FF Pixel Remaster: It's not even in the top 50 most played on Xbox

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
unironically, who cares? Why do you care? Do you have money in their stock or something? Why does the average consumer give a damn about sales? I have said GP is a useless market that they're forcing, same with cloud gaming, GP is not at all the future, and cloud gaming is several years away from being anything anyone wants. I certainly don't give a single damn about their flatlining subs or low/no sales in Asia or EU. It doesn't affect me.
Basically "sales don't matter"

When everything flops "sales don't matter" (unless it's on PlayStation, where it becomes the most important and most talked about metric).

Go tell Ubisoft, Tango or Arkane that sales don't matter 🤡

• Informative
Reactions: Neversummer

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I dont think we should make that much fun of xbox considering we are on verge of the next flop being delivered to us tomorrow - Until Discount remake 🤭

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I dont think we should make that much fun of xbox considering we are on verge of the next flop being delivered to us tomorrow - Until Discount remake 🤭
The difference is they were begging and crying for FF for years, all the way to the FTC.

Who was begging for an Until Dawn PS5 or PC port? Who was hyping that release? Yes it will flop, as expected. They won't be able to rub it in our faces because nobody asked for it anyway.

Same as Concord, it was announced 2 months before release and rejected right away by the fanbase. Came and went. Bye.

I will be in the UDR CCU thread to laugh at Sony along with everybody else 😁

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022

Ironically he was the one saying "best selling games = best games" not so long ago....

Best = Best objectively, and for right now, we know at HD2 is hands down their best and fastest performing title as of this year, if Astro Bot's numbers release and we find out they did more than 12 million in 12 weeks, that's good for them and then they will be the best and fastest title.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I think exclusives in any form is bad for SE, and by extension, the entirety of gaming. I want everyone to be able to play any game they want, and there's too much "Wah this platform sucks because these people don't buy years-old games for full price" in the gaming community on all sides. Having IP release on all platforms and having said IP support crossplay or cross progression is the way.

Exclusives are good in that it makes development easier for developers and they can take full advantage of the hardware and less time making a game.

In Square Enix’s case, both teams from FF16 and FF rebirth have said being PS5 exclusive helped the games a lot. They spent time actually making the game the best they could instead of fixing bugs and trying to make it work on multiple platforms. Which is typical of multiplatform development.

Sony also helped Square Enix with developing the exclusives they got. They also marketed the games and gave funds to Square Enix in whatever amount the exclusive contracts cost.

These deals with Sony have been good for them.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
You're right Yoshi P, it's a great idea to dump FF16 on this platform.
There’s been such a push by Square Enix devs for FF on Xbox knowing it won’t sell. It’s not only a waste of time it’s a waste of resource & it will likely create more bad pr with how bad the game will perform in sales & performance.

Square just needs to make a mobile focus Final Fantasy gacha game in a anime art style that releases on mobile, PS & Nintendo if they want the casuals & modern audiences to get involved in the Final Fantasy franchise. A PVEVP Final Fantasy gacha game like Genshin or even turn base like Honkai would go hard ngl.

• brain

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Exclusives are good in that it makes development easier for developers and they can take full advantage of the hardware and less time making a game.

In Square Enix’s case, both teams from FF16 and FF rebirth have said being PS5 exclusive helped the games a lot. They spent time actually making the game the best they could instead of fixing bugs and trying to make it work on multiple platforms. Which is typical of multiplatform development.

Sony also helped Square Enix with developing the exclusives they got. They also marketed the games and gave funds to Square Enix in whatever amount the exclusive contracts cost.

These deals with Sony have been good for them.
I just don’t see how Square is saying sales didn’t meet expectations like aren’t these exclusive deals aren’t you (square enix) asking for over 50% of the development cost to ensure + the bonus from sales without needing to market the game further saving money?

If I’m square I’d go say yeah you can have FF7 & FF16 exclusive but you have to give me 75% if not 100% of the development cost + pay for marketing & the whatever the game sales is just bonus with no risk + decent if not profits day 1. FF7 & FF16 both sold 3 million in 1 week on 1 platform & somehow that’s a failure in sales expectations but RE4 that’s on all platform + it’s a shooter sold 2 million in the first month being a massive success then selling 5+ million in the first to second year selling 7 million bout the same as FF7 part 1. I expect both FF7 & FF16 selling easily 5+ million on PS alone which is great for a fantasy hack & slash rpg that has no presence in multiplayer/live service & no presence in cross media.

