Disney says Indiana Jones Xbox exclusivity deal ‘made financial and strategic sense' and leaving out PlayStation didn’t feel “overly exclusionary”

Aceman

Banned
11 Dec 2023
Uncharted is the best adventure series anyway, craps on modern Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones wont do shit...

Microsoft have been chasing that ghost for over a decade now.
That may be true but I'm still interested in this game. It would be a good refresher from the tried and true. There are only so many Uncharted games you can make before it all just seems the same old.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Folks don't understand the power of money and the drive these companies have to compete against each other for every customer there possibly is. It's not and will never be a world of "when we all play we all win". If you believe in any of those marketing double-speak slogans from snake oil salesman; it's not the snake-oil salesman whose at fault for trying to deceive, but you for being an idiot not understanding the business properly so you fail to see through the B.S. The drama surrounding Blade is but one example.

Platforms compete in a zero sum equation - no other alternative. You gain, they lose. They gain, you lose. The market is finite.
I'm pretty sure people understand the power of money.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Bethesda game director Todd Howard, who is serving as executive producer on the game, and whose favourite film is Raiders of the Lost Ark, said of its genre last year: “I would just say it’s a mash-up. It is a unique, it isn’t one thing intentionally, so it does a lot of different things”.

These two things do not inspire confidence in the final product.

Also, Disney did not "feel" that "this would be overly exclusionary" while excluding the two biggest console audiences. I wonder if the cheque was big enough to counterbalance the subsequent declining Xbox hardware sales and mindshare (their first-pary isn't exactly known for quality, as well, which ties into that mindshare aspect).

24 Jun 2022
MS acquired Bethesda after the PS5 and Series X released. They signed the deal after.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure neither they nor Disney could have foreseen Xbox systems dropping in sales the way they have. Or the new Indiana Jones movie crashing & burning at the box office the way it did, either.

Starfield didnt bomb. underperformed sure. Reviews were average. If it was good or great like their usual single player titles it would of been a success in both metrics. Xbox and pc is more then enough to sell the game. The game just needs to have mass appeal and be good.

To sell what game? Starfield? Well that is questionable; the game hasn't just "underperformed", it's significantly underperformed. Both commercially and critically, considering the hype of it "reinventing" RPGs and being the "game of the generation".

With the way Xbox sales have been declining so soon in the generation, it's also questionable if it and PC will be enough for not just that game but future releases like Indiana Jones (which is already a troubled IP in the film space). Steam sales are usually exaggerated by PC fanboys because most copies sold for the vast majority of games tend to come when they are heavily discounted, so the ARPU PC-side is generally much lower than console-wise on platforms like PlayStation.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
These non-gaming companies are just going to have to eat humble pie going forward. Games are bigger than films and a AAA game costs twice as much and takes three to four times as long to make. If the IP holder wants to play hardball then their only suitors should be Microids and Gamemill.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The deal was altered before the chip shortage was resolved, and PS sales started to pick up. They were neck and neck at that stage with it being a close race at that stage.
Which just goes to show how little Disney knows what it's doing in the gaming space

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
These non-gaming companies are just going to have to eat humble pie going forward. Games are bigger than films and a AAA game costs twice as much and takes three to four times as long to make. If the IP holder wants to play hardball then their only suitors should be Microids and Gamemill.
Since when does a AAA game costs twice as much as comparably sized movie? You have movies reaching 700M budgets when accounting for marketing.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Wikipedia says that Star Wars: TFA has that record with films at 450 million, so you're way off there. The biggest games listed are at about half of that but lots of big games aren't shown at all. (Example: SWTOR is second most expensive game after No Man's Sky but Anthem, which surely cost more, isn't on the list at all because S-E never listed a public budget for it.)

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Made sense at the time, but then again Indiana Jones has already sunk rock bottom. Perfect for a franchise that nobody care about anymore to be paired up with a console that people also don't care about. Meanwhile, Disney walks away with a fat check that most likely Microsoft overpaid to Disney. Also, shout out to South Park for predicting the fall of Indy.

Reactions: DocRay

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Yeah but I'm pretty sure neither they nor Disney could have foreseen Xbox systems dropping in sales the way they have. Or the new Indiana Jones movie crashing & burning at the box office the way it did, either.

To sell what game? Starfield? Well that is questionable; the game hasn't just "underperformed", it's significantly underperformed. Both commercially and critically, considering the hype of it "reinventing" RPGs and being the "game of the generation".

With the way Xbox sales have been declining so soon in the generation, it's also questionable if it and PC will be enough for not just that game but future releases like Indiana Jones (which is already a troubled IP in the film space). Steam sales are usually exaggerated by PC fanboys because most copies sold for the vast majority of games tend to come when they are heavily discounted, so the ARPU PC-side is generally much lower than console-wise on platforms like PlayStation.

Pete Hines left Bethesda for a reason.

That email of him frustrated about why Call of Duty is still allowed on PlayStation but not Bethesda’s games is very telling. Sad almost.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
That may be true but I'm still interested in this game. It would be a good refresher from the tried and true. There are only so many Uncharted games you can make before it all just seems the same old.
LOL

You’re SOOOOOOOO right! Indiana Jones is a MUCH fresher concept after 41 years and 5 movies, the last two of which were godawful and shat the bed at the box office!

I had suspicions you were a shill, but that nails it down!

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Pete Hines left Bethesda for a reason.

That email of him frustrated about why Call of Duty is still allowed on PlayStation but not Bethesda’s games is very telling. Sad almost.
Pete hines was a asshole plus a drunkard. Him leaving is no big deal because hes just the pr guy. Not actual talent.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Pete hines was an asshole plus a drunkard. Him leaving is no big deal because hes just the pr guy. Not actual talent.
Hines and Todd Howard were quite the pair for Bethesda. Hines was there to over promise and Howard never failed to under-deliver!

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Pete hines was a asshole plus a drunkard. Him leaving is no big deal because hes just the pr guy. Not actual talent.

That’s your opinion. What I stated is a fact literally written by him.

Him leaving is a big deal seeing how he’s been there so long and it was right after Starfield released. Putting a lot of truth it was because of Bethesda and MS making dumb decisions.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wikipedia says that Star Wars: TFA has that record with films at 450 million, so you're way off there. The biggest games listed are at about half of that but lots of big games aren't shown at all. (Example: SWTOR is second most expensive game after No Man's Sky but Anthem, which surely cost more, isn't on the list at all because S-E never listed a public budget for it.)
Movies never include their respective marketing budgets, as well as other hidden costs. Even if that list includes some marketing costs, others are missing.

Rule of thumb is that a movies true budget is around 2 times the listed budget, and then they need around 2.5 times of the listed budget to turn a profit. These are rough guidelines of course.

Some more info:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I bet the overall interest in an Indiana Jones videogame was much higher before the new movie came out.

Just like Star Wars, (Hasbro apparently fired a ton of people partly because the Star Wars toys ceased to sell) Disney has been in the business of decreasing franchises' value when compared to the decades they were dormant in the live action movie scene.
I mean that's quite the feat in and on itself.

What I meant to say is, they probably assumed the Indiana Jones franchise would be strong enough to guarantee many sales on the Xbox and PC alone by now, because Dial of Destiny would have pumped more mindshare into the public.

It didn't and in fact it had the opposite effect, so now they needed Playstation more than ever. Which they won't have because it's a Bethesda game.
I believe MachineGames can still make a good game, but there's a really big chance this simply won't sell and GamePass revenue isn't enough.