DF: A Plague Tale: Requiem PC vs. Consoles Graphics Comparison

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13

* GPU-bound
* XSX runs faster than PS5 by 25%
* Draw Distance (Consoles: Medium settings compared to PC)
* Shadow Quality (Consoles: Medium)
* DOF/Motion Blur (Consoles: Medium)
* Volume Lights (Consoles: Medium)
* Light Shafts (Consoles: Medium)
* Ambient Occlusion (Consoles: Medium)
* SSR (Consoles: Medium)
* Texture Quality (Consoles: Ultra)
* PS5/XSX could run game at 60FPS *IF* the target framebuffer was 1080p vs. 1440p

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
ILikeFeet@ERA's summary.

• ray-tracing update still isn't out
  • 2070 super at max settings, dlss performance at 4K is just over 30fps
  • nov 9th patch intends to improve performance on all systems
  • scenes that shown dips shows massive improvements
  • xbox series x still runs better than ps5
  • optimized settings (2070 Super)
    • draw distance - medium
      • console uses custom settings
      • config can match console
    • shadow maps - medium
    • dof/motion blur - medium
    • volumetric lights - medium
    • contact shadows - no real performance difference
    • ambient occlusion - medium
    • screen space reflections - medium
    • texture quality - ultra
    • 29% performance uplift over ultra at 1440p/quality dlss
  • with exactly console settings, vs ps5
    • 5700 - 78%
    • 2060S - 86.5%
    • 2070S - 103.8%
    • Series X - 123%
    • 2080Ti - 146.7%
    • 6800XT - 173.1%
    • 3080 - 188.4%
    • 4090 - 372.8%
    • 4090 / FG - 500%
  • xbox scales with bandwidth vs ps5
  • 60fps is theoretically possible on consoles at 1080p
    • CPU limits are hit, as crowded scenes drop under 60fps
  • game is will multithread, *coughunlikegothamknightscough*
  • no #stutterstruggle, game seems to be compiled while booting
  • camera stutter however when vsync is on, but only the RTX 4000 cards
  • no FSR 2.0, inhouse TAAU

Reactions: Sircaw

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Runs on a HDD on PC.
Well it is suppose to run in HDD.
Or maybe I don't remember this game making use of SSDs... or most probably it was some discussion I missed? :unsure:

Edit - I was a bit impolite... sorry... I was just curious if there are something related to use of SSD with this game that I missed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Or maybe I don't remember this game making use of SSDs... or most probably it was some discussion I missed? :unsure:
He's just saying that it is a top dawg for next-gen graphics and doesn't need an SSD like the UE5 demo for consoles. Essentially they got the same kind of detail by using high res parallax occlusion mapping and very robust ambient occlusion.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
He's just saying that it is a top dawg for next-gen graphics and doesn't need an SSD like the UE5 demo for consoles. Essentially they got the same kind of detail by using high res parallax occlusion mapping and very robust ambient occlusion.
I guessed I was missing something about this game... just that... I didn't intended to be impolite... I read again my post and was a bit arrogant imo :(
This game from what I remember didn't have anything to use high streaming speeds.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

I guessed I was missing something about this game... just that... I didn't intended to be impolite... I read again my post and was a bit arrogant imo :(
This game from what I remember didn't have anything to use high streaming speeds.
The game has very high detail on the ground. Just like the UE5 demo showed. But it didn't need Nanite to achieve it. They used a combination of normal maps, parallax occlusion maps, and regular displacement. It's the most detail we've seen in a game besides the UE5 demo. I think @PlacidusaX was making a joke by saying it looks that good but didn't need a streaming SSD to make the textures look so good.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022

Edit - I was a bit impolite... sorry... I was just curious if there are something related to use of SSD with this game that I missed.
Watch Cerny road to PS5 to know what I mean.

HDD support is last gen and crippling.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Digital Fakery when a game outperforms on the PS5: Must be a bug on the Xbox version

Digital Fakery when a game outperforms on the Xbox: Xbox is better.

Rinse and repeat, one blowjob at a time. Also, funny enough, another UE game that's a poor optimized mess (even on PC). Love that the delta between low and ultra settings FPS wise is so small.

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
Damn, the 4090 be stylin.

Series X demolishing the PS5. Been winning more and more head2heads as well. The tools finally came online
geese-1.gif

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
This might be a game suited more to MS architecture, maybe using only the first 10GB of memory bandwidth which throughputs at 560/s. Keep in mind this game is not a VRAM heavy game, so the subsequent lower bandwidth 6Gb on Series X does not come into play to slow the overall pipeline in this one.

Having said that, I'll still say these guys are more used to PC and MS development platforms and are a small studio, the game on PS is definitely not as optimized as it should be.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Digital Fakery when a game outperforms on the PS5: Must be a bug on the Xbox version

Digital Fakery when a game outperforms on the Xbox: Xbox is better.

Rinse and repeat, one blowjob at a time. Also, funny enough, another UE game that's a poor optimized mess (even on PC). Love that the delta between low and ultra settings FPS wise is so small.
Asobo has their own custom engine.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Having said that, I'll still say these guys are more used to PC and MS development platforms and are a small studio, the game on PS is definitely not as optimized as it should be.
It's exactly where the XSX and PS5 hardware architecture reflects though. The XSX is indeed, 25% more powerful and the FPS reflect that.

I do agree though that they know the PC more due to FS2020 which took several years of development.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Asobo has their own custom engine.
Is it now? Interesting. I stand corrected.

It's exactly where the XSX and PS5 hardware architecture reflects though. The XSX is indeed, 25% more powerful and the FPS reflect that.

Not it's not. It has 16.5% more terrorflopies. The PS5 has better pixel fillrate, for example. It also has 10CU shader engines as opposed to 12CU shader engines, providing fewer efficiency losses. This has been discussed ad nauseum.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hezekiah
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Even worse, they probably started coding for Direct3D, and just slapped GNMX on it to translate to GNM, which adds a significant overhead on frame time due the extra CPU load.

Using custom engines such as this as benchmark is highly misleading.
Well that goes for several 3rd party companies - and yet - it's these very engines that do the most in terms of graphics features. Sony companies have had the PS4/PS5 for a bit now and the performance/graphics features on 1st party exclusive are the same as the 3rd party engines. We don't see any advantage when comparing their performance metrics to 3rd party company performance.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well that goes for several 3rd party companies - and yet - it's these very engines that do the most in terms of graphics features. Sony companies have had the PS4/PS5 for a bit now and the performance/graphics features on 1st party exclusive are the same as the 3rd party engines. We don't see any advantage when comparing their performance metrics to 3rd party company performance.

Spiderman Miles Morales running at 80fps with Ray Tracing at 1440p? I'd love to see a third party game pulling that off with decent visual fidelity.