DF-Horizon Forbidden West PC vs PS5: Enhanced Features, Performance Tests + Image Quality Boosts! |UP| 3/25 PC Benchmarks!

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 3/25

Pc Benchmarks

GeForce RTX 3060 Ti reaches the value in Full HD and the Radeon RX 6650 XT as well as the Radeon RX 7600 exceed the mark. The Radeon RX 6700 XT is already significantly above it.

In 2,560 x 1,440 include the GeForce RTX 4070 and the Radeon RX 7700 XT fast enough, in 3,840 x 2,160 this applies in conjunction with DLSS Quality or FSR Quality from a GeForce RTX 4070 or Radeon RX 7800 XT. If you want to play with a native resolution in Ultra HD, you need a very fast graphics card. Only from a Radeon RX 7900 XT or a GeForce RTX 4080 will 60 frames per second be reached.

(original article in german, ran through google translate)
certainly seems quite well-optimized, especially on AMD cards. For the 7900XT to beat a 4080 Super at 1440p is unexpected; also 6800XT/7800XT beating 3080 by a decent amount at 1440p

Updated 3/22

ARTICLE LINK

Digital Foundry's Alex Battaglia goes into a deep dive interview with multiple people involved in the Horizon: Forbidden West PC Port on both the Guerilla and Nixxes sides of things. It's pretty enlightening to understand how modern PC ports work, at least with bespoke engines such as Guerilla's and Insomniac's.

When did work start on Horizon Forbidden West for PC, and what was the working relationship like between Nixxes and Guerrilla?

Patrick Den Bekker - Nixxes
: We normally start a project a year before it is released, so that would be February or March last year.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition PC requirements revealed image

Jeroen Krebbers - Guerrilla: We at Guerrilla internally have a PC version, which is not the same as shipping a PC game... we use that for our internal tooling and also for verifying that our rendering backend and all of our subsystems work on PC, to make sure that can run tooling and bakes and things like that without requiring a PlayStation for everything. And that's usually the basis of starting a port, right? So there's a bunch of legwork that we do internally that is basically handed over to Nixxes, and they do the magic.

A big part of Nixxes ports is supporting ultrawide aspect ratios. What was like from an art perspective, changing scenes designed for 16:9 to support 21:9 and other aspect ratios?

PlayStation boss says first-party PC releases will be part of

Patrick Den Bekker - Nixxes: Obviously, on all projects we like to have an ultrawide option, and the game content isn't built for that. So we have animators and designers that go through all the cinematic content to make sure it's all clean on the sides - so you don't see popping, or characters not animating. That's usually the most time-intensive part. But it's always a really great addition to PC, so that's why we try to do it.

Julian Huijbregts - Nixxes: It's good to stress that this title has a very large amount of cutscenes. It was quite a big commitment! But we do support up to 32:9, even in cutscenes. By default, the black bars are turned on, which is partly a creative decision as the game is created for 16:9, but do feel free to turn black bars off and enjoy it on your 32:9 monitor, because I think it's quite enjoyable! And yeah, we did put a lot of work into that in terms of art and lighting.

Jeroen Krebbers - Guerrilla: We saw the game at 32:9 here at Guerrilla for the first time only two weeks ago, and it's amazing. Alex, if you haven't seen it yet, please find somewhere where you can see it.

The entire article is a really good read

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Others in the comments are saying the same, you can’t notice much unless it’s 8x zoom. But Alex still says a few times in the vid that the PC version is “far superior”.

It’s wild that Sony is encouraging these people to bash their product 🤣

IMG_9117.png
There is one where they zoom in to show the improvements and it looks weird with some added mesh fence like artifacts and I don't think he even mentions it despite how it clearly stands out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Imo the only game that looks better than this is ff16. I still can't believe how well it can look.
But horizon is more consistent

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Imo the only game that looks better than this is ff16. I still can't believe how well it can look.
But horizon is more consistent
Visually doesn't this game have a lot more going on to it though, like it's more dense?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Looks about the same.

Yeah Nixxes added less PC-only features/higher graphical fidelity options, unlike their Insomniac ports.
It's a great port by Nixxes minus a few issues but that's about it.

It's nice to have options for DLAA and better better AA for some ground textures but that's very minor in most cases where you're not directly looking at the ground in some road/village/city or at some sort of rock formation.

I think this title would've benefited immensely from some form of RT shadows implementation due to how open and sunny it is to give more definition/cohesion especially considering how dense the game is, but looks like it was outside of the scope of this project but also probably engine related.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Visually doesn't this game have a lot more going on to it though, like it's more dense?
yes for sure.
ff16 best moments look like cgi tho. I just like it's look... looks expensive.
but HFW is just a technical masterpiece. Boring technical masterpiece

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah Nixxes added less PC-only features/higher graphical fidelity options, unlike their Insomniac ports.

It's nice to have options for DLAA and better better AA for some ground textures but that's very minor in most cases where you're not directly looking at the ground in some road/village/city or at some sort of rock formation.

I think this title would've benefited immensely from some form of RT shadows implementation due to how open and sunny it is to give more definition/cohesion especially considering how dense the game is, but looks like it was outside of the scope of this project but also probably engine related.
I like it this way, they should't go out of their way to make the PC version much better.

Reactions: Puff

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024

It might just be the engine and the way things are designed in it. I noticed the same thing with Death Stranding, great port but options were rather limited for top end configuration.

It seems that likely they leave little fat on the bone with Decima engine games to tinker with.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Looks better, plays better, loads faster.

Love it.
Minus a few inexplicably downgraded textures and weird performance drops. I'll take it though.

Interesting to see that they decided against GPU decompression for all the reasons Alex points out, guess that feature needs a lot more time in the oven.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
Others in the comments are saying the same, you can’t notice much unless it’s 8x zoom. But Alex still says a few times in the vid that the PC version is “far superior”.

It’s wild that Sony is encouraging these people to bash their product
I'd call being able to run the performance mode level graphics in native 4K at 120 FPS "far superior", even considering the anomalies pointed out in this video. There's also the very well implemented ultrawide support that's been added here, for those who have a wider display.

I'm curious about this thing you said about Sony encouraging people to bash their product though. How is Sony doing that? Furthermore, who is bashing their product?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I'd call being able to run the performance mode level graphics in native 4K at 120 FPS "far superior", even considering the anomalies pointed out in this video. There's also the very well implemented ultrawide support that's been added here, for those who have a wider display.

I'm curious about this thing you said about Sony encouraging people to bash their product though. How is Sony doing that? Furthermore, who is bashing their product?
I thrashed you so badly in the other thread that you’re now searching out for me in different threads 😂😂😂

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
I thrashed you so badly in the other thread that you’re now searching out for me in different threads 😂😂😂
Sure you did.

I'm just responding to your post and asking a simple question.

It is too bad that your crowning achievement of intellectual posting dominance got wiped from history though.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: JAHGamer