Days Gone 2 not being made was a Bend Studio decision

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Days Gone wasn't seen as a success for Bend Studio.

120 developers. 8 million lifetime sales.

Good luck Astrobot.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I know it sold well but compared to the other PS games that generation, it wasnt the huge hit games like Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and Spiderman were.

It would of been a bit silly if Sony got every one of there AAA studios to make sequels. They already had Spiderman 2, Horizon 2, Death Stranding 2, TLOU2, God of War Raganrok coming.
They need some new iP and Dayz Gone compared to those bigger hits just didnt make sense.

Also, I havent given it enough of a chance but its probably my least favourite PS games in 2 generations accept maybe Shadow Fall. So meh

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This was known years ago but people to this continued to claim Sony killed the game.

That's nasty Director sealed his own fate with his shit attitude and how he treated the staff. I wished there was a sequel but I understand why the studio wanted to rid itself of him and his lasting legacy.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I guess it was not seen as a success internally by Bend because it scored in the 70s on meta and the bugs at launch. Maybe they will revisit it at a later date but a DG2 should not be a priority, Sony needs a top tier open world ARPG (No borizon doesnt count) that doesn't handhold and encourages exploration.

Reactions: Airbus

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I guess it was not seen as a success internally by Bend because it scored in the 70s on meta and the bugs at launch. Maybe they will revisit it at a later date but a DG2 should not be a priority, Sony needs a top tier open world ARPG (No borizon doesnt count) that doesn't handhold and encourages exploration.
I actually feel Days Gone had the strongest sense of open world exploration amongst all the Sony games that generation. It's just that the mechanics felt stuck in PS3 era at times

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
i wonder what both projects cost to make.
Astro had half the developers and only a 3 year dev cycle so it's probably significantly cheaper.

Still means they probably have to get past around 3 million lifetime sales to be considered a success. Those are Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart numbers.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Astro Bot doesn't need to sell much, Sony knows that
It doesn't need to sell much to make a profit, I agree.

It does need to sell a lot for Sony to see it as a potential trend. If AstroBot sells 3 million after a year or two, PlayStation will view it as a nice little snack, but they will pursue needle moving games more than ever (20 million selling SP games and GAAS).

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Astro had half the developers and only a 3 year dev cycle so it's probably significantly cheaper.

Still means they probably have to get past around 3 million lifetime sales to be considered a success. Those are Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart numbers.
Sony gave it a lower $60 price tag which is a clear sign the games budget was more than likely under 100 million even so, profitablelity will not be an issue for Astro.

OP
OP
Fenton

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
We knew that already. Only MS astroturfers push the narrative that it was Sony that refused the pitch. It's also being pushed now because of Concord and "We got this but Sony didn't want to make DG2.".
Even the media reported that narrative as news.
Days Gone 2 was not given the greenlight when pitched to Sony, according to a Bloomberg report.

According to reports, Bend Studios had wanted a sequel, but Sony did not give them the green light.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

It does need to sell a lot for Sony to see it as a potential trend. If AstroBot sells 3 million after a year or two, PlayStation will view it as a nice little snack, but they will pursue needle moving games more than ever (20 million selling SP games and GAAS).
90% of Sony games will never sell 20 million. I dunno why this anomaly figure is suddenly the benchmark.

Reactions: Sircaw

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Sony gave it a lower $60 price tag which is a clear sign the games budget was more than likely under 100 million even so, profitablelity will not be an issue for Astro.
Profitability isn't the discussion though. The discussion is if Astro Bot can be the way games are made moving forward for giant publishers.

catholic-meryl-streep.gif

Gamers like to ignore how many games and franchises that sold under 10 million copies got left behind by the major players in the market. Days Gone not being considered a success for Bend is a solid reminder of what these companies feel they need to do.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024

Sony doesn't need to follow any trends, it just needs to let studios make good games, regardless of the genre, Sony ended up launching the biggest flop in history trying to catch up with Overwatch

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Profitability isn't the discussion though. The discussion is if Astro Bot can be the way games are made moving forward for giant publishers.

catholic-meryl-streep.gif

Gamers like to ignore how many games and franchises that sold under 10 million copies got left behind by the major players in the market. Days Gone not being considered a success for Bend is a solid reminder of what these companies feel they need to do.

Astro is going nowhere I don't even understand what's the point of this discussion? Astro has been around since the PS3 days and has only gotten bigger each generation