European monthly charts May. EA Sports FC 24 and GTA 5 top European charts in tough May.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

European GSD May 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3F1 23 (Codemasters)
4Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut (Sony)
5Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo)
6Helldivers 2 (Sony)
7Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
8Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
9Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (EA)
10Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)

11.6 million PC and console games were sold across European markets in May. Compared with the same five week period in 2023, that's a drop of nearly 17%.

The No.1 selling game in May this year was EA Sports FC 24, followed by Grand Theft Auto 5. F1 2024 races in at No.3, which launches a good two weeks earlier this year. However, the Codemasters game has got off to a slow start, with launch sales down 35% over last year's game.

The PC release of Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut sends the PlayStation game up to No.4. Meanwhile, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door comes in at No.5. Nintendo does not share digital sales with the charts, so the game may have charted higher in reality.

Looking at similar games, the new Paper Mario's sales are down 8% compared with the opening two weeks of last year's Super Mario RPG, and 8.5% lower than 2020's Paper Mario: The Origami King.

Finally, Star Wars-related pricing activity had sent Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order back into the Top Ten.

Console sales fall sharply on tough Switch comparisons
Across the tracked markets, 311,000 games consoles were sold in May 2023, which is a drop of 40% over the same period the year before.

All console platforms saw a big drop, with Nintendo Switch suffering the biggest fall. Again, this is because last May saw the release of Zelda and a special Zelda edition of the OLED Switch model.

Meanwhile, accessory sales fell 25% for the same five-week period, once again led by the DualSense controller (which actually saw sales rise year-on-year).

Reactions: Entropi

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Very weak month overall

If anyone old football game and cod are at the top and console sales are that low... With nothing much in the chart new.

Things can only improve from here

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Box

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Damm gta 5 is a beast
Gta 6 will boost ps5 sells in 2025
70F95525DAB694CE7AE857D79CD3CFB30164E371

GTAV had generated about $8 billion, the game stay the most profitable entertainment product of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I remember some users here saying gamers won't buy a PS5 for GTA 6 lol
What a fool.

We are ready to see a boost in PS5 sales with GTA6 even bigger than what PS4 got with Destiny in 2014.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Very weak month as pointed out by folks but also by Chris himself.
F1 24(23 is the one from last year) is down quite substantially over last year's version due to technical issues and the fact that it is still #3 says it all.

Helldivers 2 is still #6 which is extremely commendable for a game released in February.
Although, I imagine it'll get out of the Top 10 in June in many markets.

I remember some users here saying gamers won't buy a PS5 for GTA 6 lol
What a fool.
We are ready to see a boost in PS5 sales with GTA6 even bigger than what PS4 got with Destiny in 2014.

GTA6 is poised to be the biggest entertainment launch of all time, the month the game comes out is going to be some really funny numbers.

GTAV had generated about $8 billion, the game stay the most profitable entertainment product of all time.

There's quite a few games that have generated more revenue than GTAV.

• they're_right_you_know

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There's quite a few games that have generated more revenue than GTAV.
Which ones?

Because as March 2024 GTAV was considered the most financially successful entertainment product of all time with over $8.9b in revenue.

Minecraft sold more units but made less revenue than GTA5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilms

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Which ones?

Because as March 2024 GTAV was considered the most financially successful entertainment product of all time with over $8.9b in revenue.

Fornite, Honor of Kings and the other highest grossing mobile games of all time.
Quite possibly LoL as well, although that's difficult to know since they don't really talk much about it.

Roblox is also getting up there no?
Revenue has been accelerating in the last few years, but I haven't kept up with the current total revenue.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Fornite, Honor of Kings and the other highest grossing mobile games of all time.
Quite possibly LoL as well, although that's difficult to know since they don't really talk much about it.

Roblox is also getting up there no?
Revenue has been accelerating in the last few years, but I haven't kept up with the current total revenue.
Now I understood the issue here.
Fortnite is F2P so you are using revenue from MTX.
The best selling games of all time doesn’t include F2P games because you are not paying for it… Fortnite sales revenue is $0 without MTX.

It is GTAV followed by Minecraft.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Now I understood the issue here.
Fortnite is F2P so you are using revenue from MTX.
The best selling games of all time doesn’t include F2P games because you are not paying for it… Fortnite sales revenue is $0 without MTX.

Which ones?

Considering your quote was talking about all entertainment products(and their multiple revenue streams) one would expect that F2P games would not be excluded from that statement. That's a fairly arbitrary distinction to put in.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Considering your quote was talking about all entertainment products(and their multiple revenue streams) one would expect that F2P games would not be excluded from that statement. That's a fairly arbitrary distinction to put in.
Not mine.

GTAV is listed as the most financial successful entertainment product of all time with $8.93b as March 2024.

F2P is probably not counted because you don’t sell F2P games.

It is counts only revenue coming from units sold over the years… if you include GTA Online MTX it will probably add some more billions to the revenue and that can be compared with F2P games revenue.

F2P games have 0 revenue from game sales.

I’m sure myself why the industry separate games sales from MTX.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Evilms