[Digital Foundry]Gran Turismo 7 vs Forza Motorsport - The Duel - Graphics Breakdown

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

00:00 - Introduction
02:47 - What You Can Expect From This Comparison
04:38 - Circuit de Spa - First Drive
08:11 - Interior Comparison While Driving
10:21 - Toyota GR Supra Comparison
13:24 - Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Comparison
15:21 - Circuit de Spa Side by Side
20:16 - Google Earth vs Forza vs GT7 on Spa
24:21 - Spa at Night
27:49 - In-Game Timelapse on Spa
29:24 - Watkins Glen - First Drive
32:00 - Mazda MX-5 Interior Comparison: The Revenge
33:09 - BMW E46 M3 Gameplay Comparison
35:24 - BMW M3 Close-ups
37:29 - Real Hot Lap Around The Glen vs Forza + GT7
40:10 - Car Damage Model Comparison
41:57 - Why Does the AI Always Crash Into You?!
42:50 - Driving in the Dirt - Particle Comparison
44:01 - Materials Testing - Chrome Cars
46:21 - Materials Testing - Matte Cars
47:05 - Laguna Seca - First Drive
48:25 - Google Earth vs Forza vs GT7 on Laguna Seca
52:04 - Rain Comparison on Nürburgring GP Track
56:31 - Frame-rate Options
58:44 - NAME THAT GAME
1:00:34 - User Interface and Campaign Discussion
1:05:27 - The Wrap-up

What happens when two of the most talented development studios in the world tackle the same subject matter - albeit with very different priorities? Polyphony Digital and Turn 10 routinely deliver some of the technologically impressive racing games on consoles - and with the release of the PC/Xbox Series Forza Motorsport, we can finally deliver our long awaited sequel to our GT Sport/FM7 head-to-head. This is Gran Turismo 7 vs Forza Motorsport - our most ambitious comparison video yet.

Last edited:

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
One note: This really shows the difference between trying to realistically simulate the world vs making it so that it looks visually impacting. Rain in GT7 reacts to light, does not pool massively on the track, and there's no splatter on the camera (as there shouldn't be unless fps view).

In Forza, the road is constantly flooded, particles don't react to light, and the camera has droplets because it looks cool.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
32:00: Did this asshole just say the geometry on the MX5 is the same in both games? Like 😂 my man was smoking a fat blunt.

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
Definitely think GT7 looks better. I just love it's materials and the lighting interaction on the paint. I like how it does proper motion blur on the wheels too instead of using texture.

• Shake
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Can someone give a brief summary of what they said? I don't have time to watch.

image.png

Reactions: Aceman and Luffy123

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Please somebody tell me DF is anti-Playstation again.
They might not be explicitly anti PS. But they’re definitely pro Xbox, they treat Xbox with kiddy gloves and are constantly damage controlling. John linneman called Starfields broken HDR an “artistic choice”, and then he said the exact same thing for Forza Motorsports buggy gama before learning it was a bug. Not to mention, the only reason why people think Starfield is 30fps is only because of Digital Foundry, who rushed to Xbox’s defense. John said 30fps on the worlds most powerful console made sense because of sandwiches and everyone ate it up, no pun intended.

So yes, they constantly go out of their way to defend and damage control for Xbox and don’t give PlayStation anywhere close to that kind of treatment.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well they are...
The difference are way bigger than the excuses they try to make.

But they can't be too off of reality... so they unsurprising choose GT7 as the better looking one.

This will kill Turist in GAF.
man John said that Forza had better interiors than GT7, WTF?!? How ???

F8MEpKlX0AAoVVv
F8MEpB6WAAAyT6c

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
  • haha
Reactions: voke

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
this guy is talking about PC while the game is broken on PC 😂
He will always reply saying Forza looks better no matter what.
He will use PC bull shot saying it is Xbox shots too.

At time I had an account he was one of the best laugh in the Graphic comparison thread.

• haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
"Built from the ground up" lol. Forza was such a colossal disappointment. GT Spec II actually brought me back, don't think I spent more than 10 hours on Forza
I think there was a time, maybe in the 360 era when Forza nudged out ahead of GT at least on modelling/rendering. But in this comparison, I'm actually surprised how much better GT7 looks. The night shots especially are almost a generational difference. The dynamic range between the dark sky and the bright headlights just looks amazing. they should put it on PC!