Famitsu sales (3/18/24 – 3/24/24)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Of course not, the Steam Deck was released more than 2 years ago. A portable PS4 has been possible for a while.

Once again people will start to pretend that everything is somehow much harder for Sony to do while the likes of Valve, Asus and Lenovo can do it for some reason.
Sorry man but thats a false equivalency....a Steam Deck is just a Linux pc, Rog Ally and Legion Go are Windows PCs.....a PS4 is a PS4! Of course it'd be much harder to get a PS4 in that form factor, and for everything to function properly. Those are all "open source", so if something doesn't work or games run like trash (dragons dogma 2, helldivers 2, etc), no one will blame Valve or Asus or Lenovo. Sony doesn't have that same luxury, everything would have to work and work very well. And people won't put up with a 30 minute battery life from a Sony handheld that they do with a Steam Deck or Rog Ally. It has to do everything they do, but significantly better, and be significantly more user friendly. Idk how you can think that doesn't require a ton of work.....

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The latest Japanese hardware sales from Famitsu are as follows:

Switch OLED – 46,851
PS5 – 24,183
Switch Lite – 7,826
Switch – 6,151
PS5 Digital Edition – 3,605
Xbox Series X – 958
Xbox Series S – 402
PS4 – 250
New 2DS LL – 9

For comparison’s sake, here are the hardware numbers from last week:

Switch – 30,753
PS5 – 22,665
Switch Lite – 7,337
Switch – 4,793
PS5 Digital Edition – 3,851
Xbox Series X – 817
Xbox Series S – 679
PS4 – 588
New 2DS LL – 12

Software..

1. [NSW] Princess Peach: Showtime – 77,562 / NEW
2. [PS5] Dragon’s Dogma 2 – 68,592 / NEW
3. [PS5] Rise of the Ronin – 64,646 / NEW
4. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Online: The Door to the Future and the Sleeping Girl – 17,919 / NEW
5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9,276 / 5,758,176
6. [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder – 8,118 / 1,795,584
7. [PS4] Dragon Quest X Online: The Door to the Future and the Sleeping Girl – 7,333 / NEW
8. [PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth – 7,121 / 305,756
9. [NSW] Mario vs. Donkey Kong – 6,987 / 131,428
10. [NSW] Minecraft – 6,563 / 3,476,939

Source
Of course Mario Kart is #5 smh.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
I hope dragon quest x comes to the west, I hear only good things about it from my weeb japanese friends

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
Sony is dominant in every market except Japan
They need to figure out something to fix this situation

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sorry man but thats a false equivalency....a Steam Deck is just a Linux pc, Rog Ally and Legion Go are Windows PCs.....a PS4 is a PS4! Of course it'd be much harder to get a PS4 in that form factor, and for everything to function properly. Those are all "open source", so if something doesn't work or games run like trash (dragons dogma 2, helldivers 2, etc), no one will blame Valve or Asus or Lenovo. Sony doesn't have that same luxury, everything would have to work and work very well. And people won't put up with a 30 minute battery life from a Sony handheld that they do with a Steam Deck or Rog Ally. It has to do everything they do, but significantly better, and be significantly more user friendly. Idk how you can think that doesn't require a ton of work.....
Stop it, we already have PS4 games running in Zen2 and RDNA2 on the PS5. Sony is not that incompetent, they just didn't think of it or probably, like many others mistakenly anticipated that the portable market would be destroyed by mobile.

Why should Sony not be doing "things that require work"? This is what they get as a result of that, a PS5 that is somehow selling less than the PS4 despite the death of Xbox and a Japanese market where they are far behind.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Stop it, we already have PS4 games running in Zen2 and RDNA2 on the PS5. Sony is not that incompetent, they just didn't think of it or probably, like many others mistakenly anticipated that the portable market would be destroyed by mobile.

Why should Sony not be doing "things that require work"? This is what they get as a result of that, a PS5 that is somehow selling less than the PS4 despite the bad sales of Xbox and a Japanese market where they are far behind.
You're ignoring the fact that it's a small form factor device... that's not the same as the PS5 being backwards compatible 🤣 I never said they were incompetent or that they shouldn't do the work, I'm just saying it's not as easy as you make it out to be. You don't just pop out brand new hardware on a whim. Even the PS Portal, a simple streaming device, was in development for years... and you think a native handheld can be done quicker? They can't just take an APU off the shelf and an already existing operating system like Valve, Asus, Lenovo, and MSI do. Like I said, Sony's job is 10x harder than theirs and they're held to a significantly higher standard than them.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You're ignoring the fact that it's a small form factor device... that's not the same as the PS5 being backwards compatible 🤣 I never said they were incompetent or that they shouldn't do the work, I'm just saying it's not as easy as you make it out to be. You don't just pop out brand new hardware on a whim. Even the PS Portal, a simple streaming device, was in development for years... and you think a native handheld can be done quicker? They can't just take an APU off the shelf and an already existing operating system like Valve, Asus, Lenovo, and MSI do. Like I said, Sony's job is 10x harder than theirs and they're held to a significantly higher standard than them.
Ideal Sony: We choose to do a native portable device that run PS4 games, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. Because that goal, as well as the goal of making native PS3 games available will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpon

Current Sony: Here is the PS Portal, it's not what anyone asked for but it was easy to make.

