Destiny 2 The Final Shape received overwhelmingly positively by critics and fans (94 top critic rating)

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes, I still think it's an awful acquisition. They spent 3.7 billion dollars and you guys are giddy over a decent DLC lmao.

This was nothing but a poor shortsighted knee jerk reaction to the ABK acquisition and will never make sense no matter how much you guys love this game. On the brightside, at least Destiny revenue helps cover up how the awful PC ports are doing 🤣

And I see yall conveniently forgot about what happened last year 😂

image.png
To be fair... Final Shape is kinda the first DLC under proper Sony supervision, so it's very possible that Sony's engagement is helping steer Destiny back on track.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Reactions: Bryank75

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
A DLC that will generate over $500 million revenue in the launch window...
For it to make 500 million in the launch window this DLC would have to sell 5 million copies at full price (50 dollars + 50 dollars from the Season Pass). I highly doubt they will sell that this year, let alone during the launch window. Lifetime? Possibly.

Bungie's revenue is probably below 500M a year, there's no way a DLC makes that same amount in a launch window.

This is not to detract from the game, I don't play it, but your math doesn't really check out.

Reactions: Shadow2027

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
A DLC that will generate over $500 million revenue in the launch window...

What is wrong with Lightfall at all? I liked it.
500m during launch window? 😂😂

To be fair... Final Shape is kinda the first DLC under proper Sony supervision, so it's very possible that Sony's engagement is helping steer Destiny back on track.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
Under proper Sony supervision? Sony isn't doing anything, those idiots are the ones asking Bungie to supervise THEM. Outside of writing checks, Sony had no contribution to this DLC

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
For it to make 500 million in the launch window this DLC would have to sell 5 million copies at full price (50 dollars + 50 dollars from the Season Pass). I highly doubt they will sell that this year, let alone during the launch window. Lifetime? Possibly.

Bungie's revenue is probably below 500M a year, there's no way a DLC makes that same amount in a launch window.

This is not to detract from the game, I don't play it, but your math doesn't really check out.
The game is having over 1.7 million unique players daily (yeap here there is no hack... everybody needs to pay for it).... and you know Destiny is a game that people plays in different days.... like there are these that only play on weekends and these that only play on Tuesdays.... etc.
I can't see it not doing 5 million at launch window... we are looking more like if it will reach 10 million in launch window.

Bungie's yearly revenue (with expansion) is probably around $200m on PC and Over $500m on consoles... PC is around 1/3 of the userbase... to be fair it is 25% (1/4) but I'm trying to be generous with PC :p

BTW most Destiny's revenue come from launch window.
MTX is estimated to be around $100m a year (they shared sometime that they did $160m in less than 2 years).

Last edited:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The game is having over 1.7 million unique players daily.... and you know Destiny is a game that people plays in different days.... like there are these that only play on weekends and these that only play on Tuesdays.... etc.
I can't see it not doing 5 million at launch window... we are looking more like if it will reach 10 million in launch window.

Honestly I think there's zero chance this sells 5 million copies in 12 months, let alone 3 months. You can't just assume because there's 1.7M players a day that they are unique (rather most of them will probably be repeat players), and that all of them will buy the expansion. I also calculated the price at the highest possible amount, which is completely unrealistic. For it to make 500M at 75 quid average per player spend (still high) you're talking about 6.67M sales.

I also don't believe they have 1.7M players a day, and have seen no objective proof of this, but whatever, besides the point.

Under proper Sony supervision? Sony isn't doing anything, those idiots are the ones asking Bungie to supervise THEM. Outside of writing checks, Sony had no contribution to this DLC
I don't know, I'm speculating.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Honestly I think there's zero chance this sells 5 million copies in 12 months, let alone 3 months. You can't just assume because there's 1.7M players a day that they are unique (rather most of them will probably be repeat players), and that all of them will buy the expansion. I also calculated the price at the highest possible amount, which is completely unrealistic. For it to make 500M at 75 quid average per player spend (still high) you're talking about 6.67M sales.

I also don't believe they have 1.7M players a day, and have seen no objective proof of this, but whatever, besides the point.
Well I will only say you are heavy underestimating how many people play Destiny to be fair.
Steam is the weakest platform (25%) and even there it is peaking at 200k, 300k CCU.

23 May 2024
Where's all the ppl on here that were trashing Bungie?
lol we acting like Bungie hate was not warranted?

Lightfall was complete ass, Lightfall and its first season caused me to uninstall the game, a series I played non stop for 9 years. The leaks about how bad it’s been there did not help. this expansion, in true Bungo fashion was not ass, this was excellent.

