Famitsu sales (3/18/24 – 3/24/24)

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It is still selling better than PS3 or PS4.
The issue is that it is way lower to way they had with PS1 and PS2.... plus way lower than what Switch sold.
It's gonna fall behind the PS4 soon unless something unforseen causes a jolt of sales momentum.

24 Jun 2022
Buy Square & Capcom and make all the games exclusive to PS consoles or make exclusivity deals with them. Exclusives, full exclusives, not on PC or anywhere else is the key.

Making a handheld is pointless cause Nintendo have too much momentum there.

Personally I think a combination of a handheld that can play console games at scaled-down settings, and also has a good amount of genuine exclusives, would be best markets like Japan and globally as well.

is it me or have PS sales kinda collapsed in Japan?

They are definitely lower than what they seemed to be last year on average. The previous baseline was like 40K weekly; now it seems like 25K and sometimes not even that.

Switch sales winding down makes sense because they've definitely saturated the Japanese gaming market. PS5's case is more in question.

Xbox? They're dead-dead in Japan and it's been that way for like two years.

Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Personally I think a combination of a handheld that can play console games at scaled-down settings, and also has a good amount of genuine exclusives, would be best markets like Japan and globally as well.

It's so crazy how they basically did the whole hybrid thing almost 15 years ago and never bothered to perfect it. Looking back the Vita should have been what the Switch became and launched / bundled alongside the PS4.

The portal is decent step forward but they seemed to have not had any faith in it and produced so little the major hype has now dried up.

But that's exactly what Japan needs as you mentioned. Having all those F2P games portable would be a huge win for them.

24 Jun 2022
It's so crazy how they basically did the whole hybrid thing almost 15 years ago and never bothered to perfect it. Looking back the Vita should have been what the Switch became and launched / bundled alongside the PS4.

The portal is decent step forward but they seemed to have not had any faith in it and produced so little the major hype has now dried up.

But that's exactly what Japan needs as you mentioned. Having all those F2P games portable would be a huge win for them.

Yeah and even tho the Portal isn't the optimal solution (at least not until it can do cloud streaming on its own, otherwise it's kinda at least $649 since you still need a PS5 for functionality), it could serve markets like Japan very well for the time being.

I'd like to think reception to the Portal might've genuinely surprised Sony and hence they're moving ahead internally with a native portable handheld (probably based on PS6) and I can easily see tech like PSSR getting leveraged in such a handheld. Even so, it wouldn't hurt for them to produce more Portals; the prior launch basically feels like it was a market test.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Here's a question for yall. There's only one mark cerny, so would you prefer him spending all his effort into making the main console the best it can be, or divide his attention to making hardware like a portable companion console?

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Here's a question for yall. There's only one mark cerny, so would you prefer him spending all his effort into making the main console the best it can be, or divide his attention to making hardware like a portable companion console?
someone else can work on it

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
All this chart says to me is Ps5 needs a major price cut in Japan.
-Ff7 sticking around top 10 is a nice.
-Rise of the ronin did ok probably would’ve done better if it didn’t release the same day as dd2
-Dd2 seems like a major flop in Japan at least.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
but it's not a playstation handheld the way people are talking about
Yeah, I think the window for that has closed. If they release a Steam deck like device that can play PS4 games, thats cool, but who knows if the juice is worth the squeeze. Especially if future games won't be developed for it. I also don't see a PSP/Vita type device with its own dedicated games being made ever again.

I think Sony just needs to take the L in Japan and move on. No need to make radical changes for 1 region when they have the rest of the world on lock. If JP chooses to reject amazing games that aren't possible on a handheld, like Yakuza, FF16, and FF7 Rebirth, then so be it 🤷‍♂️ Most of the big Japanese games have cultivated huge global audiences and are no longer reliant on the Japanese market.

Reactions: Umar