Days Gone 2 not being made was a Bend Studio decision

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Thats a good point, it did more with the open world and memorable locations etc. For me it was the controls, melee combat etc that I didnt like, especially after coming from TLOU2 PS5 60fps etc. The graphics, music, sound, voice acting was all great as usual for PS studio game
Absolutely. It took me awhile to get use to the loose and clunky mechanics. They claimed they were try to make him feel like a regular human (which is fair) but I'm not playing games to feel like a clumsy man just winging it in the open wilderness 🤣.

Even so I can appreciate the world they built as the open world and the overall tech is still extremely impressive.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
BendStudio was so reluctant to make DaysGone2 that it has now thrown all its efforts into GaaS, which is likely to share Concord's fate, at least because of the overheated market for service games.

It seems to me that the numerous narratives about “the studios themselves really wanted ports to PC, and to work on GaaS” can be created by Sony's management, as well as numerous comments from employees (employees sign NDAs, and there may be a clause “not to oppose and support the company's policy”).
They are making a single player game with multiplayer elements 🤔

Ironically course correcting one of their biggest mistakes with the Days Gone, not having an online component. They did try to make it up with the constant weekly challenges.

But you don't just create horde's like that and not give the audience some sort of Co--op / Faction component

Reactions: Kokoloko

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Helldivers 1 was a minuscule indie game.
Which worked out the core gameplay and the model of post-release support for the game.

Still, don't underestimate HD1, especially since this “indie” was published by Sony.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
They are making a single player game with multiplayer elements 🤔

Ironically course correcting one of their biggest mistakes with the Days Gone, not having an online component. They did try to make it up with the constant weekly challenges.

But you don't just create horde's like that and not give the audience some sort of Co--op / Faction component
In my opinion, the Horde would simply not work in a cooperative.

Players could easily divide the freaks into groups and kill them all, and considering that the game was created for PS4, I doubt that it would have been possible to increase their number.

As for the new game, from the information I have seen, it is GaaS, with a “singles game experience”, something similar was said about RedFall...

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
In my opinion, the Horde would simply not work in a cooperative.

Players could easily divide the freaks into groups and kill them all, and considering that the game was created for PS4, I doubt that it would have been possible to increase their number.

As for the new game, from the information I have seen, it is GaaS, with a “singles game experience”, something similar was said about RedFall...

Why do you assume the Horde will function the same way in Multiplayer lol..

This game was pitched to Sony as an addition to Days Gone for the multiplayer portion and it was declined. And it turned out pretty well.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Days Gone was doomed the moment it got a yellow Metacritic score. Unfortunately Sony cares a little too much about it. It didn't help the game was put out in a state untypical for PS studios back then.

If it sold a lot more than expected, I guess they (Bend Studio higher ups) would have still greenlighted it/pitched it to PlayStation.

We also don't know if the reason(s) for rejecting the pitch had nothing to do with the game being successful or not. Maybe the ideas for the sequel simply weren't good enough or it might have been even something personal between people.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Why do you assume the Horde will function the same way in Multiplayer lol..

This game was pitched to Sony as an addition to Days Gone for the multiplayer portion and it was declined. And it turned out pretty well.

Yes, it's not an open-world, players don't have transportation, and hordes, unlike DG, don't walk around locations to drink water or pinch grass on the lawn.

World War Z is a development of the ideas of Killing Floor and L4D, it is not like DG.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yes, it's not an open-world, players don't have transportation, and hordes, unlike DG, don't walk around locations to drink water or pinch grass on the lawn.

World War Z is a development of the ideas of Killing Floor and L4D, it is not like DG.
What in World War Z was originally pitched to be the multiplayer addition of Days Gone don't you understand?? You keep thinking a multiplayer has to play out exactly like the single player.

Did Last Of US Factions play exactly like the Single Player..? No

They would have altered mechanics, how horde operated but this convo is going nowhere either way.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I'm taking this to mean that Days Gone 2 didn't happen because the director is a pain to work with

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I have you on ignore for a reason.

• We know based on the Sony leak that Day's Gone generated the same amount as Bloodborne, despite selling far more units. This means the average sale price on Day's Gone was considerably cheaper
  • Show me a PS game that got a sequel with worse metacritic, worse sales, and a bigger team
  • Don't even sell that well not don't even sold that well. Why is it that foreigners on forums are the most ridiculous
  • For marketing purposes they're zombies, stop it
of course, because i tear you apart every time you are making shit up.

1. we had full list of games, where it was shown the average price of games. Days Gone is far from the lowest. stop making argument X thing is better then Y is shit, i don't care what Bloodborne generated. it got no sequel either for that matter :D
2. Knack? by the way, you sneak in a lot of qualifiers out of nowhere, i just ignore them whatsoever and add games like Infamous 3, Gravity Rush 2 etc etc
3. didn't sell, better?
4. for marketing purposes they were Infected.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
of course, because i tear you apart every time you are making shit up.

Yeah, you wish.

1. we had full list of games, where it was shown the average price of games. Days Gone is far from the lowest. stop making argument X thing is better then Y is shit, i don't care what Bloodborne generated. it got no sequel either for that matter :D

It was cheaper than the games you're comparing it to... You bringing up Bloodborne helps my argument not yours.

2. Knack? by the way, you sneak in a lot of qualifiers out of nowhere, i just ignore them whatsoever and add games like Infamous 3, Gravity Rush 2 etc etc

Yeah, qualifiers are what you use when you're talking about a nuanced topic... You're not good at this.

Knack's development team was tiny as was gravity rush.

All the primary infamous games graded in the 80s, but even that wasn't enough to keep them going.

3. didn't sell, better?

Yeah, English.

4. for marketing purposes they were Infected.

Yeah okay

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It was cheaper than the games you're comparing it to... You bringing up Bloodborne helps my argument not yours.
you brought Bloodborne not me.

Yeah, qualifiers are what you use when you're talking about a nuanced topic... You're not good at this.
''is that it sold due to heavy discounting and isn't a prestigious franchise''

this is your original qualifiers.

you used new ones as your those two gave you an L. goalpost mover..
Knack's development team was tiny as was gravity rush.

All the primary infamous games graded in the 80s, but even that wasn't enough to keep them going.
Days Gone team was small too, they started with just 50 people and worked it for years, it was last year when they had to finish the game, their team was expanded(can't remember from interviews, but something up to 120), but nothing close to industry standard for AAA team and after all, they made AAA game.
so there is nothing to brag about team size as Bend studio was small.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The horde tech is the most impressive part of days gone, There can be many organic gameplay moments that can happen. Ultimately I feel the PS4 tech limited the scope and potential of Days Gone, If it would have been on PS5 I feel we would have seen the full potential of horde mechanics.

I feel we are going to get a state of decay type game from Bend.

Reactions: Danja

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
well, it's an estimation, since the studio has a team of 60 people and it had 3 years of development
In japan, i doubt they earn 100k a year. Even so.
60 devs is 6M a year, so 3.5 years equal 21M.
Add other workers, what, half of that, and you have 31M.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
well, it's an estimation, since the studio has a team of 60 people and it had 3 years of development
I would be surprised if the game cost more than 20M to make, this is why Nintendo gets those profits- their mario games sell gangbusters and cost peanuts to make

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas