FF XVI has sold equal or better on one platform than RE 4 and SF 6 have managed on multiple platforms. Media and Xbox Fanboys downplaying the success.

Unchained

5 Dec 2022
Final fantasy XVI sold 3 million units in under a week on PS5, and this has been a cause of debate for media and fanboys on social media platforms, with lots of shenanigans going on to downplay the success of this game.

But if we compare these sales numbers to other well known multiplatform games that have released recently, it's not even up for debate that FF XVI has managed to sell almost the same if not better, on just one platform.

-Street Fighter 6, much awaited by xbox community, due to Street Fighter 5 exclusivity, has sold just 2 Million units after One Month on PlayStation, PC and Xbox.

-Now let's have a look at Resident Evil 4 Remake, a much anticipated remake of a beloved legendary game. It managed sell 4 million units in two weeks, on PC, PlayStation and Xbox platforms.

-Dead Island 2, another much awaited sequel in development for a long time, sold 1 million units in first 3 days of its release on PC, PlayStation and Xbox.

-And now, the biggest game that releases yearly, yes I am talking about CoD, managed to sell 4.4 million on both PS4 and PS5

Taking into consideration all these huge multiplatform IPs, how is that Final Fantasy XVI releasing on just PS5, and selling over 3 million units in under one week being considered a flop? Why is the media downplaying the success of Final Fantasy XVI. I understand Xbox fanboys are downplaying the game due to sheer jealousy of it being exclusive to PS5. But why is the media downplaying it, have the media and influencers started pandering to xbox fanboys and xbox executives? Is the media being paid to downplay the success of FF XVI?

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Robert Downey Jr Ok GIF

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
yeah, i honestly don’t see how the XVI numbers are bad unlesss you are only weighing them against Zelda, Hogwarts, and Diablo

Everyone has their own agenda’s though. It feels like people are using physical sales in Japan and UK and trying to build a case out of it as confirmation bias.

Unless its god of war or spider-man (there was concern trolling over Miles Morales initial sales also) this has pretty much happened with all of sonys big exclusives this gen. The fact that theres even such a hyper focus on FFXVI out of all games released this year proves as much.

Notice how no one cared about Jedi Survivors sales, or Dead Space Remake, no one talked about RE4 sales after the first week. Etc.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FF vs SF?
FF vs RE?

Man you guys are going really low this time… the franchises are not even comparable in sales.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
FF vs SF?
FF vs RE?

Man you guys are going really low this time… the franchises are not even comparable in sales.

I mean they are comparable, most final fantasy games don’t sell more than 10 million copies. Why are we now acting like an exclusive FF game was supposed to double the sales of something like a multiplatform remake of Resident Evil 4, a game with a 93 metacritic rating with a huge reputation behind it?

Its really odd.

The only recent Final Fantasy that had explosive sales was XV and it took forever to sell through those shipments

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
In comparison FF XV which is one of the most successful sold 10 million after 6 years and on multiple consoles including even Stadia. Yeah the 3 million just for PS5 is solid.

Of course all this means shit if we don't know the dev budget. Whether or not a game is successful depends on recouping dev costs and profit.

Last edited:

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
FF vs SF?
FF vs RE?

they actually are, they are all japanese million seller titles that have never blown the roof off sales wise. also funny how you conveniently left out the cod comparison.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Its bizarre to me that people still use japanese physical charts to determine how well game is doing in 2023.

Street Fighter 6 just sold an additional million units without charting in the top 10 since it released on there. Imagine if SE hadn’t released the 3 million milestone tweet, people would be saying FF sold a million copies or some dumb shit because its not represented on the physical charts

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Its bizarre to me that people still use japanese physical charts to determine how well game is doing in 2023.

Street Fighter 6 just sold an additional million units without charting in the top 10 since it released on there.
Yeah especially since digital has taken over by a big margin. Digital game sales account generally for more than 75% of sales nowadays and that's low balling it.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah especially since digital has taken over by a big margin. Digital game sales account generally for more than 75% of sales and that's low balling it.

Like, we have entire digital console sku’s, and thats if people can even get them. I haven’t bought physical games in years, never put a disc in my physical edition ps5.

Most people are probably similar at this point. They haven’t expanded on all these subscription games, activity cards and quick resume features to continue having us buy physical. People want to jump in and out of a massive library of games they own on their console.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The media and and twitter personalities are completely biased for Microsoft. Everybody is talking about the disappointing sales as if it was a fact. If the game was multiplat they would be celebrating the exact same number and call it a strong debut.

For them FF16 is the biggest flop since Horizon Forbidden West (and that sold over 8 millions).

I'm curious if they will keep track of Starfield sales the same way. I'm expecting daily concern and weekly sales threads.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah especially since digital has taken over by a big margin. Digital game sales account generally for more than 75% of sales nowadays and that's low balling it.

And to add to that ….

During this fiscal year, 74% of console game sales were digital, which was up from 68% last year.
Strauss was very happy with the performance of Grand Theft Auto V, Grand Theft Auto Online, and Red Dead Redemption 2 and with Zynga’s mobile portfolio. He also talked about how the console’s game sales digitally were up by 3% this quarter. Last quarter it was 75%, but now it is 78%. This upcoming quarter they expect this number to be 79%. Last year during this quarter, it was 77%.

Facts are that unless we start getting charts with full digital sales and sell through in all the big regions we won’t have a clue as to how any game is really performing.