Departing PlayStation Chief Jim Ryan Reveals the Biggest Challenges of His 30-Year Career

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
After three decades at PlayStation, Jim Ryan , who’s stepping down next month as SIE president and CEO, has seen the industry he loves undergo dramatic shifts. Amid the upheaval, Ryan says he wouldn’t change a moment of it.

“I’m just so grateful that I didn’t work in a boring industry,” he says. Ryan believes the pandemic-era launch of the PlayStation 5 was the greatest challenge — yet the most rewarding achievement — of his 30-year tenure at Sony. “It was my job to exude a sense of calm and serenity,” he says, then adds, “Actually, I was there at my dining-room table, head in my hands, wondering how we were going to do this.”

A mountain of obstacles stood in Sony’s way. “We assemble the great majority of the PlayStations in China, and nobody could get in. Finishing games when developers couldn’t get together and eat pizza and brainstorm about their craft was another thing,” he says. “And then, the not-unimportant task of selling our product to our consumers when retail was entirely closed.”

In the three years since the PS5 launch, Sony has sold more than 50 million units. “I’m so proud of what the team achieved back in 2020,” Ryan says.

Ryan announced his decision to step down last September. In the months since, layoffs have swept across the gaming industry, with cuts made at Microsoft Gaming, Riot Games and Epic Games. “It obviously is a difficult time for many,” Ryan says, offering PlayStation staffers encouragement to stay the course. “I would just say that nobody can ever be complacent, and nobody can ever feel that anything’s forever.”

After Ryan departs, Hiroki Totoki, Sony’s president and chief operating officer, will step in as interim CEO of SIE effective April 1. Ryan says he has full confidence in Totoki’s leadership and won’t second-guess Totoki and Sony CEO Kenichiro Yoshida’s choice as his ultimate successor. He shares one piece of advice for the new PlayStation boss, which he contends must remain the “cornerstone” for SIE: “Never forget that we’re an entertainment business. … If we continue to entertain, delight and surprise our community of gamers, I think Totoki-san and whoever follows him will be just fine.”

On the eve of his exit, Ryan says he won’t miss the chronic jet- lag amid years of regular flights between Sony headquarters in Tokyo, his home in London and PlayStation ops in San Mateo, Calif.

But he’s got a new quest in mind, which he’ll only tease for now. “I still have huge resources of energy and passion that I’m looking forward to deploying in some slightly different ways,” Ryan says. “I’ve got a few things bubbling. I can’t say what they are — but I am going to take my life in a little different direction.

Below, Ryan breaks down his top titles from each generation of PlayStation.

PS1: ‘Ridge Racer,’ 1994

“I and most people were like, ‘Wow, this is really different and a really fun and enjoyable game to play.’ It set the standard for much of what was to follow in that generation.”

PS2: ‘Grand Theft Auto 3,’ 2001

“That was just such a transformative title for that generation and as a cultural moment. It’s had a huge and lasting impact on the gaming industry and certainly on PlayStation.”

PS3: ‘Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune,’ 2007

“Technology at this point was starting to enable storytelling and narrative and emotion in a different way from anything that had been possible hitherto. I’m very proud that that came from our own studio, Naughty Dog.”

PS4: ‘Marvel’s Spider-Man,’ 2018

“That game was so amazing, and seemed to resonate so well with the PlayStation community. It set us up for takeoff in the second half of what was a really successful cycle.”

PS5: ‘God of War Ragnarök,’ 2022

“It’s obviously a wonderful game, and was wonderfully critiqued. But it coincided with the time that we were finally able to start building enough PlayStation 5s. Things snowballed in a beautiful way.”

https://variety.com/2024/gaming/news/playstation-jim-ryan-ceo-sony-1235917687/

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Season 1 King GIF by The Spanish Princess

PlayStation's best CEO... so far!

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The most hated man in gaming who was viciously attacked for every word, every picture, every interview he made during 4+ years. Phil and his goons dragged him through the mud relentlessly. PS fans blamed him for everything.

I don't know where he got the strength to carry on.

He's leaving on a high note with Helldivers breaking all the records. Good for him.

well done good job GIF by America's Got Talent

The same garbage people already moved to attack Totoki. Time is a flat circle 🙄

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
His biggest challenge was finding the best way to fuck what made Playstation what it is in hurt 5 years. Second best one seeing by how many millions of units he could miss his sales targets

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
On one hand he's been there from the start so I at least knew he some what understood what PlayStation is about though he implemented stuff that has lead us down a shaky path and eroded the brand strength in many areas.

Even so I'd rather him than the new non gaming CEO who is about to take over and wreck the brand.

But Jim Ryan is leaving PlayStation a shadow of itself and has completely weakend the brand especially in Europe and Asia. And definitely weakend their stance with 3rd party partnerships.

Along with him and Hermen, has fucked Playstation studios for the next 5+ years.