This is the life of a Destiny fan.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I would ballpark at final shape having sold close to 2.5 million expansions within its first week. Majority are hardcore players buying the entire year of content.

It’s doing over 1.5 million a day in pve activities alone according to API trackers. Anecdotal but this is higher than the previous two expansions.

While pc and Xbox sales are said to be included in other services charts previously released etc… you also don’t have PlayStation revenues detailed. Bungie has never historically revealed this info.

With today’s launch of episode 1 all eyes are seeing how it holds player engagement moving forward with the new model and the successful launch of final shape. Basically see how long it stays above 100k peak steam concurrent

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
lol we acting like Bungie hate was not warranted?

Lightfall was complete ass, Lightfall and its first season caused me to uninstall the game, a series I played non stop for 9 years. The leaks about how bad it’s been there did not help. this expansion, in true Bungo fashion was not ass, this was excellent.

This is the life of a Destiny fan.

Pretty ballsy to judge a multi billion dollar M&A over 1 DLC...

Like most overreactions, it hasn't played out well and is looking more reactionary than analysis.

As I mentioned in real time, most of the people against the Bungie M&A were fanboys who were angry the money wasn't going towards single player gaming. It was never genuine business analysis. These people wanted square enix locked up so that every square enix game was on PlayStation. Would these people necessarily buy those games? No, but they like the idea of it.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's performing great so far.

They added the Xboxera review (7/10, they gave a 10/10 to Hellblade 2) and the average dropped to 93% top critic average, 90% critics recommend. They don't include a retarded review from "GamersRD" where it scored 46/100.

According to Steamdb:
  • Continues top 4 in "Top Currently Global Selling Steam Games"
  • Right now it's top 5 (not counting the Source SDK) in "most played games", has a troll viral free shovelware title above that in a few days won't be in the list
  • The Final Shape release caused a 314.6K CCU peak, almost achieving its all time peak in Steam (316.8K CCU), has daily peaks of around 200K+ CCUs
  • it has 78.20% positive Steam reviews ("Very positive")

Pretty ballsy to judge a multi billion dollar M&A over 1 DLC...

Like most overreactions, it hasn't played out well and is looking more reactionary than analysis.

As I mentioned in real time, most of the people against the Bungie M&A were fanboys who were angry the money wasn't going towards single player gaming. It was never genuine business analysis. These people wanted square enix locked up so that ever square enix game was on PlayStation. Would these people necessarily buy those games? No, but they like the idea of it.
I add that some of these fanboys also were/are angry because Sony kept them multiplatform after the acquisition.

Destiny 2 has been super successful and continues delivering. And looking also at their performance with Destiny 1 and Halo, pretty likely their future titles will do a great job too. Plus can be a good help to the other Sony GaaS or FPS titles (people so far is very happy with Helldivers 2, GT7 and MLB).

Maybe it's too early, but it was a great acquisition. Something I tihnk will be visible after they release a few new games and the first movie/animation adaptations. I'm pretty sure that over time we'll see this acquisition more profitable and important than the Insomniac one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mibu no ookami

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony acquired Bungie, and now they’re making good content?

It's almost like when pressure is applied by people checking in on how things are going, people are more on task?

More accountability, and also Sony i think had talks with internal management at Bungie, then you saw some big heads leave the company and productivity increased.

Bodes well for future projects like Destiny 3. Word is out on Marathon.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I add that some of these fanbosy also were/are angry because Sony kept them multiplatform after the acquisition.

Destiny 2 has been super successful and countinues delivering. And looking also at their performance with Destiny 1 and Halo, pretty likely their future titles will do a great job too. Plus can be a good help to the other Sony GaaS or FPS titles.

Maybe it's too early, but it was a great acquisition. Something I tihnk will be visible after they release a few new games and the first movie/animation adaptations. I'm pretty sure that over time we'll see this acquisition more profitable and important than the Insomniac one.

I'll add too from a competitive perspective, preventing a reunification of Bungie and Microsoft and a resurgence of the Halo franchise was probably worth 10s of billions of dollars...

If Halo 6 was announced by Bungie and that staved off Microsoft going 3rd party and lead to at least another traditional console generation, it would have cost Sony far more.

Hands down, it'll be more impactful than the Insomniac purchase. It's just orders of magnitude bigger.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's performing great so far.

They added the Xboxera review (7/10, they gave a 10/10 to Hellblade 2) and the average dropped to 93% top critic average, 90% critics recommend. They don't include a retarded review from "GamersRD" where it scored 46/100.

