Fairgame$ - Monetization and Success Predictions

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Prediction: Releases at 40 dollars after a free "beta" that is actually an advertisement. I can't give numbers but think Concord goes F2P early next year and FS in 2026.
It’s actually surprising how many people say $40. People who say this must not be good or play many multiplayer live service games.

If Fairgames is $40 & it’s only a pvp focus game that game is DOA without even being announced. Its only chance of success is Free to play.

Only studio that could get away w $40 pvp only games are established multiplayer focus studio w prestige or established ip. Bungie can get away w Marathon being $40 & even that game will likely be Free to play to give its highest chance of success where most if not all major player multiplayer game is Free to play. Follow the Valorant model have 5 heroes completely unlocked & another 5 hero that players can get by grinding the game or pay $10 just like Valorant.

Reactions: Shmunter

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Sony should make demos for their multiplayer games, like they did in the PS3 era.
Let people play the multiplayer for free until they hit a certain rank. They did something like that with Killzone 2 & 3, and I am sure It sold many on the game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Imo if they want to succeed in the gaas space they need to make a game targeted at Asia. The West is a bust, too many entitled competing factions that will pick apart any game. Leave it to the indies and smaller companies to make games like space marine, helldivers, forever winter.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I will say, the Beta probably not a smart idea cause its a double edged sword.
If they do a beta don’t do it like concord where literally everything was unlocked. Release a close beta or an open beta after a showcase. Or reveal the gameplay this September showcase with a close beta beta in early 2025 & an open beta later mid year w a September release.
Release structure: 40, PS+ when GTA6 Online comes near, f2p a year after on all platforms.
$40 will be the death of Fairgames. Payday could survive at $40 because it’s more PVE focus then Fairgames, Fairgames looks more PVP focus w PVE elements. Payday is also a known ip w a niche & dedicated community.

Splitgate: Free
Marvel Rival: Free
Deadlock: Free
Marathon: (will likely be free)
Supervive: Free

All of these games are PVP multiplayer games. They have 1 thing in common Free to play. Fairgames only chance is Free to play no one is leaving the free to play games to spend $40 when they can play a pvp game for free w many other option being free.

The only games that PS should charge $40 are PVE focus game such as Horizon online (which even that game could be Free to play if Sony really wanted to get the Monster Hunter crowd + the younger gen that aren’t playing Monster Hunter) & the Ghost Sushi multiplayer component which is rumored to be PVE focus Like Ghost Sushi legends.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Sony should make demos for their multiplayer games, like they did in the PS3 era.
Let people play the multiplayer for free until they hit a certain rank. They did something like that with Killzone 2 & 3, and I am sure It sold many on the game.
Why would someone download a demo to a game that caps there progress when they can play many other multiplayer games fully that are Free to play. No one especially younger generation will do this (download a demo to then spend $40, these people would rather save $40 & spend it on cosmetic on these free to play games)

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Why would someone download a demo to a game that caps there progress when they can play many other multiplayer games fully that are Free to play. No one especially younger generation will do this (download a demo to then spend $40, these people would rather save $40 & spend it on cosmetic on these free to play games)
To try It out? Not all of them will, but some will. They could also release a limited f2p version that you can fully unlock by paying 40$.
I actually personaly prefer the pay to play system they have for their live service games, than the FOMO f2p garbage. A good game will defend Itself at the end of the day.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Fortnite, Warzone and Apex SHOULD NOT bypass ps plus paywall. All of that is assbackwards. They’re def not removing the paywall (ps plus as a whole should be reworked so they do) so absolutely every online game should be behind it then.

This is the biggest immediate issue. This needs to be reversed ASAP. It directs consumers in that direction. It’s scummy and plays in Epic and now Microsoft’s favor. It’s just dumb and hurts every other online game in existence.

F2P vs paid is a discussion worth having but most f2p come and go within a few weeks. I do not blame concord’s failure exclusively on pricing … more like pricing and appeal while launching against Valorant on console.

Marathon is likely to be $70 lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Fortnite, Warzone and Apex SHOULD NOT bypass ps plus paywall. All of that is assbackwards. They’re def not removing the paywall (ps plus as a whole should be reworked so they do) so absolutely every online game should be behind it then.

This is the biggest immediate issue. This needs to be reversed ASAP. It directs consumers in that direction. It’s scummy and plays in Epic and now Microsoft’s favor. It’s just dumb and hurts every other online game in existence.

F2P vs paid is a discussion worth having but most f2p come and go within a few weeks. I do not blame concord’s failure exclusively on pricing … more like pricing and appeal while launching against Valorant on console.

Marathon is likely to be $70 lol.
Can be argued free to play should be just that Free, no barrier to entry. It's like a pivot, the model allows more people to play and thus bigger base to spend in the game store.

So they question is, does the low barrier of entry result in more players which results in more spend. Sony most certainly gets their share from those transactions.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Silly thread.

