Famitsu Sales: Week 10, [3/4-3/10]. Unicorn Overlord #1 with 3 skus in top 10. Rebirth #2

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Big shout out to @Evilms for providing the info.​

[Weekly sales of software and hardware] “Unicorn Overlord” takes first place and 3 versions enter the top 10 at the same time! “Fit Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku” also has strong sales [3/4-3/10]​

Week 10 (3/3/24 - 3/10/24)
  • Switch : 4.896 units (19.738.694)
  • Switch Lite : 10.762 (total 5.770.240)
  • Nintendo Switch OLED : 50.240 (total 6.838.219)
  • PS5 : 34.799 (total 4.647.882)
  • PS5 Digital Edition : 4.265 (736.531)
  • Xbox Series X : 2.290 (total 259.961)
  • Xbox Series S : 1.456 (total 304.927)
  • PS4 : 1.816 (total 7.923.822)
  • Nintendo 2DS LL : 14 (total 1.192.879)

NSW : 65.898
PS5 : 39.064
X/S : 3.746
PS4 : 1.816
3DS : 14

Software...

01.[NSW] Unicorn Overlord- 40,991 / New
02.[PS5] Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - 24,482 / 287,138 (-91%)
03.[PS5] Unicorn Overlord - 24.398 / New
04.[NSW] Fitness Boxing feat. Hatsune Miku Isshoni Exercise - 14.128 / New
05.[NSW] Mario contre. Donkey Kong - 13,238 / 116,761 (-9%)
06.[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 11.669 / 5.739.869 (+26%)
07.[NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 11.417 / 1.779.209 (-2%)
08.[PS4] Unicorn Overlord - 8,797 / New
09.[NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu World Chikyuu wa Kibou de Mawatteru! - 7.053 / 1.006.010 (-27%)
10.[NSW] Splatoon 3 - 6.460 / 4.246.168 (+15%)

Past top 10 and cumulative will be updated here...

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
90 percent drop is normal for rpgs. With that said, the PS5 installed base to software ratio doesn’t make sense. Over 5 million consoles sold is plenty fine for a game like rebirth to do well IMO. At this point the lack of PR from SE is concerning to me and makes me think rebirth may have underperformed some.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Code:
+---------------------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+---------+
|     Physical Sales        | Release Date |   1st Week   |   2nd Week   |    %    |
+---------------------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+---------+
| Final Fantasy XIII        |    12/17/09  |    1.501.964 |      188.511 |    -87% |
| Final Fantasy XV          |    11/29/16  |      690.471 |       79.792 |    -88% |
| Final Fantasy XVI         |    06/22/23  |      336.027 |       37.763 |    -89% |
| Final Fantasy VII Remake  |    04/10/20  |      702.853 |       70.652 |    -90% |
| Final Fantasy VII Rebirth |    02/29/24  |      262.656 |       24.482 |    -91% |

FF XIII & XV (MediaCreate numbers)
FF XVI, FF VII Remake & Rebirth (Famitsu numbers)

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: The Icon

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Happy to see Vanillaware finally getting good sales somewhere.

90 percent drop is normal for rpgs. With that said, the PS5 installed base to software ratio doesn’t make sense.
In worldwide numbers the amount of games sold per console is at record numbers. But the percent of game sales that are digital too, and this list only covers physical copies. Pretty likely what happens is that a ton of sales aren't listed here because they are digital.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
90 percent drop is normal for rpgs. With that said, the PS5 installed base to software ratio doesn’t make sense. Over 5 million consoles sold is plenty fine for a game like rebirth to do well IMO. At this point the lack of PR from SE is concerning to me and makes me think rebirth may have underperformed some.

Code:
+--------------------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+---------+
|     Physical Sales       | Release Date |   1st Week   |   2nd Week   |    %    |
+--------------------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+---------+
| Fial Fantasy XIII        |    12/17/09  |    1.501.964 |      188.511 |    -87% |
| Fial Fantasy XV          |    11/29/16  |      690.471 |       79.792 |    -88% |
| Fial Fantasy XVI         |    06/22/23  |      336.027 |       37.763 |    -89% |
| Fial Fantasy VII Remake  |    04/10/20  |      702.853 |       70.652 |    -90% |
| Fial Fantasy VII Rebirth |    02/29/24  |      262.656 |       24.482 |    -91% |

Its the biggest drop.
Not only that but unlike XVI it did not have special editions PS5 hardware to inflate week 1 sales leading to a bigger drop in week 2. And in terms of relative numbers, it's not going to catch up, it's too far behind at this point.

FF7R Part 3 is going to be supremely low I feel, we already knew there would be diminishing returns due to the trilogy being sequels(there's historical precedent for that with X and XIII) but its still unfortunate to see.