According to Steamdb:
  • Continues top 4 in "Top Currently Global Selling Steam Games"
  • Right now it's top 5 (not counting the Source SDK) in "most played games", has a troll viral free shovelware title above that in a few days won't be in the list
  • The Final Shape release caused a 314.6K CCU peak, almost achieving its all time peak in Steam (316.8K CCU), has daily peaks of around 200K+ CCUs
  • it has 78.20% positive Steam reviews ("Very positive")

I add that some of these fanbosy also were/are angry because Sony kept them multiplatform after the acquisition.

Destiny 2 has been super successful and countinues delivering. And looking also at their performance with Destiny 1 and Halo, pretty likely their future titles will do a great job too. Plus can be a good help to the other Sony GaaS or FPS titles.

I think the Multiplatform issue was overreacted.
Destiny 2 was already in Xbox so continue to supporting it with expansions was the right move by Sony.

Now others titles like Marathon could be exclusive but they choose not… here as a new game I can see good arguments for both sides (these that wanted it exclusive and these that not).

But wanting Destiny to be exclusive after 8 years of Multiplatform is really overreaction… you need to support these that bought the game even if on Xbox.

Reactions: PlacidusaX

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
The "worst" purchase in Sony's story lol
It's clear that they had an important role with Helldivers
As sad as that is it might actually be true.

I still hope that Bluepoint and Housemarque end up being better acquisitions than Bungie but all of the rest look really rough right now.
I'm rooting for Housemarque too, but the fact that Returnal only sold 500k, despite good reviews copies isn't a great sign.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
It's clear that they had an important role with Helldivers
The ideia some have that Bungie is incompetent is just laughable.

A lot of companies tried to repeat what Bungie did… a 10 years live service game that keep selling every year a new expansion at full price.

Few could maintain that engagement not being free to play.

Even if they do experiments… do things maybe the community hates… they do more winners than loses.

And they again showed that… people said they where dead after the last expansion… this new one got delayed and all… and when they release it then they seat to record breaking again.

If they continue with the Sublime gunplay is really hard to move on.

And I will say more… Halo died without Bungie… it was the biggest lose Xbox ever had.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The ideia some have that Bungie is incompetent is just laughable.

A lot of companies tried to repeat what Bungie did… a 10 years live service game that keep selling every year a new expansion at full price.

Few could maintain that engagement not being free to play.

Even if they do experiments… do things maybe the community hates… they do more winners than loses.

And they again showed that… people said they where dead after the last expansion… this new one got delayed and all… and when they release it then they seat to record breaking again.

If they continue with the Sublime gunplay is really hard to move on.

And I will say more… Halo died without Bungie… it was the biggest lose Xbox ever had.
bungie isn't incompetent, they're greedy. that was always my biggest worry with bungie, that they would show sony how to stuff their games full of the bullshit FOMO tactics they use in destiny.

Reactions: Entropi

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
“Dual Destiny” exotic mission dropped yesterday. It’s “secret” and you got to do some things to unlock it. It’s what gets your random rolled exotic class items.

I haven’t looked into the mission itself since the community and the best talking heads on YT and X already calling it the best exotic mission ever. This a bold claim after Zero Hour and Whisper having returned to the game last season and are probably my two favorite missions ever. I’m looking forward to a blind run.

The mission itself is only playable in co-op with two players. No team of three or solo possible. I’ll start working on it later today.

Revisiting my first reply to this topic. This is also why XboxEra’s review is complete bullshit. They posted it after the raid was completed by the world’s first team… it took them nearly 19 hours. Do you think Xbox Era was part of 20 teams that completed it in contest mode? Doubt. Clearly activist fake bullshit that fails to address what you actually get for $50.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
“Dual Destiny” exotic mission dropped yesterday. It’s “secret” and you got to do some things to unlock it. It’s what gets your random rolled exotic class items.

I haven’t looked into the mission itself since the community and the best talking heads on YT and X already calling it the best exotic mission ever. This a bold claim after Zero Hour and Whisper having returned to the game last season and are probably my two favorite missions ever. I’m looking forward to a blind run.

The mission itself is only playable in co-op with two players. No team of three or solo possible. I’ll start working on it later today.

Revisiting my first reply to this topic. This is also why XboxEra’s review is complete bullshit. They posted it after the raid was completed by the world’s first team… it took them nearly 19 hours. Do you think Xbox Era was part of 20 teams that completed it in contest mode? Doubt. Clearly activist fake bullshit that fails to address what you actually get for $50.

I don't understand why that site is still credentialed as reviewers. It's clear they dont review in good faith.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters