Embracer open to divesting studios, confirms more closures on the horizon

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Be good to make sure that Microsoft can never get their grubby hands on it though
I don't think there'd be anything wrong with Sony owning them. The games were literally always multiplat but general audiences associate the series with Playstation and that is where the gamee sell best. However, due to Sony making Uncharted, they aren't likely to be interested. Microsoft is a worse, but far more likely, choice. And unfortunately Amazon might be the most likely of all to gain complete control of a franchise they are already betting big on. Andcthen when the tv show inevitably flops they'll close the studio and lock Lara in a vault for twenty years.
If push comes to shove, yeah, I'd much rather Sony own it than Microsoft, literally anyone but Microsoft please. But best case scenario it goes to a competent 3rd party.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't think Tomb Raider should be owned by Sony/Nintendo/MS, it's just too big of an IP.
TR began to try and be like Uncharted. Sony does not need another Uncharted Clone so I don't mind it going elsewhere.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
TR began to try and be like Uncharted. Sony does not need another Uncharted Clone so I don't mind it going elsewhere.
Yeah it would be kinda redundant for Sony so that wouldn't make sense, I really don't want Microsoft to own it, and Tomb Raider is just too good to be stuck on Nintendo's weak hardware.
Tomb raider isn't an uncharted clone what are you smoking
I think he means when they did the reboot trilogy, they took a lot of inspiration from Uncharted. Of course Tomb Raider is the OG though

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I don't think there'd be anything wrong with Sony owning them. The games were literally always multiplat but general audiences associate the series with Playstation and that is where the gamee sell best. However, due to Sony making Uncharted, they aren't likely to be interested. Microsoft is a worse, but far more likely, choice. And unfortunately Amazon might be the most likely of all to gain complete control of a franchise they are already betting big on. Andcthen when the tv show inevitably flops they'll close the studio and lock Lara in a vault for twenty years.
Uncharted as far as I'm aware is done so it doesn't matter if Sony owns it or not Neil druckmann won't do another since he didn't 'create' it & he has a huge ego & probably hates that the woman he forced out created it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Uncharted as far as I'm aware is done so it doesn't matter if Sony owns it or not Neil druckmann won't do another since he didn't 'create' it & he has a huge ego & probably hates that the woman he forced out created it
That's fine, Uncharted is done but it's world isn't. Which is what needs to happen. Lost legacy was paced and was better than Uncharted imo and thts the route they are going.

24 Jun 2022

You're saying this as if Microsoft won't do the exact same thing, or even worst.

Amazon getting Tomb Raider is far better than Microsoft simply to act as a check and balance to Microsoft's greed buying so many well-known 3P IP as-is.

Though ideally if a big company has to acquire it, the IP would likely be best off under Sony by far. Even more ideally, if a 3P entity could get the rights and be safe from being acquired by someone like Microsoft, that would be the best option for contributing towards a healthy 3P free market.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its been "done" for a decade at this point and yet still keeps getting new releases.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Of course it is whether it was first or not in order to make it next gen and popular when the devs rebooted Tomb Raider they carbon copied uncharted, everyone knows that!

Hence shit like

The Next Tomb Raider Should Avoid Following in Uncharted's Footsteps With One Key Feature​

The reboot was an evolution of the original tomb raider they didn't copy uncharted at all unless you want to say that every game that involves climbing copied uncharted

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Embracer won’t be selling the IPs they have gained from these studio purchases.

Certain of that.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The reboot was an evolution of the original tomb raider they didn't copy uncharted at all unless you want to say that every game that involves climbing copied uncharted
The reboot copied uncharted to the T in many things and there's a thousand articles about it but I'll let you tell it. Most games copy eachother as Uncharted got inspiration from TR, Indian Jones etc and those games inspiration from pitfall and others but to think that TR reboot and changing it's formula wasn't inspired by Uncharted is bizarre lol but hey I hear you.

Last edited: