Death Stranding 2: On the Beach sets a new gaming benchmark

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yesterday, Sony unveiled the second installment of the Death Stranding franchise, subtitled 'On the Beach.' Amidst the expected quirkiness only Kojima can provide and a mysterious plotline that cannot yet be deciphered, I believe it's important to highlight that this game is on its way to set a new gaming benchmark in terms of graphical fidelity and overall care in approaching the visuals.

The following screenshots are from the trailer, and from what can be perceived, they are from gameplay sections and not cutscenes. It is very likely that these scenes were scripted, but they should showcase the graphical fidelity we can expect when traversing the mysterious world envisioned by Kojima.

Lighting and shadows: Most if not all objects in a scene feature ambient occlusion. Shadows behave realistically, however there's nothing that points to the usage of Ray Tracing. It's very likely that the game will feature the same baked lighting implementation from Horizon Forbidden West, with 12 bakes.

SonAGOu.png

To showcase how good lighting in DS2 looks, we can actually compare it to a contemporary game that has been praised by some for its graphical chops. For the purposes of this comparison and to try and show the difference in material quality and fidelity, I found a screenshot that closely resembles the scene in composition:

[DS2]
ChFcbc1.jpeg

[Starfield]
VqsVoZq.jpeg

Motion Blur: The game appears to make ample use of per-object motion blur with varying settings depending on the distance from the camera.
D9AQRCn.png

Volumetric Fog and Clouds: The volumetric fog looks outstanding, and this particular scene seems to showcase an implementation very similar to the cloud system from Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores. Below, you can find a comparison with Alan Wake 2 running on an RTX 4090 at 4k.

[DS2]
f3kzy2W.png

[AW2]
u9zDMoE.png

When delving into the cutscenes, I would like to highlight a couple that vividly exemplify the exceptional composition and artistic choices present in the game. These scenes speak for themselves, showcasing not only the technical prowess but also the meticulous attention to detail and narrative impact. Both are compared with two modern games praised for their realistic depiction of human motion and emotion:

[DS2]
Fl6QeH5.png

[HB2]
GkilV2Y.png

[DS2]
lSNedPB.png

[HFW Burning Shores]
fmy1nCR.jpeg

I don't believe I need to emphasize how impressive the textures are in DS2. The extensive utilization of photogrammetry, the meticulous attention to materials and their interaction with light and the environment—everything is carefully curated. What are your thoughts on what you've seen?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Cannot wait for this, really enjoyed DS1
Nice thread @Satoru

And I was blown away by just how incredible that preview was last night.

It made everything, especially in the graphics department, look so last-gen.

Hellblade 2 looks ugly compared to it.

• Heart
Reactions: Satoru
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
GFN1h5qWAAEIyuJ.png

QVEohqF.jpg

Even the big boys agree that Death Stranding Two is better than anything out there.
Completely insane. HB2 looks anything between passable and outstanding, it's wildly inconsistent . DS2 so far looks very consistent and outstanding overall. Alan Wake 2 looks much better than HB2 IMO, and it still doesn't surpass DS2. This is IMO the new benchmark for current gen titles.

Reactions: Sircaw
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
TLDR:

Game looks and sounds incredible, but gameplay isn't the main focus.
The gameplay is one of the core features of the game. You have a whole weight system and mechanics to balance your character during traversal. Yes the game is story heavy, and driving is not particularly pleasant, but the game has overall excellent gameplay regardless

Reactions: ethomaz
24 Jun 2022
After having to temper his more scathing commentary on Forza Motorsport in the comparison precisely because of idiots like that blade user, I think John is just getting tired of dealing with the diehard Xbox community, and console warriors in general (tho we know Xbox's are much more persistent and toxic on average).

Can't say I blame him.

Also yes, what they showed with DS2 was amazing. I think it very well could be the best-looking game upon its release. Something's finally gotta knock Horizon Forbidden West off that throne and it seems like Death Stranding 2 (ironically also a Decima Engine game) will be the one to do it.

Death Stranding is a game that focus on spectacle other than gameplay, and the Decima Engine is great for that.

Tell me the robots kicked your ass in HFW without telling me the robots kicked your ass in HFW: The Comment.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
It looks incredible, and proof that it doesn’t matter whatever rendering technique you’re using or not, it’s about many aspects of the image coming together to create something impressive and DS2 really takes the cake here.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru
OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Someone on GAF posted these and I think they illustrate faces look in both games

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

HB2 looks fantastic as well here, but there's something really uncanny about the movement of her facial muscles. It seems as if they mocaped her face and then dialed the movement to 11, it doesn't look natural at all. Its hard to compare the scene itself because the tone is wildly different, but HB seems to have the edge in how teeth are represented. The rest I won't comment on because again, the tone of the scene is very different and comparing stuff like eyes and skin shading is hard with such different settings.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
2025 seems like a great year ! After 4 years, this gen will finally begin.

GkXRe7M.gif
Jan-31-2024-19-44-17.gif

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
To me, the actors in death stranding look like the actual actors with maybe some movie filter over it and not a game so i don’t know how i gets much better than that

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Someone on GAF posted these and I think they illustrate faces look in both games

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

HB2 looks fantastic as well here, but there's something really uncanny about the movement of her facial muscles. It seems as if they mocaped her face and then dialed the movement to 11, it doesn't look natural at all. Its hard to compare the scene itself because the tone is wildly different, but HB seems to have the edge in how teeth are represented. The rest I won't comment on because again, the tone of the scene is very different and comparing stuff like eyes and skin shading is hard with such different settings.

The uncannies is on purpose because it's supposed to showcase her paranoia. Hellblade looks better (better looking teeth, facial textures) but again, Hellblade 2 is super linear, DS2 is open world so some sacrifices were made.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Death Stranding is a game that focus on spectacle other than gameplay, and the Decima Engine is great for that.
Maybe different opinions.

But the whole world in Death Stranding is a big gameplay puzzle.
That was what amazed me that each step you do was focused on gameplay.

People talks about presentation and cutscenes but in reality it is one of the Kojima games with less cutscenes (it really has very few cutscenes to the size of the game)… it is focused in the gameplay loop that happens at each step you do.

It is genial.

OP
OP
Satoru

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The uncannies is on purpose because it's supposed to showcase her paranoia. Hellblade looks better (better looking teeth, facial textures) but again, Hellblade 2 is super linear, DS2 is open world so some sacrifices were made.
Yeah, it's as on purpose as Starfield being boring is on purpose.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just my two cents…

Paranoia should not be uncanny.