Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
indiana-jones-game-1440x810.jpg

While the untitled game was originally set to come to PlayStation too, it was recently confirmed that it will be an Xbox and PC exclusive, and a day-one release on Game Pass.

The terms of Disney’s agreement with Bethesda were renegotiated after Microsoft acquired the studio’s parent company, ZeniMax Media, for $7.5 billion in 2021.

Disney’s head of gaming, Sean Shoptaw, told Axios: With “Xbox still being one of the bigger marketplaces for games, we didn’t feel like we were going to be overly exclusionary. We felt like it’s still going to reach a broad set of folks, and we felt, financially and strategically for the game, that made sense at the time.”

Announced in January 2021, Indiana Jones is in development at MachineGames, the Swedish studio behind the modern Wolfenstein games.

Bethesda game director Todd Howard, who is serving as executive producer on the game, and whose favourite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark, said of its genre last year: “I would just say it’s a mash-up. It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”.

The head of Disney-owned Marvel Games has previously claimed that Xbox turned down an opportunity to make licensed games, shortly before Sony struck a deal to make Spider-Man for PS4.

D

Deleted member 223

Folks don't understand the power of money and the drive these companies have to compete against each other for every customer there possibly is. It's not and will never be a world of "when we all play we all win". If you believe in any of those marketing double-speak slogans from snake oil salesman; it's not the snake-oil salesman whose at fault for trying to deceive, but you for being an idiot not understanding the business properly so you fail to see through the B.S. The drama surrounding Blade is but one example.

Platforms compete in a zero sum equation - no other alternative. You gain, they lose. They gain, you lose. The market is finite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I know MS cut them a big check. But if they think the audience will be big because of PC they will be massively mistaken. The PC base doesn’t give a shit about linear games like Indiana Jones will be. Just take a look at the sales of Uncharted on PC, they didn’t care. The Xbox fanbase won’t care either. Also we just got our answer whether Blade will be exclusive.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This deal was probably originally signed before the xsx and ps5 were released; then ms probably blew a bunch of smoke up disney's ass about how competitive they were based on their hardware strategy and specs and in 2021 they were still doing ok saleswise. Now disney is looking like a chump. Philly boy's the best used car salesman in town.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
This deal was probably signed before the xsx and ps5 were released; ms probably blew a bunch of smoke up disney's ass about how competitive they were going to be based on their hardware strategy and specs. Now disney is looking like a chump. Philly boy's the best used car salesman in town.
MS acquired Bethesda after the PS5 and Series X released. They signed the deal after.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m interpreting this as them not expecting much sales potential from the game to begin with and having Microsoft pay for all copies of the game sold is good enough. Considering how the last movie megaflopped…

Reactions: Diah

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Somebody should ask him that question again after Indiana Jones also bombs like Starfield.
Starfield didnt bomb. underperformed sure. Reviews were average. If it was good or great like their usual single player titles it would of been a success in both metrics. Xbox and pc is more then enough to sell the game. The game just needs to have mass appeal and be good.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Indiana Jones should of ended in the 80’s. It‘s the Halo of Hollywood.

Sure. And having LucasArts carry it forward during the time between was actually fine. I hold Fate of Atlantis as dear as the trilogy of original Indy films to some extent. They fully tanked and buried the IP now tho.

So even if the game is great. If it’s better than anything Indy since Last Crusade including deep fake AI Sean connnery. I def see Disney being more okay with the exclusive deal after they themselves devalued the franchise. Disney sucks… like they know wtf they’re doing either 🤣

I’m surprised that it’s such a big deal tho. Any of these games being multi platform or not…

Reactions: Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Uncharted is the best adventure series anyway, craps on modern Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones wont do shit...

Microsoft have been chasing that ghost for over a decade now.

Reactions: VillaiN and Diah

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I meant the original deal with bethesda, when the ps version was still being made
These deals always involve some kind of calculated sales expectations if they release on a given platform and a lump sum payment.

So there are two actual scenarios:
1 - They were not expecting that many sales because the movie flopped... so it did not cost MS that much and Disney cut their losses
2 - MS was so hyped about the game that they gave Disney A LOT of $$$$ to compensate for the loss of income

Or another option that I did not think of is that both CEOs sleep together.