Days Gone 2 not being made was a Bend Studio decision

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Sony doesn't need to follow any trends, it just needs to let studios make good games, regardless of the genre, Sony ended up launching the biggest flop in history trying to catch up with Overwatch
This is not true. Sony's objective as a company is to increase profitability and value.

The reviews and critical reception matter significantly less than profits and revenue.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Astro is going nowhere I don't even understand what's the point of this discussion? Astro has been around since the PS3 days and has only gotten bigger each generation
I agree. Astro is in a solid spot.

However, much of the discussion around Astro has been "See Sony?! Do less Concord and more Astrobot!" but that's basically fanboy nonsense. You can't assess a broad strategy based on Astros metacritic score.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Astro is going nowhere I don't even understand what's the point of this discussion? Astro has been around since the PS3 days and has only gotten bigger each generation
he is in massive Cope mode.
his recent posting history about Astro Bot is nothing but delusional.

Reactions: arvfab and Danja

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
This is not true. Sony's objective as a company is to increase profitability and value.

The reviews and critical reception matter significantly less than profits and revenue.
You don't understand. Yes, Sony, like any company, must and will prioritize profit, but the difference is how they do it: by giving their studios freedom to create games they like and that appeal to the public, or by chasing trends and putting their studios into more overpriced AAA and GaaS? Capcom learned that a long time ago (with a few relapses, of course)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I agree. Astro is in a solid spot.

However, much of the discussion around Astro has been "See Sony?! Do less Concord and more Astrobot!" but that's basically fanboy nonsense. You can't assess a broad strategy based on Astros metacritic score.
Sony will continue to do exactly what they have been doing Single Player and multiplayer games. I do expect them to scale back the GaaS approach just a bit and be more selective but it's very clear they aren't backing away from GaaS.

I rarely ever get caught up in the reactionary gaming discourse as many can't see beyond their own nose.

Yes they got humbled recently with Concord and as much as I love the game and wished it wasn't the sacrificial lamb. I'm glad it happened as their GaaS approach completely derailed this generation (Internally)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
he is in massive Cope mode.
his recent posting history about Astro Bot is nothing but delusional.
He's still reeling for the loss of Concord just taking out his frustrations on Innocent Astro 😅

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Days Gone wasn't seen as a success for Bend Studio.

120 developers. 8 million lifetime sales.

Good luck Astrobot.
What is this shitposting

Are you a closet xbot

If bend studio feels like they dont want to continue with days gone second game so let em be not every game has to get endless sequel

Why are you dragging astrobot here

The first god of war game didnt manage to reach 8 million so by your logic it should be dead and not getting second game

Enough with the stupid mindfuckery

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
You don't understand. Yes, Sony, like any company, must and will prioritize profit, but the difference is how they do it: by giving their studios freedom to create games they like and that appeal to the public, or by chasing trends and putting their studios into more overpriced AAA and GaaS? Capcom learned that a long time ago (with a few relapses, of course)
Do you wonder why no one at PlayStation Studios isn't making a brick breaker, a puzzle game, a horse racing sim, a top down shooter?

Because they're all making games based on trends. All their studios are incentivized to make money based on genres that can sell.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
What is this shitposting

Are you closet xbot

If bend studio feels like they dont want to continue with days gone second so let em be

Why are you dragging astrobot here

The first god of war game didnt manage to reach 8 million so by your logic it should be dead and not getting second game

Enough with the stupid mindfuckery
He's not a closet xbox fanboy, he's pretty open about it. And a major Phil simp.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Do you wonder why no one at PlayStation Studios isn't making a brick breaker, a puzzle game, a horse racing sim, a top down shooter?

Because they're all making games based on trends. All their studios are incentivized to make money based on genres that can sell.
Well, they do, that's why Team Asobi, Media Molecule and Gran Turismo exist

• Shake
Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
He's not a closet xbox fanboy, he's pretty open about it. And a major Phil simp.
If astrobot manage to reach 8 million lifetime sales we better tag that guy ass in the astrobot thread

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What a lot of people don't understand about Day's Gone is that it sold due to heavy discounting and isn't a prestigious franchise. So you have to weigh the opportunity costs and risks moving forward, especially with a game centered around zombies. Will Zombies be popular in 5-6 years... and in reality zombies were already losing interest.

Naughty Dog could have continued Jak and Daxter and Insomniac could have continued Resistance. Then we wouldn't have gotten Uncharted, Last of Us, and Spider-Man.

It's fine to move on to other things.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I actually Phil has been pretty awful in terms of strategic vision. His only real redeeming quality has been convincing Microsoft to buy ABK. That's not really the topic of this thread though.

• haha

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
What a lot of people don't understand about Day's Gone is that it sold due to heavy discounting and isn't a prestigious franchise. So you have to weigh the opportunity costs and risks moving forward, especially with a game centered around zombies. Will Zombies be popular in 5-6 years... and in reality zombies were already losing interest.
your first narrative was debunked while ago.
second, PS got plenty of sequels which were not prestigious and don't even sold that well.
the game is not centered around zombies, you would know if you played it. there is literally 0 zombies in the game.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I actually feel Days Gone had the strongest sense of open world exploration amongst all the Sony games that generation. It's just that the mechanics felt stuck in PS3 era at times

Thats a good point, it did more with the open world and memorable locations etc. For me it was the controls, melee combat etc that I didnt like, especially after coming from TLOU2 PS5 60fps etc. The graphics, music, sound, voice acting was all great as usual for PS studio game

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
BendStudio was so reluctant to make DaysGone2 that it has now thrown all its efforts into GaaS, which is likely to share Concord's fate, at least because of the overheated market for service games.

It seems to me that the numerous narratives about “the studios themselves really wanted ports to PC, and to work on GaaS” can be created by Sony's management, as well as numerous comments from employees (employees sign NDAs, and there may be a clause “not to oppose and support the company's policy”).

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Thats a good point, it did more with the open world and memorable locations etc. For me it was the controls, melee combat etc that I didnt like, especially after coming from TLOU2 PS5 60fps etc. The graphics, music, sound, voice acting was all great as usual for PS studio game
TLOU2 is more of a chamber game, where there are no scenes with HUNDREDS of freaks in the frame, so of course they were able to do more detailed melee, dismemberment system, and other such things.

It's also worth considering that ND is a more flagship studio with more resources, and they had special treatment from Sony's management (compare TLOU2 and DaysGone marketing, DG's was much weaker and poorer).

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Or will it share Helldivers 2s fate?
HD2 is a sequel to the conventionally successful GaaS HD1, and its success came as a surprise to everyone.

BendStudio has lost some of its employees and has no experience even with MP projects (too much time has passed since the PS1, and then MP mode was a small bonus for the game), let alone the LiveServise model.

Therefore, we should expect a Concord moment, followed by a big punishment for the studio.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
your first narrative was debunked while ago.
second, PS got plenty of sequels which were not prestigious and don't even sold that well.
the game is not centered around zombies, you would know if you played it. there is literally 0 zombies in the game.

I have you on ignore for a reason.

• We know based on the Sony leak that Day's Gone generated the same amount as Bloodborne, despite selling far more units. This means the average sale price on Day's Gone was considerably cheaper
  • Show me a PS game that got a sequel with worse metacritic, worse sales, and a bigger team
  • Don't even sell that well not don't even sold that well. Why is it that foreigners on forums are the most ridiculous
  • For marketing purposes they're zombies, stop it