Do you still collect physical PSX games?

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
I have a real hard on for OG Playstation rn

Already have about 50 or so games in my collection currently, mostly killer no filler, but am scooping up some basics I was missing for whatever reason like Crash trilogy, Spyro trilogy, and first two Tomb Raiders.

Gah, what a console. This is gonna be a money pit. Ive gotta stop

Please discuss

PS1 or PSX? What do you say? I legit think Sony's first two PS consoles were their best but that's nostalgia talking, likely

Supposedly PSX is like a top tier Compact Disc player also if youre into that sorta thing

Remember the little graphic thatd pop up listening to CDs on PSX?

Omg 🍆

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
CD disc is the invention from god

Also the PS1 Annk sucks. I think Sony should release the original one board for the limited, not the emulated board bullshit with a bunch of games.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
teezzy

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
I collect anything I can get my hands on. Not gonna pay several hundred for a PS1 game but I will buy one if I can find a decent price.

I treat myself to a rare game once a month or so when i get a monthly bonus. The rest goes towards bills and savings

Used to have a HUGE retro collection but now i keep it humble. It almost feels like collecting fine art or something to me. Which likely sounds silly, oh well

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
CD disc is the invention from god

Also the PS1 Annk sucks. I think Sony should release the original one board for the limited, not the emulated board bullshit with a bunch of games.

Came here to post something similar...

Sony should be producing PS1, PS2 and PS3 that just play the games and show as part of PSN users... they would sell millions and millions, people want them.

Then you should appear to others on PSN with a symbol showing which classic console you're using.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Came here to post something similar...

Sony should be producing PS1, PS2 and PS3 that just play the games and show as part of PSN users... they would sell millions and millions, people want them.

Then you should appear to others on PSN with a symbol showing which classic console you're using.
Eh not so sure.

Sony old games are not desirable as Nintendo.

Most of them from Namco, SE, bla bla.

Not worth paying Royalty over.

Reactions: Snes nes

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think Nintendo should the one doing something like that though, not Sony.

OP
OP
teezzy

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
People who want the old stuff are likely enthusiast enough to seek out a Steam Deck or RetroPi or something to emulate these old games unless they wanna snag the real deal and hoard em like i am despite disc rot concerns etc

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
People who want the old stuff are likely enthusiast enough to seek out a Steam Deck or RetroPi or something to emulate these old games unless they wanna snag the real deal and hoard em like i am despite disc rot concerns etc
Do catridges rot tough. I think NAND are more suspectible to non-static degradation than disks

I am hoarding about 600 different catridges from Nintendo, N64, Gameboy Color, Advance, DS,, 3DS, not counting Switch.

Would be a shame of some don't work.

• Surprised
Reactions: Snes nes and teezzy
OP
OP
teezzy

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
No idea @historia

Ive not heard of it

I only have PS1/2 and OG Xbox/360 for retro collections

Everything else is emulated via various devices if need be

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
It’s got a lot of cool games on it but these days it might be better to use an emulator to speed up the loading screens in some of these games and other things that might be unsatisfactory.

• brain
Reactions: teezzy

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yes, I do. My most recent purchase was me being fucked over by DK oldies on a lot of "scratched" JRPGs. Wild Arms, best game in the lot, was literally cracked, which is a huge difference.

• sad

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Another thing I did Notice when looking at eBay listing was that a lot of the games like tekken 3 were higher priced. I was just wondering if there was some disc rot going on.

OP
OP
teezzy

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
Another thing I did Notice when looking at eBay listing was that a lot of the games like tekken 3 were higher priced. I was just wondering if there was some disc rot going on.

There was a brief window during 7th gen PS3 era when PS1 games and retro gaming had not yet completely exploded

I miss it. Seems like most of that good good is gonna run at least $100 a copy these days. For me, its a better use of money than going out drinking for the weekend, so whatevs

Just glad to still have what i do

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I like the black Jewel ps1 discs, it makes them so unique.

I only collect games i care about though like the Squaresoft games and things like Crash Bandicoot

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
There was a brief window during 7th gen PS3 era when PS1 games and retro gaming had not yet completely exploded

I miss it. Seems like most of that good good is gonna run at least $100 a copy these days. For me, its a better use of money than going out drinking for the weekend, so whatevs

I think I remember seeing old gameboy games at a Store for like 2 dollars or something like that. Wonder what the prices are now given the current market for this stuff.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I think I remember seeing old gameboy games at a Store for like 2 dollars or something like that. Wonder what the prices are now given the current market for this stuff.
Back in I visiting my relatives in Saitama City, I trackes down a shop selling choked full of electronics junks, and voila, a shit ton of Nintendo catridges and PS disks, also other CDs.

Some scracths here and there but I bought a bunch of 10 kg for pretty cheap.

Goes home. Tested, most of them work great. I decide to travel on boat seperated from my family because no ways in hell they would let me board with these junks but god damn it worths

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

The prices dropped once a lot of games were released as PS Classics during rhe ps3 days. FF7 used to be $150 used before it was on the PSN store than it got a massive price drop in the retro market.

I remember they also reprinted it but the reprints dont have the black jewel discs. It just looks like a cheap normal cd now.

• brain
Reactions: teezzy and Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Back in I visiting my relatives in Saitama City, I trackes down a shop selling choked full of electronics junks, and voila, a shit ton of Nintendo catridges and PS disks, also other CDs.

Some scracths here and there but I bought a bunch of 10 kg for pretty cheap.

Goes home. Tested, most of them work great. I decide to travel on boat seperated from my family because no ways in hell they would let me board with these junks but god damn it worths

so converting that to American means you bought like 22 pounds of video games?!

gigachad.jpg

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
so converting that to American means you bought like 22 pounds of video games?!

gigachad.jpg
Yea I think.

I wonder how much I would get if I put it on sale on overseas selling sites.

A lot of damage here and there so probably less than ideal but oh well.