Should really only be created after we get a deep dive into its actual gameplay systems. Judging or forecasting a game based on it's CGI trailer is just useless at this point.

If they do a beta don’t do it like concord where literally everything was unlocked. Release a close beta or an open beta after a showcase. Or reveal the gameplay this September showcase with a close beta beta in early 2025 & an open beta later mid year w a September release.

$40 will be the death of Fairgames. Payday could survive at $40 because it’s more PVE focus then Fairgames, Fairgames looks more PVP focus w PVE elements. Payday is also a known ip w a niche & dedicated community.

Splitgate: Free
Marvel Rival: Free
Deadlock: Free
Marathon: (will likely be free)
Supervive: Free

All of these games are PVP multiplayer games. They have 1 thing in common Free to play. Fairgames only chance is Free to play no one is leaving the free to play games to spend $40 when they can play a pvp game for free w many other option being free.

The only games that PS should charge $40 are PVE focus game such as Horizon online (which even that game could be Free to play if Sony really wanted to get the Monster Hunter crowd + the younger gen that aren’t playing Monster Hunter) & the Ghost Sushi multiplayer component which is rumored to be PVE focus Like Ghost Sushi legends.
A fundamental misunderstanding of why people spend money.

The $40 dollars is for when they can build enough hype and excitement that paying to play becomes reasonable. Helldivers 2 wasn't a smash success because it was PvE, it was a smash success because they did enough to excite players into wanting to jump into that world.

The pay up front model requires FOMO and hype. The F2P model doesn't.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Sorry Jade Raymond has not made a game worth a shit in a decade and a half, being attractive only takes you so far until you actually have to deliver the goods

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Never played a heist game, and from what I can tell it’s a pvevp heist game, a genre I wish I saw pop up more often. It’s their first game, hope they do something fresh.

the aesthetic/theme are kinda ehhh though

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Depends on how woke. Seriously that will be the first wave of issues.

People are gonna pretend they aint biased, but if the game has woke shit it will be hated by 90% of PS fans and not only will they not try the game, they will slate it for months.

If it doesnt have woke shit, then it has a 2nd wave of problems
Steamfanboy and Anti gaas PS fan who will post everything they can to say a game is DOA. Or dead. And why was XYZ SP game was cancelled because of this gaas trash etc lol.

Once past these issues, then finally it has to be a good game. If it makes it that far.

Jade hasnt made a game I like really, and I wasnt into Payday, will try it but Im pretty fussy when it comes to gunplay and controls for FPS games

2 Jun 2024
hope it's good or at least a replacement for payday 3 as a heist game since payday 3 was kind of let down compared to payday 2 hope they give a better presentation though the first reveal was rough to look at a pvp heist hasn't really been done unlike with Concord where theirs been a ton of hero shooters

Last edited:

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
I might be in the minority, but Fairgames is the one GAAS release from PlayStation that I'm somewhat looking forward to. Obviously I need to see gameplay before I decide to jump on, but I have hope that it'll be worth my time. I've been interested in trying the Payday series for years, but I'm massively put off by the way they treated the PlayStation port of Payday 2 and I'll never buy one of their games as a result. So if Fairgames has similar gameplay, I'll definitely give it a shot and I hope it succeeds.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I might be in the minority, but Fairgames is the one GAAS release from PlayStation that I'm somewhat looking forward to. Obviously I need to see gameplay before I decide to jump on, but I have hope that it'll be worth my time. I've been interested in trying the Payday series for years, but I'm massively put off by the way they treated the PlayStation port of Payday 2 and I'll never buy one of their games as a result. So if Fairgames has similar gameplay, I'll definitely give it a shot and I hope it succeeds.
I don't understand the Payday comparisons. Payday is a 4p PvE coop game. Fairgames is a 3v3v3v3v3 PvP game. Outside of the theme, the gameplay will vary quite a bit.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Payday isn’t really charting anywhere anymore.

The hunter/prey games seem to do better as Dead by Daylight is kinda huge and hell… even Sony’s predator game consistently charts with psn sales still.

I can’t say I'm interested or would be in either type of game. I love my online games but they need that single player hook too for me.

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Lol instead of FairGame$ they could have named the game vaultbreakers or some shit, this game has a cringe name along with a cringe premise. Might as well add "Save the climate" along with eating the rich.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Payday isn’t really charting anywhere anymore.

The hunter/prey games seem to do better as Dead by Daylight is kinda huge and hell… even Sony’s predator game consistently charts with psn sales still.

I can’t say I'm interested or would be in either type of game. I love my online games but they need that single player hook too for me.

Million dollar idea: Battle Royale or Extraction Shooter based on extreme (Dead by Daylight type) asymmetrical design. Solo players queue into matches as giant, powerful creatures. Squads of four queue into matches against the solo giants. Duos queue into the same matches as unique spy type partners.

It would solve one of the big problems multiplayer currently faces. Playing without friends is often an objectively worse experience than those playing with friends.