Digital Foundry: PSSR upscaling in PS5 Pro is a big step in the right direction

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Fs, I don't understand any of this shit.

I just want pretty pictures to look at.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
GT7 seems to be another interesting case.

PS5: Native 4k without RT @ 60fps
PS5 Pro: 1080p PSSR upscalled to 4k with RT @ 60fps

RT or resolution? :unsure:

PS. Replay mode on PS5 is Native 4k with RT @ 30fps.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Fs, I don't understand any of this shit.

I just want pretty pictures to look at.
Then visit my onlyfans for juicy feet pics
Feet GIF by E!

• haha
Reactions: Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PSSR doesn't require motion vectors?
We have no idea about how internally works. We only knows it does some super sampling using "AI" (deep learning) using a dedicated hardware that the AMD current GPUs still don't have.

So we can assume it's Sony's take on DLSS and would work similarly. But who knows, Cerny often surprises with his own stuff, so maybe aren't required.

I assume that this first iteration of PSSR won't include frame generation, and motion vectors are useful for that, but not so much to simply upscale an image. So maybe don't use them.

Knowing Cerny he'll try to make his own DLSS version removing any overhead/stuff they don't need to optimize it as much as possible and reduce its footprint/time required in each frame to make the upscale, in order to leave more room for devs to get higher fps, or resolution, or better visual. With the idea of getting the best quality and fps with the lowest possible hardware to also make the hardware as cost effective as possible. At the same time, he'll try to require the most simple implementation possible for the devs. So if he can get rid of them, he will.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
GT7 seems to be another interesting case.

PS5: Native 4k without RT @ 60fps
PS5 Pro: 1080p PSSR upscalled to 4k with RT @ 60fps

RT or resolution? :unsure:

PS. Replay mode on PS5 is Native 4k with RT @ 30fps.

Internal resolution does not matter, only end result. Having spent some time playing on a 4070, you can do 4K performance (1080p internal) and it looks great on a TV, pretty much can’t tell the difference at normal distance.

Like John said, HW AI upscaling will work even better on consoles because of the sitting distance to the screen. You can do all the upclose analysis you want, doesn’t master.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Internal resolution does not matter, only end result. Having spent some time playing on a 4070, you can do 4K performance (1080p internal) and it looks great on a TV, pretty much can’t tell the difference at normal distance.

Like John said, HW AI upscaling will work even better on consoles because of the sitting distance to the screen. You can do all the upclose analysis you want, doesn’t master.
Anything better than FSR. That shit is a downscale not upscale. Even old PS4 pro checkerboard is way better.

Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
PS5 pro being somewhere between DLSS performance and balanced is an EXCELLENT result for a console.