Eurogamer: What is the point of Xbox? More Shots fired 🧨

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Iconera was right about everything, everyone else is catching up, despite the writing on the wall.
marvel comics GIF

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko and voke

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
This probably is very for two threads here... he worked at Microsoft as Senior Public Relations Manager.

GNIN568WIAAzQb8
Imagine what kind of idiots runs trillion corporation.

Rounding error division, never posted profit, has decline for last 15 years and u still greenlight 70 billion buying spree for that division.

They re lucky they have windows monopol.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Rounding error division, never posted profit, has decline for last 15 years and u still greenlight 70 billion buying spree for that division.

They can risk more than others.
They can have loses for a longer period than others.

It is not the first neither the last time Microsoft supports a product for years in lose just to kill the competition.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They can risk more than others.
They can have loses for a longer period than others.

It is not the first neither the last time Microsoft supports a product for years in lose just to kill the competition.
It also isn't the first time they will support a product to ultimately lose millions and end up with a failure.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That's the real problem here.
Phil Spencer's been allowed to be incompetent for way too long, and now I fear Microsoft might just decide to nuke it all because shareholders ran out of patience.
Absolutely.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Oh lord of lolz, here they are: the hilarious Phil Protectors and Don Mattrick Excusers.

Mattrick ran Xbox for 3 years and spent less than $1B of daddy Microsoft's money. Phil has been running Xbox for 10 years and his bill is close to $90B.
The failures of Phil Spencer are orders of magnitude above Mattrick's.

But sure, all this is Don Mattrick's fault. 🤣

Same hypocrites who were giving Phil Spencer lifetime achievement awards until last year.

The jury is for these awards is composed by none other than videogame journalists and other industry stakeholders.

Bill would be easily over 100B. They never ever had a profit.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

There ‘lucky” they made there name and money back in the 90’s. Otherwise they are a shit company with shit software

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I'm probably way off base here since even Bethesda employees are saying something else but to me it reads like a money/budgeting issue within Bethesda. They need to staff up for TES and FO (and Starfield, which is still in active development) and MS won't raise their budget, hence cuts elsewhere. I think its dogshit, Arkane is sad but makes sense but Tango is a massive own goal, someone at MGS should have stepped in and reassigned them to another division without cutting Bethesda's budget.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm probably way off base here since even Bethesda employees are saying something else but to me it reads like a money/budgeting issue within Bethesda. They need to staff up for TES and FO (and Starfield, which is still in active development) and MS won't raise their budget, hence cuts elsewhere. I think its dogshit, Arkane is sad but makes sense but Tango is a massive own goal, someone at MGS should have stepped in and reassigned them to another division without cutting Bethesda's budget.
Gamepass budgeting doesn't allow for higher budgets for devs which is the issue and we all forsaw when this was announced. Microsoft has a set budget for game pass and the game's tht will be coming there day one and thy aren't going to budge. Furthermire in the Devolver subscription thread an X Bethesda employee stated that Game Pass and due to games on Gamepass not reaching sales margins it has caused Microsoft to shutter devs. We told these idiots long ago gamepass would cannabalize sales and restricting budgets due to Game Pass wouldn't help because then you offer nothing enticing for ppl to even want to get gamepass.

They thought spitting out terms like AAAA game development would pull the wool over ppls eyes and not allow them to see what's really there, a bunch of mediocre AA budgeted games.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Gamepass budgeting doesn't allow for higher budgets for devs which is the issue and we all forsaw when this was announced. Microsoft has a set budget for game pass and the game's tht will be coming there day one and thy aren't going to budge. Furthermire in the Devolver subscription thread an X Bethesda employee stated that Game Pass and due to games on Gamepass not reaching sales margins it has caused Microsoft to shutter devs. We told these idiots long ago gamepass would cannabalize sales and restricting budgets due to Game Pass wouldn't help because then you offer nothing enticing for ppl to even want to get gamepass.

They though spitting out terms like AAAA game development would pull the wool over ppls eyes and not allow them to see what's really there, a bunch of mediocre AA budgeted games.
This week's closure is a Bethesda issue, the studios were picked within Bethesda, by Bethesda. I can't really accept the fact that Tango was chosen over, for example, Doublefine due to anything other than the division they were in. MGS has clearly given both Bethesda and ABK set budgets to work within and thats why they are facing the ax despite being more successful than the random cast-offs MS had been acquiring.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
This week's closure is a Bethesda issue, the studios were picked within Bethesda, by Bethesda. I can't really accept the fact that Tango was chosen over, for example, Doublefine due to anything other than the division they were in. MGS has clearly given both Bethesda and ABK set budgets to work within and thats why they are facing the ax despite being more successful than the random cast-offs MS had been acquiring.
And my point is that those budgets given are tied to a larger game pass budget.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Phil would still need to sign off on Tango. He would be aware Bethesda chose Tango and Arkane weeks or months ago. Matt Booty was overseeing them and he was just appointed, of course Phil is there behind him taking the decisions with him.

He could easily say not Tango, we are cancelling DLC for F76 or ESO instead.