GoodBYE 👋🏼

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The most hated man in gaming who was viciously attacked for every word, every picture, every interview he made during 4+ years. Phil and his goons dragged him through the mud relentlessly. PS fans blamed him for everything.

He's leaving on a high note with Helldivers breaking all the records. Good for him.

well done good job GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

Totoki is trash, sorry not sorry.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Wonder how long it will be until the haters realise we've traded a passionate PlayStation guy who has been with the company since the beginning for a corporate blow in from Japan whose only interest is increasing margins.

That they deathrode a guy who saved PlayStation twice. Once during COVID, and before that during the PS3 era when Europe was the only thing keeping PS3 competitive

That we had a fighter who took Microsoft down and stood alone against 80 billion in acquisitions and not only triumphed, but made Xbox go third party

Now we've got a banker with no connection to PS who failed twice with Sony Network (a mediocre local ISP) and Sony Mobile which went defunct in 2021. Fun times ahead! Oh and the guy who was snaking backdoor deals with Microsoft Azure is the one who put him there

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

well done good job GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

Phil sucks, thats not even the discussion.

Ryan sold the units and dealt with covid well, fought the hate and Shills from MS including gamepass bs and multiple big Acquisitions like never before. It was awful times.

But the games on PC, cross gen and lack of PS studio management wasnt a great job. Im guessing it wasnt his decisions either, probably from the top.
Also shows/presentstions have taken an overall big drop in quality since previous generations.

PS5 was going in strong from the PS4 lets not forget that. But he was a apart of the 2009 onwards team that saved PS3 and brought them to huge success for PS4.

It could of been alot worse, but the 1st party and 3rd party situation could of been alot better with the power PS held after PS4 generation.

As for Totoki, or any suit who encourages PC releases outside of multiplayer at most, Fuck them.

Well done to his overall career, Helldivers 2 must feel good

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Wonder how long it will be until the haters realise we've traded a passionate PlayStation guy who has been with the company since the beginning for a corporate blow in from Japan whose only interest is increasing margins.

That they deathrode a guy who saved PlayStation twice. Once during COVID, and before that during the PS3 era when Europe was the only thing keeping PS3 competitive

That we had a fighter who took Microsoft down and stood alone against 80 billion in acquisitions and not only triumphed, but made Xbox go third party

Now we've got a banker with no connection to PS who failed twice with Sony Network (a mediocre local ISP) and Sony Mobile which went defunct in 2021. Fun times ahead! Oh and the guy who was snaking backdoor deals with Microsoft Azure is the one who put him there

He wasnt perfect, but he dealt with MS well.
And I dont trust whoever is coming next if it means less investment in PS studios, 3rd party exclusives, acquisitions and more PC ports.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
On one hand he's been there from the start so I at least knew he some what understood what PlayStation is about though he implemented stuff that has lead us down a shaky path and eroded the brand strength in many areas.

Even so I'd rather him than the new non gaming CEO who is about to take over and wreck the brand.

But Jim Ryan is leaving PlayStation a shadow of itself and has completely weakend the brand especially in Europe and Asia. And definitely weakend their stance with 3rd party partnerships.

Along with him and Hermen, has fucked Playstation studios for the next 5+ years.

GoodBYE 👋🏼
Overhated. Jim was a good CEO. He made some mistakes and said things fans didn't like. But he did what he could against the pressures of modern capitalism. Gaming is no longer an industry dominated by gamers in leadership positions. More and more it is dominated by stock watchers and people who exist solely to try to squeeze every last penny from their customers.

Do you really think Jim was terrible? Well his successor is someone not unlike Bobby Kotick. The biggest problem Jim had was being incompetent at communicating with the fanbase. Which, admittedly, is a big part of the job - but given everything that's happened, he was still able to deliver a decent lineup of quality games to the console under his watch.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Overhated. Jim was a good CEO. He made some mistakes and said things fans didn't like. But he did what he could against the pressures of modern capitalism. Gaming is no longer an industry dominated by gamers in leadership positions. More and more it is dominated by stock watchers and people who exist solely to try to squeeze every last penny from their customers.

Do you really think Jim was terrible? Well his successor is someone not unlike Bobby Kotick. The biggest problem Jim had was being incompetent at communicating with the fanbase. Which, admittedly, is a big part of the job - but given everything that's happened, he was still able to deliver a decent lineup of quality games to the console under his watch.
Never said he was terrible lol. I don't think he was bad but it's clear he also didn't fully understand the full dynamics of the PlayStation brand machine and made moves that deflated their own momentum over time.

I will give him credit for launching the PS5 amidst Covid. I won't give him credit for the first two years line up as that was set in motion by Shu, Connie and Shawn Layden. He changed the structure of the entire company for the worst. PlayStation strived because it was never ran a by "king" until he came about. The 3 branch structure allowed push back, healthy competition, innovative way to push the brand from within... We saw all of that wiped out and the effects were instantly felt.

