Death Stranding 2: On the Beach sets a new gaming benchmark

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Someone on GAF posted these and I think they illustrate faces look in both games

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

HB2 looks fantastic as well here, but there's something really uncanny about the movement of her facial muscles. It seems as if they mocaped her face and then dialed the movement to 11, it doesn't look natural at all. Its hard to compare the scene itself because the tone is wildly different, but HB seems to have the edge in how teeth are represented. The rest I won't comment on because again, the tone of the scene is very different and comparing stuff like eyes and skin shading is hard with such different settings.

That’s from the meta human tech demo, it didn’t look quite like that in the latest trailer.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Someone on GAF posted these and I think they illustrate faces look in both games

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

HB2 looks fantastic as well here, but there's something really uncanny about the movement of her facial muscles. It seems as if they mocaped her face and then dialed the movement to 11, it doesn't look natural at all. Its hard to compare the scene itself because the tone is wildly different, but HB seems to have the edge in how teeth are represented. The rest I won't comment on because again, the tone of the scene is very different and comparing stuff like eyes and skin shading is hard with such different settings.
I don’t know if DS2 will downgrade (maybe, maybe not 🤷‍♂️) but HB2 doesn’t like that anymore.

And I believe they are running on PC yet.
Let’s see how it will translate to most powerful console in world.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Absolutely absurd visuals. Idk how this type of shit is even made!

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

If you took a still of each of these and walked around asking people "which one is the photo?" I think just about every single one of the non gaming public would pick Hellblade 2. DS2 looks very good obviously, but the characters still look gamey to me. But that's also just the style I guess. As soon as you see both of them in motion, it's pretty obvious that neither are real. I'd actually be curious to see the original capture session for this on HB2, her facial movement around the cheeks seems really over the top (easy for me to say sitting here of course). I do think the DS2 environments seem better. They aren't trying to hide any detail or scope in darkness or fog.

Funny you mention the animation too, when I was watching th DS2 trailer, when that guitar guy came on my thought was "Man this guy is sounding really into his performance, but the face is barely moving."

Seems like these two games might cause fanboy graphics battles. But from what I've seen I think HB2 tries to look more photorealistic and DS2 will have more environment detail and of course much larger scope. And DS2 will actually have gameplay. :p

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022

lm4rL5F.gif

rfmfsU6.gif

All the budget went on the face

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
DF discussion on Death Stranding 2. They seem to believe there's at least some level of RTGI