[DF] Upscaling Face-Off: PS5 Pro PSSR vs PC DLSS/FSR 3.1 in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
If you mean raw pixels with some really great AA (not these shit TAA… start with combination of MSAA + SSAA and you are good) then I agree with you.

The issue with raw pixels with these heavy AA is just that… hardware enough to run it.

But if you say to me raw pixels + TAA or TXAA then I prefer DLSS like solutions.
Raw pixels. If we need computer magic to achieve a resolution, then it ain't worth doing, unless that resolution is 16k or some other unreachable target my modern computers.

Giving me a GPU or console and saying it can do 4k is like selling me a 200mph car that only does 200mph when I take the roof off, seats out, gutted the interior and run it on NOX.

I've been against 4k gaming for a decade, it's a cheat and an insult to real technical wizards. The Order ran on a 1.4tf machine. That's wizardry that should be appreciated. Cyberpunk running Faux-K (faux been french of fake and pronounced FOH) on a £1000 GPU is an insult.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Raw pixels. If we need computer magic to achieve a resolution, then it ain't worth doing, unless that resolution is 16k or some other unreachable target my modern computers.

Giving me a GPU or console and saying it can do 4k is like selling me a 200mph car that only does 200mph when I take the roof off, seats out, gutted the interior and run it on NOX.

I've been against 4k gaming for a decade, it's a cheat and an insult to real technical wizards. The Order ran on a 1.4tf machine. That's wizardry that should be appreciated. Cyberpunk running Faux-K (faux been french of fake and pronounced FOH) on a £1000 GPU is an insult.
I agree with you.

But we should not have moved to 4k screens… if we have hold on 1080p screens then everything should be fine.

1080p render on 4k screen looks bad… It is not an ideal setup.

And I understand why we moved to 4k… the TV industry required something to sells new TV and 4k was one of the things they had to push… and for the industry it worked… 90% or more of the consumers wants to change their TVs to 4k one… nobody wants a 1080p TV (yeap my 70 years old father doesn’t want one… actually he doesn’t have any 1080p tv anymore for years).

So in the actual situation (it is easier to buy a 4k TV than 1080p nowdays) I really welcome AI upscaling.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Boswollox

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PSSRvs-DLSS-5.gif
PSSRvs-DLSS-A.gif

PSSRvs-DLSS-4.gif

image.gif

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I agree with you.

But we should not have moved to 4k screens… if we have hold on 1080p screens then everything should be fine.

1080p render on 4k screen looks bad… It is not an ideal setup.

And I understand why we moved to 4k… the TV industry required something to sells new TV and 4k was one of the things they had to push… and for the industry it worked… 90% or more of the consumers wants to change their TVs to 4k one… nobody wants a 1080p TV (yeap my 70 years old father doesn’t want one… actually he doesn’t have any 1080p tv anymore for years).

So in the actual situation (it is easier to buy a 4k TV than 1080p nowdays) I really welcome AI upscaling.
Yeah have to agree with this. Personally I regret moving to a 4k monitor, console games do not really take advantage of that resolution screen.

Actually when I first moved over to a 4k monitor the first game I played was jedi fallen order on perf mode, and I was like damn this looks worse then my 1080p screen. The upscaling on some monitors is pretty meh aswell so it doesn't help much

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

SuperPotato

Veteran
1 Mar 2024
Yeah have to agree with this. Personally I regret moving to a 4k monitor, console games do not really take advantage of that resolution screen.

Actually when I first moved over to a 4k monitor the first game I played was jedi fallen order on perf mode, and I was like damn this looks worse then my 1080p screen. The upscaling on some monitors is pretty meh aswell so it doesn't help much

I wouldn't recommend playing consoles on any monitor no matter the resolution. Console games tend to look worse compared to playing on a TV.

Monitors show a raw image without hiding any imperfections and you sit much closer to the screen.

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

It's mostly because of the monitor/TV. Go Sony or never, they have the best upscaling and processing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

All games in 1080p will look bad sitting close to screen… you basically see the pixels in that situation.

Being close to the screen is one of the situation that really needs 4k or higher resolutions.

OP
OP
Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
All games in 1080p will look bad sitting close to screen… you basically see the pixels in that situation.

Being close to the screen is one of the situation that really needs 4k or higher resolutions.

Also most monitors are garbage in upscaling. From many TV's, and according to all TV experts, Sony TV's have the best in class upscaling and processing, without even adding any artificial stuff that I turn them all off. 1080p videos on my 55" (film, real videos not games) look brilliant and very close to 4K from a full frame camera that is downsampling from 4K to 1080p. Not so much on other TV's. I think Samsung and LG's are also good.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Also most monitors are garbage in upscaling. From many TV's, and according to all TV experts, Sony TV's have the best in class upscaling and processing, without even adding any artificial stuff that I turn them all off. 1080p videos on my 55" (film, real videos not games) look brilliant and very close to 4K from a full frame camera that is downsampling from 4K to 1080p. Not so much on other TV's. I think Samsung and LG's are also good.
If you go back to even playing DVDs upscaled to 1080p on the PS3 it was miles ahead of what I could get from a normal BlueRay player at the time.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem