European Sales September 2024 | PS5 240K, NSW 66K, XBS 26K

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Overall:
Software - 17.6 million (up 20% YoY)
Hardware - Over 335,000 (down 18% YoY)
Accessories - 1.1 million (down 2.4% YoY)
Software:
FC 25 - (-2%) FC24
Warhammer 40K - already ahead of FF7 Rebirth, DD2 and TLOU2R after just a few weeks
Astro Bot - ahead of (+34%) Sonic Frontiers, (+52%) Crash 4, (+7.5%) RC RA
Zelda EoW - (-15%) Links Awakening Remake
Hardware Estimates:
PS5 - 240K
NSW - 66K
XBS - 26K
September 2024:
1-PS5 (-17%)
2-NSW (+1.5%)
3-X/S (-58%)
September 2023:
1-PS5 (+175%)
2-NSW (-28%)
3-X/S (-35%)
In terms of hardware, across tracked markets 335,000 games consoles were sold, a drop of 18% over September last year. PS5 remains comfortably No.1 across all markets, although sales are down 17% over this time last year. Nintendo Switch is in second place and actually saw sales increase 1.5% over the year before, potentially helped by the new Zelda Switch Lite console.
Xbox Series S and X remain in third position with sales down 58% over this time last year. September 2023 saw the release of a major new Xbox title in Starfield, which will partially explain the big drop year-on-year. Over in accessories, nearly 1.1 million items were sold across tracked markets, a drop of 2.4% over September last year. The PS5 DualSense remains the leading controller, potentially boosted last month by the new Astro Bot special edition variant.
Also new in September is Astro Bot from PlayStation. It's a decent launch for the 3D platform game. Compared to recent AAA 3D platform efforts, Astro's sales after four weeks are 34% bigger than 2022's Sonic Frontiers and 52% up over 2020's Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. Sales are also 7.5% higher than what platform shooter Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart managed over a similar period in 2021, which was also a PS5 exclusive aimed at a slighter wider audience.

European GSD September 2024 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1EA Sports FC 25 (EA)
2The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
3Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 (Pullup Entertainment)
4Astro Bot (Sony)
5Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
6NBA 2K25 (2K Games)
7Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
8The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (Nintendo)*
9The Crew Motorfest (Ubisoft)
10Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown (Big Ben)

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
2023 +175% and 2024 -17% is quite good, especially considering that console sales peak in the third year and the price is still high. This seems to be lost on some people in this conversation.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Xbox had a -35% drop last year and -58% this year.

Another Phil Spencer award and promotion to celebrated such great feats.

I’m sure his fans are editing another cringeworthy tribute video as we speak.

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Hardware down 18%. Industry totally fine.
That is just Xbox, dragging anyone down.

Xbox had a -35% drop last year and -58% this year.

Another Phil Spencer award and promotion to celebrated such great feats.
Their downs, are based on downs.

It's like dropping through a rotten wood floor, yet somehow manage to fall even deeper after getting back on your feet...

• brain
Reactions: The Icon and Dabaus

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
2023 +175% and 2024 -17% is quite good, especially considering that console sales peak in the third year and the price is still high. This seems to be lost on some people in this conversation.
They seem to have some sales in certain countries and I'm sure they could offer something great for November and December to get the sales they want.

It's not too bad at all considering everything.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Those Xbox numbers across two years are totally apocalyptic.

PlayStation numbers are fine but if I was Sony, I would be looking into cutting prices in Europe.

Again, why would Sony cut prices BEFORE GTA6 comes out and BEFORE EA FC goes exclusive next gen? Does that sound like good business strategy to you?

Reactions: Bryank75

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
Take in mind that that more than half of these 18% come from Xbox.
Removing them you have 6-8% drop in hardware sales.

That doesn't feel so bad.
Switch is awaiting a new Device.

PlayStation is 4 Years in.

6-8% drop means that they still do very well, all things considered!

• haha
Reactions: Boswollox

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Take in mind that that more than half of these 18% come from Xbox.
Removing them you have 6-8% drop in hardware sales.

That doesn't feel so bad.

That's not how math works.

Xbox was not half of the European market or anywhere close to it last year.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
AstroBot sold a bit less compared to Ratchet across all of Europe compared to the UK, but it's still up.
Good news, but maybe not as much as I would've hoped, Little robot go!

Also, No wonder the CCO of Saber Interactive said that W40K: Space Marine 2 changes everything for the company.

I mean:
That means the big surprise hit of the month had to settle for third place. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 has been a real breakout hit, and just like in the UK, it is currently 2024's third best-selling new game after just a few weeks on sale, ahead of the likes of Dragon's Dogma 2, The Last of Us Part 2: Remastered and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth.

It is comfortably the fastest-selling Warhammer game so far. In fact, after four weeks it is on the brink of becoming the best-selling Warhammer game across Europe of all time, eclipsing the sales of the Total War: Warhammer titles.

At least in Europe, it'll probably be the best selling W40K title by the end of this month or November. This is without talking about the fact that the game sold a shitload of Early Access copies with an increased price point, that's a lot of "extra" revenue.

It'll probably already be the best selling W40K in the US considering those strategy games are probably less appealing to the US PC market, plus people get caught up on the hype all the time, and this game was quite hyped pre-launch compared to your usual W40K title.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
AstroBot sold a bit less compared to Ratchet across all of Europe compared to the UK, but it's still up.
Good news, but maybe not as much as I would've hoped, Little robot go!

Astro Bot desperately needs a second ad campaign post GOTY.

If it wins GOTY and gets its ad campaign it might hit more serious numbers, otherwise, it will be lucky to hit 7 million units.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Astrobot started strong but the ranking on PSN is worrisome. I know there's many new releases but we have to keep it going. Sony is too quiet, that robot is their saving grace for anything positive about them.

• haha
Reactions: Boswollox