Eurogamer Spec Analysis: PlayStation 5 Pro - the most powerful console yet |UP| 4/1 How Did Sony Beat Microsoft In Machine Learning For Consoles?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
That makes no sense, does anyone expect better physics on PS5 Pro than those on the PS5? This is a mid gen console, not a new gen.

We have plenty of much more powerful CPUs on PC and other than higher framerate you don't get anything else.

You misunderstand what I mean.
From his purely selfish perspective, he wants some big CPU bump because that would raise the floor for what is possible for multiplatform games in that regards to physics and would translate to games in general and in an increased focus in that area which would circle back to his PC.

That's why I said better luck next time to that, because it's clearly not going to happen.
Even if there WAS a larger bump, that's not what developers would use it for anyway.
In general players don't really care about the interactivity of rocks, grass and random stuff in the world at all.
All these open world with not too much world interactivity selling a gazillion amount of copies should be proof of that.

They'll add more rays though :ROFLMAO:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You misunderstand what I mean.
From his purely selfish perspective, he wants some big CPU bump because that would raise the floor for what is possible for multiplatform games in that regards to physics and would translate to games in general and in an increased focus in that area which would circle back to his PC.

That's why I said better luck next time to that, because it's clearly not going to happen.
Even if there WAS a larger bump, that's not what developers would use it for anyway.
In general players don't really care about the interactivity of rocks, grass and random stuff in the world at all.
All these open world with not too much world interactivity selling a gazillion amount of copies should be proof of that.
No it wouldn't it's a midgen upgrade, Sony first part games still need to run on the PS5 and third party games need to run on the Series S.

Players love physics, that was a big part of why both Zelda BoTW and Zelda TotK were such huge successes. It's just a lot harder to do that stuff in games compared to focusing only on graphics. Even on a game like Helldivers 2 physics are a big component of why it's so good to play.

Good interactivity is a pretty consistent trait of the greatest games out there.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Players love physics, that was a big part of why both Zelda BoTW and Zelda TotK were such huge successes. It's just a lot harder to do that stuff in games compared to focusing only on graphics.

This is true, but I was talking more about like environmental destruction of objects/grass moving when you move around and other, y'know the real basic shit not tied to gameplay. I've heard him complain about things like that in DF content at least like... 5-6 time minimum. But the thing is, if it's not tied to gameplay very much, then its just taking rendering time for things that could be used for pushing pixels which developers have clearly chosen.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is true, but I was talking more about like environmental destruction of objects/grass moving when you move around and other, y'know the real basic shit not tied to gameplay. I've heard him complain about things like that in DF content at least like... 5-6 time minimum. But the thing is, if it's not tied to gameplay very much, then its just taking rendering time for things that could be used for pushing pixels which developers have clearly chosen.
That is way more of a talent issue than a hardware issue.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Because it hasn't, RDNA 2 isn't double duty while RDNA 3 is. While technically the GPU is 33 teraflops in performative reality it amounts to 16.XX.

It's the reason it states it's 45% more powerful and not 200%.
TF's alone it's over 3 X.
That's the reality.
If we factor RDNA 3 and 4(which you conviently left out) newer architecture/efficiency we get a even higher times.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
That's the reality.
If we factor RDNA 3 and 4(which you conviently left out) newer architecture/efficiency we get a even higher times.
You are really setting yourself up for some disappointing realities if you're not actually looking into what all these things mean.

This is starting to turn into that SSD nonsense again.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
You are really setting yourself up for some disappointing realities if you're not actually looking into what all these things mean.

If the specs are real I am just stating the facts.

The I/O of the PS5 is no gimmick streaming over 20gb/s of data. The problem is developers not utilizing it.
With the most recent example being Rise of Ronin that has pop in galore.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

There is no SSD nonsense just stupid people incapable or unwilling to understand what it is. You can ask Linus.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
If the specs are real I am just stating the facts.

The I/O of the PS5 is no gimmick streaming over 20gb/s of data. The problem is developers not utilizing it.
With the most recent example being Rise of Ronin that has pop in galore.
No you're disingenuously leading people to believe something that's not actually going to be a reality in practice.

That 33 teraflops is not the equivalent of taking the PlayStation 5's 10.28 and multiply it by a factor of 3.

It'll be slightly above a 1.5x increase with some efficiency boosts.

Insomniac leveraged it perfectly in Ratchet & Clank and yet it loads the same via direct storage.

The point being you're setting up an expectation not only for yourself but likely in a manner that is going to lead people to believe something that could never be.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
CPU: Barely upgrade... the increase in clock seems more to hold the overhead due the additional GPU power than to have spare power to use in games.
GPU: 33.5TFs RDNA3 yeap... well it perform lower than 16.7TFs RDNA2... it is still 6.4TFs over PS5... it is the place were we are getting the most increase.
GDDR6: perhaps the biggest bottleneck.... very little increase in speed and size for the GPU jump.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
No you're disingenuously leading people to believe something that's not actually going to be a reality in practice.

That 33 teraflops is not the equivalent of taking the PlayStation 5's 10.28 and multiply it by a factor of 3.

It'll be slightly above a 1.5x increase with some efficiency boosts.

Insomniac leveraged it perfectly in Ratchet & Clank and yet it loads the same via direct storage.

The point being you're setting up an expectation not only for yourself but likely in a manner that is going to lead people to believe something that could never be.
It's 33.5 not 33.
The RDNA 3 and 4 combo architecture is more efficient than RDNA 2.

1.5 X?
Your math is terrible or you are a bad liar.

I didn't mention other things like the new AI upscaling or the lackluster CPU increase.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: rinzler

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's the reality.
It is actually around 1.5x.
Don't fall by AMD new marketing bullshit.

Plus RDNA3 is less efficient than RDNA2.

• brain
Reactions: rinzler

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
It's 33.5 not 33.
The RDNA 3 and 4 combo architecture is more efficient than RDNA 2.

1.5 X?
Your math is terrible or you are a bad liar.

I didn't mention other things like the new AI upscaling or the lackluster CPU increase.
You really need to research what you're talking about dude lol