetera is your place

Reactions: ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Probably the best take I've seen around this subject, it's worth a watch:

His conclusions after consulting with Thomas Lockley himself, the historian who wrote the African Samurai book (the fictional story that keeps getting quoted as historical record):

- There's no proof whatsoever that Yasuke was made samurai.
- There's no proof he wasn't made samurai either.
- There are conflicting facts, on one hand he was given a weapon and a stipend, on the other he was not required to commit seppuku after Oda Nobunaga did.
- Which is also not all that important because the term Samurai wasn't really used during that period anyways. Nobles would be called by their formal titles (like William Adams was given the title of Hatamoto). Regardless, whether or not Yasuke achieved some kind of nobility is unknown.

So.. yeah, the guy who wrote the "African Samurai" book that everyone keeps quoting as proof that Yasuke was a Samurai... says there's no way to know for sure whether he was given any type of nobility / Samurai.

As for me, after reading Luís Fróis' mentions in Portuguese I still interpret Nobunaga's interest in Yasuke as curiosity and "entertainment" (this is actually the word Fróis uses to describe Nobunaga's reaction to Yasuke). Had that been written in modern times I'd definitely keep that interpretation, though I guess 1586 Portuguese can be different from modern day Portuguese.

After the video I'll change my stance from "no way he was ever a Samurai" to "there's no way to know for sure".

This 2016 article from a guy who studies Oda Nobunaga also seems to point out that it was Luís Fróis who seemed to be fond of Yasuke, so his descriptions ended up a bit biased.

I don't change my stance on Ubisoft's choice for using a black samurai and a ninja woman to be rooted in DEI ideology, though. It has nothing to do with artistic vision, only corporate virtue signaling and far-left activists in the story team.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

clickbait, it doesn't say that at all.

the exact quote is “Romantically, they will also attract and be attracted to different types of people. Through the pair, players will get to experience a multitude of relationships.”

Also, that same article goes on to talk about homosexuality being a sin to Christianity. It comes straight out of fucking nowhere with it, I forgot about That Park Place being insanely bigoted, thanks for the reminder, I never want to see their clickbait again, blocking them.