[DF] Upscaling Face-Off: PS5 Pro PSSR vs PC DLSS/FSR 3.1 in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Enjoy:

Some screenshots I made:

image.png

image.png

image.png

4K screenshots from Digital Foundry's HEVC video file without Youtube's compression (thanks to @Killer8 on neogaf)

Ratchet-PSSR-vs-DLSS-vs-FSR-HEVC-mp4-snapshot-16-07-2024-10-19-19-59-26.png
Ratchet-PSSR-vs-DLSS-vs-FSR-HEVC-mp4-snapshot-09-32-2024-10-19-19-51-23.png

Ratchet-PSSR-vs-DLSS-vs-FSR-HEVC-mp4-snapshot-09-14-2024-10-19-19-51-06.png

Also by NX Gamer:

dAfb4Fv.jpeg

BWiYVAZ.jpeg

Graphics are superior on PS5 Pro not only the IQ or framerate.

~33% perf increase against RX6800+Zen3

XWfX3Ls.png
vr5UEQw.png

And ~15% against PS5 with perf mode
image.png

A follow-up:

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The tests only shows how FSR is bad something that everybody know but some defense guys here keep trying to push narratives.

Outside that DLSS continue being the best option while PSSR is vastly better than FSR 3.1.

Should be good to have a comparison with XeSS.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
the article is out and there are some quotes that summarizes everything…

This is my major complaint with FSR 3.1's quality - it fails to effectively anti-alias newly revealed detail, 'fizzling' in motion. Thankfully, like DLSS and XeSS, PSSR does not suffer from this issue - and it's as plain as day to see.
FSR also has problems with particles..
Hologrammatic signs also look better with PSSR. FSR 3.1 lacks anti-aliasing coverage here and while PSSR is not perfect, the presentation is less jagged on edges.
Finally, processing grass in the first stage is challenging for FSR, to the point where it can seemingly present flowing artefacts that look almost liquid-like.

I hate when devs uses FSR in PS5 games 🔥

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Well, hopefully FSR won't be on PS5 Pro games in the future.
Depends what path multi platform devs will choose.

FSR is an implementation that will work across all platforms while PSSR will only work on PS5 Pro.

That can makes some devs not bother to even try PSSR on Pro because it will be additional work.

Sadly.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Depends what path multi platform devs will choose.

FSR is an implementation that will work across all platforms while PSSR will only work on PS5 Pro.

That can makes some devs not bother to even try PSSR on Pro because it will be additional work.

Sadly.

Multiplatform developers implement XeSS already, PS5 Pro will sell more units than intel cards...

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Multiplatform developers implement XeSS already, PS5 Pro will sell more units than intel cards...
XeSS works across all GPUs.
I think it works on Series too.
And probably works on PS5/PS5 Pro but there is no claim or article about it.

Plus if you take Steam survey a lot of gamers uses Intel’s GPU… like 8% of all Steam users.

• Informative
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Would love to hear your personal thoughts on all this Bo.

I think if you need to get extremely zoomed in like 300-400% to even see a minor difference between both PSSR and DLSS, while even PSSR winning in some, it's a massive win for all PS5 Pro owners and the future of PS consoles. If the PS handheld rumor is true, this could become huge for that handheld to upscale from like 480p to 1080p-720p.

There is nothing negative about PSSR to be talked about, just like DLSS. It's taking what you already have and making it look better. Makes that 45% over current PS5/XSX performance look too small compared to the actual results you get with PSSR. The future is bright and this is only the very first implementation of PSSR which will 100% get better as time goes. Sony really did their homework hardware-wise, now it's time for some new actual current gen games, not remasters and remakes.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
XeSS works across all GPUs.
I think it works on Series too.
And probably works on PS5/PS5 Pro but there is no claim or article about it.

Plus if you take Steam survey a lot of gamers uses Intel’s GPU… like 8% of all Steam users.

And PS5 Pro should sell much more than 10% of PS5s lifetime.

They probably have telemetry data on what upscaling people are using and if they have nvidia cards they aren't using XeSS.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
Unpopular opinion, but they're all fucking dog shit.

I don't want magic and computerism fiddling with my image. Raw pixels or no pixels.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How unexciting the gaming industry has become. Upscaling and fake frames wars ffs...

Been playing some old games from the pre TAA era and the difference in sharpness is significant.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters