European Sales September 2024 | PS5 240K, NSW 66K, XBS 26K

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That's not how math works.

Xbox was not half of the European market or anywhere close to it last year.
Xbox this year: 26k
Xbox last year: ~63k

Industry this year: 335k
Industry last year: ~408k

So Xbox contributed to 37k of the 73k... that is a bit over 50% of the 18%... that is what I said and excluded the 9%.

Industry this year without Xbox: 309k
Industry last year without Xbox: ~345k

(345k - 309k) / 345k = ~10%

Of course I was rounding to the near integer... so probably with the actual numbers without rounded math it can go from 9 to 11%... I don't see room to go outside that range even with rounded errors.

Edit - Like I said it all based in this OP % but the actual data shared in 2023 is different.

Industry last year 416k.
Industry this year 335k.

That is a 19% (to be fair 19..47%... so it is even closer to 20% than 18%) drop and not 18% that changes a lot of the results of the math I did.
Plus the shared estimates for all consoles probably are not very accurate too.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Does anyone still remember the energy beginning of this gen? With in particular the narratives after the infamous mark cerny road to ps5 talk. 9 > 12.

And now we are here

Oh, I remember. It's been fun watching those people moving goalposts and coming back with false braindead narratives like “PS5 has no games”

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Astro Bot desperately needs a second ad campaign post GOTY.

If it wins GOTY and gets its ad campaign it might hit more serious numbers, otherwise, it will be lucky to hit 7 million units.

You're acting like that would be a disappointment.
The game was probably like $40-50M to produce + market. At that number of copies sold, it'll be a very very profitable game.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
You're acting like that would be a disappointment.
The game was probably like $40-50M to produce + market. At that number of copies sold, it'll be a very very profitable game.

Careful not to put words in peoples' mouths.

I didn't say it would be a disappointment, but people did have hopes that this would take platformers to a level we haven't seen on PlayStation before. People were hoping for ~10 million units, which I thought was entirely too lofty.

The high water mark is 7.6 million units.

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
. I know there's many new releases
There are?

Those saying Xbox is dead are ten years late. Microsoft can't make up 8% of hardware sales with how little theyre selling compared to the switch.
Does no one here know math or understand how % work? 8% of 10,000 is smaller than 4% of 100,000.

• thinking_hard

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Again, why would Sony cut prices BEFORE GTA6 comes out and BEFORE EA FC goes exclusive next gen? Does that sound like good business strategy to you?
To increase the install base maximally before then, so they can have optimal profits from software sales.

Why let hardware sit on shelves?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Boswollox

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Still say PS5 could really use a price cut in Europe, and especially Japan as that is cutting sales in half there quite literally. Some people seem to be really fine staying on ps4 with sports games and the forever live service ones

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
the Xbox decay continues. In 2022 there was like a 20% drop the . Even after Bethesda purchase, and now ABK, its not moving hardware. The promise and roadmaps of xbox are always fascinating but have also been going on for 5 years now of the promise. Games still few and far between for them and the ones that come out are bad to mediocre at best.

Add on less value games being added to gamepass day 1, more games being delayed for xbox specifically and some games straight up skipping the platforms is compounding

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Silent Hill, Dragon Ball, Metaphor just this week and it's like this until the end of October.

Why are you acting like multiplats on PS5 don't count but if the same games are on Steam, it's a celebration at how diverse PC gaming is? 95% is the same fucking library 🤡

You’ll have an easier time teaching differential equations to your dog than trying to argue with a willfully ignorant individual.

• fire

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Oh, I remember. It's been fun watching those people moving goalposts and coming back with false braindead narratives like “PS5 has no games”
Now we have new narratives as if this would've always been the outcome...

By the same people who called the Series S a brilliant console, which for anyone who knows anything about gaming was obviously not the case. It was clear that releasing a base console weaker than your previous console and releasing your mid-gen refresh at the start would be a disastrous strategy long term.

10 to 1

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Silent Hill, Dragon Ball, Metaphor just this week and it's like this until the end of October.

Why are you acting like multiplats on PS5 don't count but if the same games are on Steam, it's a celebration at how diverse PC gaming is? 95% is the same fucking library 🤡
Nah fr lol. Apparently it has to be an EXCLUSIVE FOREVER game to be worth playing. These people have no idea how ridiculous they sound saying "no games" are on PS5 when it literally gets all of them.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They should be packing Asto Bot in with every PS5... Horizon got that benefit and it makes much more sense with Astro.

Edit: just adding to this... Especially coming up to Christmas and with families in mind, it makes even more sense.

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Nah fr lol. Apparently it has to be an EXCLUSIVE FOREVER game to be worth playing. These people have no idea how ridiculous they sound saying "no games" are on PS5 when it literally gets all of them.
That's like us saying there's nothing to play on Steam because Valve didn't release a new Half-life or Counterstrike since 1995. We should start saying it because it's true. Valve is the laziest, they don't deserve their place in gaming.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Valve is the laziest, they don't deserve their place in gaming.

I mean for company that started as a game developer, then forced Steam installs with HF2 and now develops less games than all the publishers and Platform holders, like Nintendo, Xbox, PS… Your not wrong lol

Probably the smartest out of all of them though. Minimum work, mostly success