I don't know what Square Enix's target was for this game as far as early sales, but looking at a few markets, it would seem that Rebirth sold less than XXVI in the same timespan unless US/NA showed up noticeably stronger for FF7R2.
Happy to see Vanillaware finally getting good sales somewhere.

Could've been wayyy higher, but they severely undershipped the game.
Switch version is in massive shortages.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Its the biggest drop.
Not only that but unlike XVI, it did not have special editions PS5 hardware to inflate week 1 sales leading to a bigger drop in week 2. And in terms of relative numbers, it's not going to catch up, it's too far behind at this point.

FF7R Part 3 is going to be supremely low I feel, we already knew there would be diminishing returns due to the trilogy being sequels(there's historical precedent for that with X and XIII) but its still unfortunate to see.
In retail sales, yes. In total sales we don't know. Remember that in recent years the percent of games sales that are digital grew a lot. So at lesat a portion of this drop should be because of that.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
In retail sales, yes. In total sales we don't know. Remember that in recent years the percent of games sales that are digital grew a lot.

The growth in digital from June 2023 to February 2024 is not going to be a meaningful increase, that's copium.
In fact the digital ratio in certain markets(like the UK) was actually lower for Rebirth.
In France the digital ratio for FFXVI and Rebirth was extremely similar(from a french sales insider)

Rebirth is not going to be "saved" by digital when looking at a head to head versus FFXVI.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
The growth in digital from June 2023 to February 2024 is not going to be a meaningful increase, that's copium.
In fact the digital ratio in certain markets(like the UK) was actually lower for Rebirth.
In France the digital ratio for FFXVI and Rebirth was extremely similar(from a french sales insider)

Rebirth is not going to be "saved" by digital when looking at a head to head versus FFXVI.
I Already told him in another thread Japan digital ratio isn't even that big like I'm other countries and gave him the data and articles but he refuses to listen. When some ppl think they are right there is nothing you can tell them.

Reactions: ethomaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

There is nothing to save in the first place, it selling good. Some just reject notion that despite beeing Goty nominee, doesn't mean that it will sell massively. That's how gaming rolls, you can never predict if the game will hit hard.
Second, guy keeps beating ratallaika tree like it applies to AAA gaming. no, it isn't. Those blowing punches, one wins one round, other one next one.

24 Jun 2022

It's basically like the early PS2 days in Japan, where the hardware was selling like crazy, but software wasn't selling in proportion. Most Japanese were buying PS2s in the first year for its DVD playback.

Except for PS2 that resolved by the second year it was on the market as the in-demand games finally came out and steadily kept coming. The PS5 is in its fourth year and seeing a similar problem as PS2 in its first year, which is abnormal. The most likely culprit is a simple one: PS5 just doesn't have enough (exclusive) software to the tastes of most Japanese gamers, whereas it seems like Nintendo does.

However I'd be curious what proportion of Japanese PS5 owners are primarily using it for PS+ and F2P games; they could have a much higher concentration of such users vs. other markets, and that could explain the relatively low software sales for new releases (alongside there just not being enough new exclusives catering to their tastes).

I simply cannot understand how people are not buying Rebirth. Even if you never cared for the original and even if you haven't played the Remake first, it's such a good game on its own.

Look at it this way: if you're of gaming age in Japan, chances are you're out and about regularly. You probably can't even find a PS Portal because supply seems insanely low, so what point is there in buying a 100+ hour JRPG that you can only play when you're at home? And when you're at home, you mainly only have enough time to change clothes, maybe watch a half-hour of TV, eat a meal and go to bed?

That's the lifestyle of a lot of Japanese school-age and working-age people nowadays; being asked to commit dozens of hours a week at home sitting at your TV to play a console game isn't something they can actually do with their schedules, so there's probably not much point in them buying the game.

If the PS Portal supply situation were a lot better in the region, though, I think that'd probably help with sales of big games like Rebirth, since you can now take your gaming session with you on the go. Sneak in a half-hour here and there during breaks, while in commute, etc.

Its the biggest drop.
Not only that but unlike XVI it did not have special editions PS5 hardware to inflate week 1 sales leading to a bigger drop in week 2. And in terms of relative numbers, it's not going to catch up, it's too far behind at this point.

I don't know what Square Enix's target was for this game as far as early sales, but looking at a few markets, it would seem that Rebirth sold less than XXVI in the same timespan unless US/NA showed up noticeably stronger for FF7R2.

If there in fact isn't an exclusivity deal set yet for Part 3, I can see S-E doing Day 1 for PS5/PC there and, depending on what time the game launches, PS6. I also think they're going to release Remake and Rebirth as a double-pack for Switch 2 sometime next year at or close to the system's launch. If there's a IX remake in the works, it's probably going to target PS5 & Switch 2 for Day 1.