• haha
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and JAHGamer

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony is dominant in every market except Japan
They need to figure out something to fix this situation

Buy Square & Capcom and make all the games exclusive to PS consoles or make exclusivity deals with them. Exclusives, full exclusives, not on PC or anywhere else is the key.

Making a handheld is pointless cause Nintendo have too much momentum there.

24 Jun 2022
Ideal Sony: We choose to do a native portable device that run PS4 games, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. Because that goal, as well as the goal of making native PS3 games available will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpon

Current Sony: Here is the PS Portal, it's not what anyone asked for but it was easy to make.

If Ken Kutaragi were at PlayStation he'd of definitely insisted on a native portable PS4 by now. I admire Cerny, but I also miss Kutaragi.

They did have them present for Jim's going-away party though, so that was nice.

It is still selling better than PS3 or PS4.
The issue is that it is way lower to way they had with PS1 and PS2.... plus way lower than what Switch sold.

Hardware is selling better than PS3 & PS4 launch-aligned maybe, but software sales overall are much worst than either system.

And, given consoles get the majority of their revenue and profits off of software sales (B2P, add-on MTX/DLC content etc.), low software sales is a problem for PS5 in Japan. I don't think that can be denied anymore. It'd seem any 3P multiplat Day 1 on PS4/PS5 and Switch sees it doing 2:1 on Switch over the PlayStation platforms in Japan.

Not even to include the fact, that in Japan digital software sales aren't as prevalent as other markets like the US and UK.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hardware is selling better than PS3 & PS4 launch-aligned maybe, but software sales overall are much worst than either system.

And, given consoles get the majority of their revenue and profits off of software sales (B2P, add-on MTX/DLC content etc.), low software sales is a problem for PS5 in Japan. I don't think that can be denied anymore. It'd seem any 3P multiplat Day 1 on PS4/PS5 and Switch sees it doing 2:1 on Switch over the PlayStation platforms in Japan.

Not even to include the fact, that in Japan digital software sales aren't as prevalent as other markets like the US and UK.
I can't compare software sales due some reasons...

- Lack of digital data.
- The compilations people uses in the yearly TOP100 / TOP1000 Famtisu are based in the Weekly TOP30.

So I can say if the software is lacking compared with previous consoles.

But I can say that the biggest sellers on PS4 or PS3 sold more than the biggest sellers on PS5.
That I agree that lead to believe PS5 software is selling less but there is no way to confirm it.

Just to think a little... imagine the last title in the TOP30 weekly sold 2k units.
How many titles in maybe the TOP100 that sold below 1k have for PS5? If it has 20 titles with 1k sales... that is another 20k in a week that we don't know and that won't be counted in the Yearly compilation people do... 20k per week gives us at the year over 1 million in software sales not counted by these compilations.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If Ken Kutaragi were at PlayStation he'd of definitely insisted on a native portable PS4 by now. I admire Cerny, but I also miss Kutaragi.

They did have them present for Jim's going-away party though, so that was nice.

👆

24 Jun 2022
I can't compare software sales due some reasons...

- Lack of digital data.
- The compilations people uses in the yearly TOP100 / TOP1000 Famtisu are based in the Weekly TOP30.

So I can say if the software is lacking compared with previous consoles.

But I can say that the biggest sellers on PS4 or PS3 sold more than the biggest sellers on PS5.
That I agree that lead to believe PS5 software is selling less but there is no way to confirm it.

Just to think a little... imagine the last title in the TOP30 weekly sold 2k units.
How many titles in maybe the TOP100 that sold below 1k have for PS5? If it has 20 titles with 1k sales... that is another 20k in a week that we don't know and that won't be counted in the Yearly compilation people do... 20k per week gives us at the year over 1 million in software sales not counted by these compilations.

Well, that is true, but then in the grand scheme of things is 1 million in software sales the whole year for a region like Japan really worth using to say software sales on a platform are healthy, when it's 1 million across many many dozens of unique software releases collectively?

The situation you're explaining for the PS5 would also exist with the Switch. There are lots of Switch games in the bottom ranks of the chart that don't sell many copies compared to the games in the Top 30. But the reason people don't question software sales health in Japan for Switch is because it does have a ton of games (mostly 1P, but some 3P too) that regularly do big numbers at the top of the charts.

Not just Nintendo games, but many 3P also see their big games do very well on Switch in Japan, so that can actually offset lower sales of smaller titles that don't break out from the bottom of the Top 100 in those situations. Most publishers on PS5 can't say the same thing for the Japanese region, unfortunately (and this is most likely also after digital is included).

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
is it me or have PS sales kinda collapsed in Japan?
I wouldn't say collapsed but it's too expensive especially for what they offering the Japanese audience.

This time of year sales are always a bit slower over there though.