I can't think a single time the PlayStation brand took a beating in a media and PR wise than under Jim.... 2006 - 2009 at least they were extremely reactive to it and bettered themselves.

I don't know how anyone can honestly say they are 100% confident in the future of the brand. I am not and that falls partially at his feet.

With that said I've always said from the minute he retired and we found out who would be the immediate replacement, we'll wish we still had Jim.

Still not gonna overlook what Jim Ryan and his lackeys did to the PlayStation brand this generation though, sorry.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Never said he was terrible lol. I don't think he was bad but it's clear he also didn't fully understand the full dynamics of the PlayStation brand machine and made moves that deflated their own momentum over time.

I will give him credit for launching the PS5 amidst Covid. I won't give him credit for the first two years line up as that was set in motion by Shu, Connie and Shawn Layden. He changed the structure of the entire company for the worst. PlayStation strived because it was never ran a by "king" until he came about. The 3 branch structure allowed push back, healthy competition, innovative way to push the brand from within... We saw all of that wiped out and the effects were instantly felt.

I can't think a single time the PlayStation brand took a beating in a media and PR wise than under Jim.... 2006 - 2009 at least they were extremely reactive to it and bettered themselves.

I don't know how anyone can honestly say they are 100% confident in the future of the brand. I am not and that falls partially at his feet.

With that said I've always said from the minute he retired and we found out who would be the immediate replacement, we'll wish we still had Jim.

Still not gonna overlook what Jim Ryan and his lackeys did to the PlayStation brand this generation though, sorry.
To be honest a lot of that damage was on the backs of a ridiculously intense media PR campaign backed by MS due to them trying to characterize Sony as an evil greedy overlord and them being the good guy underdog with gamepass. If I don't pay attention to the twitter narrative I'm pretty happy with the game library on ps5, outside of 2021 which was kind of mid (even though returnal was great, everything else was meh)

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
His biggest challenge was finding the best way to fuck what made Playstation what it is in hurt 5 years. Second best one seeing by how many millions of units he could miss his sales targets

Im sure that's what the Sony CEO is doing now not Jim ryan

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
To be honest a lot of that damage was on the backs of a ridiculously intense media PR campaign backed by MS due to them trying to characterize Sony as an evil greedy overlord and them being the good guy underdog with gamepass. If I don't pay attention to the twitter narrative I'm pretty happy with the game library on ps5, outside of 2021 which was kind of mid (even though returnal was great, everything else was meh)
It's not hard for Sony to control the narrative WHEN they want to. We also saw first hand Jim can also counter or take down any PR campaign the competition was running but they chose to stay silent and let things run rampant. The PS5 is mediocre if we remove cross gen. And I'm sure that's part of the reason PS4 owners aren't upgrading because there's really no major reason to. There's not a single player exclusive locked to the platform other than Demon Souls.

I don't trust the new CEO and he's even a worse walking PR disaster than Jim Ryan it seems.

This generation was suppose to Playstation triumphant run around the field, they had everything in place from PS4 era.... Yet it's fell apart in some ways.

The drop off in sales is the market speaking. The brand has never felt more cold than it is currently.

Reactions: J_Paganel

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It's not hard for Sony to control the narrative WHEN they want to. We also saw first hand Jim can also counter or take down any PR campaign the competition was running but they chose to stay silent and let things run rampant. The PS5 is mediocre if we remove cross gen. And I'm sure that's part of the reason PS4 owners aren't upgrading because there's really no major reason to. There's not a single player exclusive locked to the platform other than Demon Souls.

I don't trust the new CEO and he's even a worse walking PR disaster than Jim Ryan it seems.

This generation was suppose to Playstation triumphant run around the field, they had everything in place from PS4 era.... Yet it's fell apart in some ways.

The drop off in sales is the market speaking. The brand has never felt more cold than it is currently.
Yup. The new CEO is more interested in talking to the shareholders than the customers who invest in his platform.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

GoodBYE 👋🏼
Horrible take. He’s a big reason PS became a power in Europe. He rebuilt Sony Liverpool in Firesprite that the previous administration killed. Also he didn’t weaken their stance with 3rd parties. They’re still have many 3rd party partners. The issue is that MS started opening up the wallet again for those 3rd party deals.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Horrible take. He’s a big reason PS became a power in Europe. He rebuilt Sony Liverpool in Firesprite that the previous administration killed. Also he didn’t weaken their stance with 3rd parties. They’re still have many 3rd party partners. The issue is that MS started opening up the wallet again for those 3rd party deals.
PlayStation was always strong in Europe this whole narrative they weren't until Jim became president is weird? European market was simply more loyal during the PS3 era. Yes he helped but Europe became their Fortress thanks to Christopher Deering. PlayStation is definitely not as strong with 3rd parties especially in Japan

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer