Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
That’s your opinion. What I stated is a fact literally written by him.

Him leaving is a big deal seeing how he’s been there so long and it was right after Starfield released. Putting a lot of truth it was because of Bethesda and MS making dumb decisions.
Him leaving is not a big deal. That's your opinion. Again, he's not actual talent. He's a drunk pr bastard.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I can’t wait to hear what he says after finding out Xbox owners don’t buy games.

Reactions: Diah

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
LOL

You’re SOOOOOOOO right! Indiana Jones is a MUCH fresher concept after 41 years and 5 movies, the last two of which were godawful and what the bed at the box office!

I had suspicions you were a shill, but that nails it down!
I'm talking about the videogame space. Not the movie space. They definitely wore that shit out!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Movies never include their respective marketing budgets, as well as other hidden costs. Even if that list includes some marketing costs, others are missing.

Rule of thumb is that a movies true budget is around 2 times the listed budget, and then they need around 2.5 times of the listed budget to turn a profit. These are rough guidelines of course.

Some more info:

I am well aware of that old canard, but you can say the same for big game releases.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Starfield didnt bomb. underperformed sure. Reviews were average. If it was good or great like their usual single player titles it would of been a success in both metrics. Xbox and pc is more then enough to sell the game. The game just needs to have mass appeal and be good.
No.10 in terms of sales in the US, it currently has 11,000 players on Steam, and no serious outlets have it as their game of the year.

It has massively underperformed, especially when you consider the likely development costs, and the amount of hype it had.

Reactions: Diah

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Starfield didnt bomb. underperformed sure. Reviews were average. If it was good or great like their usual single player titles it would of been a success in both metrics. Xbox and pc is more then enough to sell the game. The game just needs to have mass appeal and be good.
We really can't say without knowing the budget. If the game cost $300M to make with a comparable marketing budget, it very possibly bombed.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Starfield bombed and don't let the NPD ranking skew reality it is based on dollar value and many people bought the early access.

2 months after release it's off the charts in its biggest market..

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
A lot of shit Disney has done over the last five years probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
By the time this game gets release Xbox won't even exist. :ROFLMAO:

If it is still hanging around congratulations from letting go of what will likely be a 100m+ install base of people that actually buy games.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Are you denying that every year's biggest games don't have huge marketing budgets? I see at least one (Ubisoft) Avatar ad a day and have been for weeks now.
Why is it that your only arguments are fallacys? I did not say that the biggest games don't have huge marketing budgets. I did say that they are not nearly as big as the biggest movies. Stop moving the goalpost once proven wrong.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Why is it that your only arguments are fallacys? I did not say that the biggest games don't have huge marketing budgets. I did say that they are not nearly as big as the biggest movies. Stop moving the goalpost once proven wrong.
Thats better than your argument which was just a fucking lie, with you say the biggest movies cost nearly 300 million dollars more than what it actually cost for the single most expensive film of all time. If anything I am being nice to you and not counting Star Citizen (which is as much a cult and/or scam as it is an in development game) as the actual most expensive game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ehhhhhhhh I don't see any quantitative analysis showing that assertion to be true though?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Thats better than your argument which was just a fucking lie, with you say the biggest movies cost nearly 300 million dollars more than what it actually cost for the single most expensive film of all time.

Incorrect. The budgets listed for movies in Wikipedia are mostly production budgets, which do not include Marketing. Marketing usually adds anything between 0.5x to 1.5x the production budget for a movie. This is well known in the industry, there's no debate.
When you look at the top 10 highest grossing movies of 2023, you get the following:

Production BudgetMarketing 0.5xTotalMarketing 1xTotal
Barbie14572,5217,5145290
The Super Mario Bros. Movie10050150100200
Oppenheimer †10050150100200
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3250125375250500
Fast X340170510340680
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse10050150100200
The Little Mermaid297148,5445,5297594
Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One291145,5436,5291582
Average304,3125405,75

Note that I have removed Full River Red and The Wandering Earth 2 due to them not being "Hollywood" productions, and thus their math being likely different. Additionally, I couldn't quickly find TWE2 budget information.

I'm not even accounting for marketing potentially reaching 1.5X, so best case you have an average budget of 304M, and a "more realistic" 405M.

Another hidden cost of Hollywood movies is the percentage of revenue (gross or net) that many actors get, which adds up to the cost, hence the full average of around 2.5X the production budget for the whole movie (on average). With all of that said and accounting for an average of 2.5X, the cost rises to 507M on average.

If anything I am being nice to you and not counting Star Citizen (which is as much a cult and/or scam as it is an in development game) as the actual most expensive game.

See, this is the problem with your whole charade. You keep moving the goalpost, and now suddenly decide that an exception is somehow the rule. You can't also compare live service games with regular AAA games (due to the constant needs for updates and new content) since movies are not live service offerings. But we have some data from the CMA.

A publisher [REDACTED] mentioned that the overall figures for development and marketing costs for major brands and their recent instalments are approximately Euro 150 million for pre-launch development costs and approximately Euro 50 million for launch marketing campaign costs.
So that's 200M done and dusted, about half my numbers above (1x)

Another publisher [REDACTED] reported development costs for its major AAA franchises ranging between more than $80 million to almost $350 million per title, and marketing costs reaching up to $310 million depending on the franchise.
This one could be as much as 660M, or about 1.65x of my numbers above (1x)

We received similar ranges from an additional publisher [REDACTED]. Specifically, it reported a total of development and marketing costs between about $110 million and almost $380 million for some of its latest major releases.
No need to math this one since in both figures it's lower than the movie averages.

A fourth publisher [REDACTED] submitted that the costs related to developing and regularly releasing new titles can vary significantly depending on the game type or business model of a particular studio. It provided an example that for one AAA game the development budget value could range between $90 million and $180 million, whereas the marketing budget could range between $50 million and $150 million. This publisher also submitted that for one of its major franchise's development costs reached $660 million and marketing costs peaked at almost $550 million.
Same for this one with one exception that surpassed 1.2B (and that's more than likely a live service game).

Finally, another publisher [REDACTED] estimated that its development costs for seasonal updates for one of its first party titles range from approximately $50 million to $65 million

We know how much HFW and TLOU2 cost:

And we can extrapolate based on some of the numbers above that marketing costs don't usually surpass 1x, meaning they would be around the 400M worst case, but more likely close to 300M.

TLDR:
  • Big Hollywood movies are generally more expensive than AAA SP games, with quite a few of them being way more expensive than games (TFA 500M+ budget was production only, for example)
  • Live Service AAA games are generally equally or more expensive than Hollywood movies (I did not account for this, so take the W)
  • Marketing budgets are generally lower in games