The novelty and excitement for VII Remake definitely generated tons of buzz & attention at the time but at least in Japan it doesn't look like the energy is being maintained for retail performance of the sequel parts. And I do think that's partly down to PS5 in general having a lack of enough exclusive software appealing to the Japanese market plus the lack of a portable option.

They technically have the PS Portal, but it's in short supply, and you still need a PS5. Which would be great except they raised the price for the new model, and Japan is probably in a recession. Not a great combo.

If I'm S-E, and I'm remaining an independent 3P publisher, I'd want to give my big IP like Final Fantasy the best chance at global success. Because if I've made what everyone's considering a masterpiece, but it's seeing heavy drops compared to even what was considered a "divisive" game, then I have to figure out what the problem is.

IMO, it's not even so much exclusivity that's the issue: if previous FF games were more consistent in what they delivered, and Square-Enix themselves had a more sensible release cadence with other games the past few years (instead of rushing them out to market and seeing many of them bomb), I think Rebirth would be doing a lot better in places like Japan, even as a PS5 exclusive. So exclusivity in and of itself is not the problem here; it's only potentially a problem when combined with S-E's own handling of the IP the past couple or so entries, and other published games that came out maybe too quickly & bombed. And that's a Square-Enix problem.

However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't consider making the games more multiplatform, as long as it doesn't negatively impact the quality. So I can see them making remakes like IX Sony/Nintendo Day 1 titles, and they might make future mainline games PS/PC Day 1 but in a way where you technically need a pretty performant PC to play it Day 1 to match the PS console version, and Square-Enix probably rolling out updates to lower the minimum spec requirement on the PC side over the months following launch.

At this rate, it's what seems like the way they'd want to do things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I dont know if the PS Portal is the answer or like a ps4 portable that can stream ps5 games but I think sony is going to have to meet the Japanese where they are (handhelds) even if that means making a device that isnt popular outside of the country. Maybe for now they really try to market the portal and see if that helps software sales? Maybe do a monster hunter promotion with the Portal explaining what it is?

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
I Already told him in another thread Japan digital ratio isn't even that big like I'm other countries and gave him the data and articles but he refuses to listen. When some ppl think they are right there is nothing you can tell them.

It's actually not relevant that the region is high or low in digital adoption, because both titles are coming out relatively close to one another in the same region, they would have very similar digital ratios.

There is nothing to save in the first place, it selling good. Some just reject notion that despite beeing Goty nominee, doesn't mean that it will sell massively. That's how gaming rolls, you can never predict if the game will hit hard.

Folks just want games they like to sell more, I get it but I've been playing enough niche games in my life that I don't get bothered by commercial performance of games(or critical reception) of games I like.
I like what I like.

The exception being when IPs are dead because there's no demand of course, that's when shit is real sad.
That's not going to happen in this situation, obviously.

Except for PS2 that resolved by the second year it was on the market as the in-demand games finally came out and steadily kept coming. The PS5 is in its fourth year and seeing a similar problem as PS2 in its first year, which is abnormal. The most likely culprit is a simple one: PS5 just doesn't have enough (exclusive) software to the tastes of most Japanese gamers, whereas it seems like Nintendo does.

That has been a recurring problem for a long time now, with the form factor also being an issue.
But I feel like this is the generation where it all adds up, Switch success, higher console prices, throw in the PC Growth post-COVID and it's a potent mix.

However I'd be curious what proportion of Japanese PS5 owners are primarily using it for PS+ and F2P games; they could have a much higher concentration of such users vs. other markets, and that could explain the relatively low software sales for new releases (alongside there just not being enough new exclusives catering to their tastes).

I feel like even a higher F2P ratio as well would struggle to explain the abysmal software attach rate.
I also don't think PS+ has a much bigger adoption rate in Japan, in fact I would think it would be the opposite based on spending habits in other subscription services. Obviously we can't know(unless there's a slide somewhere in that Insomniac leak that talks about PS+ adoption rate by region).

We also see that software releases are BARELY moving the console sales in Japan, the link between hardware moving and software releases is the weakest its ever been, just a puzzling situation all around.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony and Square really dropped the ball with advertisement.
It was benig advertised for like a week. Before that the same spot had Yakuza advertisement, which was there for weeks and weeks.
Yakuza and Zelda TOTK was still being advertised at the front of the same store….

Now Unicorn Overlord is being advertised instead

No1 can defend this shit, they just arent bothering much

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Sony and Square really dropped the ball with advertisement.
It was benig advertised for like a week. Before that the same spot had Yakuza advertisement, which was there for weeks and weeks.
Yakuza and Zelda TOTK was still being advertised at the front of the same store….

Now Unicorn Overlord is being advertised instead

No1 can defend this shit, they just arent bothering much
They also didnt do a bundle, which i found extremely odd. A bundle could at least guarantee like 50k sales.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
image.png