Dragon Age: The Veilguard Early Previews Thread + Gameplay Reveal

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I liked what I saw. It's a bit more stylized than Inqusition, but I think it may have been what they were aiming for anyway if you look at some of the concept art and whatnot from that game.
One visual nitpick is that somehow Varric's skin was smeary unlike the rest of the cast, dunno why it was like this.
Felt like his cheeks were painted in vaseline, lmao.

I do think that them not showing the combat at a later part than level 1(unless they have influencers about to drop some recorded footage) was probably a mistake.
It was very boring to watch use the base mechanics and people might say that it looks boring.

When the group was through the portal, they even noted that with the wheel, you can tell your companions to cast and do shit but it was locked cause its the beginning of the game. I get not wanting to spoil the story because that's what most long time people are there for, but come on. Show me some sauce.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Yeah liking the shift to action RPG than what Inquisition was. Inquisition combat felt like a MMORPG.

Yeah, while I like the idea of what they were going for it became extremely tedious and boring imo. Veilguard kinda reminds me of FF7. Fast paced action but can stop time to micro-manage. I like it!

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
Looks great. Very happy that the combat is real time with a pausing system for spells and whatnot. Perfect for me. But still no release date. Come on!!

At least we have a window for fall 2024 though with no solid date announced yet I am kinda worried it’s gonna get pushed back

Reactions: peter42O

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
looked nothing special. the same moves over and over again, got tired even to watch. can't see anything good here.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Yeah liking the shift to action RPG than what Inquisition was. Inquisition combat felt like a MMORPG.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is that they're severely restricting the amount of abilities you can have at any given time.
Having only 3 active abilities at a time is dumb, I'm not a fan. It was the same in FF XVI.

Having such low pool of active skills just mean that people will usually just pick the 3 strongest thing and keep using them the whole game. Now maybe data shows that people already did that in previous games anyway(it wouldn't surprise me) but it feels pretty bad for those who like to be a bit more creative in their RPGs.

As a RPG fan, it sucks to see so many RPG franchises become less and less RPG and more of any number of other things.

What is wrong with the face animations? These games are all screwed after BG3.

People don't play RPGs for facial animations.
There's a trillion other things that might put off potential customers before that.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Important news, BioWare in the IGN article about the game stated that our Inquisition save file will not be transferred over to Veilguard. They stated it’s due to technical reason. Instead once the game start you recreate your Inquisitor and will be presented with key choices from Inquisition that you can select.

GachaMadeMeBroke

26 Nov 2023
The only thing I'm not a fan of is that they're severely restricting the amount of abilities you can have at any given time.
Having only 3 active abilities at a time is dumb, I'm not a fan. It was the same in FF XVI.

Having such low pool of active skills just mean that people will usually just pick the 3 strongest thing and keep using them the whole game. Now maybe data shows that people already did that in previous games anyway(it wouldn't surprise me) but it feels pretty bad for those who like to be a bit more creative in their RPGs.

As a RPG fan, it sucks to see so many RPG franchises become less and less RPG and more of any number of other things.

People don't play RPGs for facial animations.
There's a trillion other things that might put off potential customers before that.

It looks like he has 9 ability slots though? I think the three slots on screen are probs my just hotkeys you can set, but the pause menu during combat showed 9 maybe even 11 slots (not sure what the circles are).

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
It looks like he has 9 ability slots though? I think the three slots on screen are probs my just hotkeys you can set, but the pause menu during combat showed 9 maybe even 11 slots (not sure what the circles are).

That's the 6 abilities for your two companions. Which is also down from 3 from the previous games.