The bigger issue for Square is FF having no presence in cross media where’s the FF7 anime or the FF16 live action HBO MAX tv show or the FF14 movie? And again outside FF14 which is more niche & catered to asia FF has no presence in any notable multiplayer/live service that allows kids/teens to get into the FF universe w friends whether it’s premium multiplayer or free to play multiplayer experience

Reactions: On Demand

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
I just don’t see how Square is saying sales didn’t meet expectations like aren’t these exclusive deals aren’t you (square enix) asking for over 50% of the development cost to ensure + the bonus from sales without needing to market the game further saving money?

If I’m square I’d go say yeah you can have FF7 & FF16 exclusive but you have to give me 75% if not 100% of the development cost + pay for marketing & the whatever the game sales is just bonus with no risk + decent if not profits day 1. FF7 & FF16 both sold 3 million in 1 week on 1 platform & somehow that’s a failure in sales expectations but RE4 that’s on all platform + it’s a shooter sold 2 million in the first month being a massive success then selling 5+ million in the first to second year selling 7 million bout the same as FF7 part 1. I expect both FF7 & FF16 selling easily 5+ million on PS alone which is great for a fantasy hack & slash rpg that has no presence in multiplayer/live service & no presence in cross media.

The bigger issue for Square is FF having no presence in cross media where’s the FF7 anime or the FF16 live action HBO MAX tv show or the FF14 movie? And again outside FF14 which is more niche & catered to asia FF has no presence in any notable multiplayer/live service that allows kids/teens to get into the FF universe w friends whether it’s premium multiplayer or free to play multiplayer experience

I don’t believe Square Enix ever said anything sales not being good. It’s was Xbox, PC, and Nintendo fanboys, along with the shill journalism, misinterpreting, on purpose, what was said.

They said sales were down overall a little for all games. But that included games on Nintendo Switch. Nobody brings that up. It’s all about attacking PS5 exclusives. The HD games segment actually made money. People keep ignoring that.

• brain

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
Well, I assume it wasn't top 50 in any platform. They are almost 40 years old rehashed games that have been published several times.

The collection was definitely in the top 30 at launch on PS4.

But in my opinion that's not particularly relevant, since each part can be bought individually. That's why FF6 was also in the top 20 in the PSN and Switch charts at launch, as many still think it's the best part of the series. The fact that FF6 apparently didn't even make it into the top 50 says a lot in my opinion. This also fits in with the fact that FF14, despite a free and very extensive trial version, has to admit defeat to games like ESO, which isn't even free to play.

The narrative that some people spread, that FF just has to become multiplatform to be successful and that there are so many FF fans on Xbox, has been definitively refuted since FF16 PC and FF Pixel Remaster Xbox port in my opinion. It's more the other way around. FF fans have been hanging out on Playstation and Nintendo systems for generations. Interestingly, the FF series has only really had problems since part 13, the first main part of the multiplatform appeared on PS3 and Xbox 360. Coincidence?

Square Enix should finally understand that it makes little sense to water down the series more and more for the US market. Sega is now bringing better classic JRPGs to the market with Like a Dragon than SE with FF, and Atlus has also had a decent boost since Persona 5, but the Game Pass deal obviously didn't pay off there either and the main buyers are still on Playstation and Switch. It's no wonder that Sega is now (again) porting the Yakuza series to Nintendo platforms, so Like a Dragon is likely to follow with the Switch successor at the latest, putting Square Enix under even more pressure.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

When everything flops "sales don't matter" (unless it's on PlayStation, where it becomes the most important and most talked about metric).

Go tell Ubisoft, Tango or Arkane that sales don't matter 🤡
Buddy, point out to me where I made fun of PlayStation's sales numbers? Stop grouping me in with people you think I belong to, it's weird.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Ironically he was the one saying "best selling games = best games" not so long ago....
You're still on that even when I clarified. Sorry that Helldivers 2 is Sony's fastest selling game of all time and that you don't understand what I meant.