Destiny 2 developer Bungie is the latest PlayStation studio to have layoffs. Full scope isn't clear yet, but CEO Pete Parsons emailed the company.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Uh oh ... "just wait" has been the refrain of another platform holder, and I don't think that's worked out too well for them.
Except I am not saying "just wait", but lay offs are happening everywhere. And they have games coming. Why are we acting like the sky is falling as if Marathan and their next game will suddenly be cancelled as well.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Except I am not saying "just wait", but lay offs are happening everywhere. And they have games coming. Why are we acting like the sky is falling as if Marathan and their next game will suddenly be cancelled as well.
Not sure anyone is acting like the sky is falling. But layoffs aren't a good sign either so ... it's unfortunate that it's hitting so many people.

Also you literally said "just wait." :p

Apparently it was social media staff that got cut.

Was that it? If so, it sucks for the people involved, but that's not quite the same as laying off parts of the creative teams.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Not sure anyone is acting like the sky is falling. But layoffs aren't a good sign either so ... it's unfortunate that it's hitting so many people.

Also you literally said "just wait." :p
Yes I said that but context also matters? I said they will do great things just wait... They have 2 new IP's working on and we haven't gotten a release from them yet. I was replying to someone calling them a waste of money.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan and his vision for GAAS has been a disaster for Playstation.
Most of the Sony GaaS were greenlighted before the Jim Ryan era. Most Sony games greenlighted by him aren't GaaS.
He just followed the company's long term strategy.

And how is a dissaster to make more revenue and profit than ever, while selling more games than ever and winning more awards than ever?

huh? weren't they just hiring a few months ago?
They continue hiring. They have many open job positions right now. For Destiny, Marathon, their "incubation project" and an unannounced game.

Also, Sony bought Bungie solely for their GAAS experience
Maybe they bought them also because they make a shit ton of money, created 2 of the biggest IPs in gaming and are a top tier MP studio and a top tier FPS studio.

Probably related to winding down Destiny 2 in favor of Marathon.
Destiny 2 continues being super successful, won't shut it down soon. They have another major Destiny 2 expansion scheduled for next year.

So this is their GaaS crap falling apart.
Nothing is falling apart. Destiny 2 continues being super successful, Marathon reveal trailer broke records on Youtube and Bungie continues hiring. And looking at their open job positions webpage they are working apparently on at least 4 different games.

We need a Japanese in charge again, get rid of all this GaaS fat and stick to what you know, plus acquiring actual IPs, not GaaS studios.
Japanese would favor not only GaaS, but also gatcha and mobile gaming, which is the most popular stuff there.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Back in the day there were many people who attacked me for saying Jim and Hermen were no good....

They also attacked me till I felt I had to leave Twitter for saying PC ports were rubbish and subs were not doing so well.

I hope in time the same people can admit that I was right, when the evidence emerges.

I liked the Bungie acquisition though and I think that was the right way to handle GAAS.... buy an expert in the area but delays happen.
I don't think people should have lost their jobs over a delay...only if they were doing a project or work that went nowhere, maybe.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
Every once in a great moon even a certified lunatic can be correctZ Broken clocks and all that but I think he’s actually right here:

He's making up garbage like he always does. He doesn't know shit about the going ons at Sony

Reactions: AshHunter216

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Some people seriously need a long break from social media if they're at the point where they're taking Timdog's fanboy takes seriously. This was the same guy who was following people into Best Buy to see if they would buy an Xbox.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Another non Jason Source for people who don't like him. What a waste of money for Jim Ryan and Sony.

Celebrate Regular Season GIF by MLB

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Every once in a great moon even a certified lunatic can be correctZ Broken clocks and all that but I think he’s actually right here:

I rather believe every words that come out of Phil Spencer's mouth as gospel rather than believe what this inhaler breathing 50 years old blob have to say. Just a few days ago Timmy went on a tangent bout how the PlayStation fanbase should stay in their own lane and not worry about what's going on at Xbox. Perhaps he should follow his own advice.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Rest in piss.

That being said, there is a storm coming. Layoffs aren't unusual in tech this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Dont they got a billion dollar retention plan when they got acquired? What happened with that money? Remember they got acquired last year so it wasn't even a long time ago.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Dont they got a billion dollar retention plan when they got acquired? What happened with that money? Remember they got acquired last year so wasn't even a long time ago.
Yes, they had a retention plan. Which is compatible with firing a few people (in case layoffs are true). Retention bonuses are to incentivize workers to continue in the studio, but obviously they can still be fired.