FFVII Rebirth is a far better game than Metaphor Refantazio

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
In almost every single aspect

I'm 40 hours into the game so probably about half way mark and the massive amounts of repetition are really setting in, and the longer I play the more the flaws stand out

I don't need to touch on how Rebirths visuals and audios crush Metaphors PS2 era presentation, that much is obvious

What really bugs me is how little Atlus is progressing in other areas

The world and level design is terrible, Bethesda like loading between every area. Rebirth excels at this as a truly open world while Metaphor is tiny areas. Getting into a dungeon genuinely feels like I've stepped into PS1 designs. Flat corridors that are barely a step above random generation. Other games would get torn apart for yhis

The missions and side missions are becoming more and more of a chore. There is zero gameplay to these, just watching some dialogue boxes. And the dialogue options are meaningless and change nothing in the narrative.

Compared to Rebirth which is giving you new gameplay systems to play with seemingly every half-hour all through the game

In fact Metaphor is full of meaningless systems. The entire royal virtues system does almost nothing so far. I think I've seen two spots where it effects your dialogue

And throughout the game, like Persona, I just can't help but be bugged by how little freedom I have. The game is super curated to barely let you step out of the path laid out. When it does you're really just hitting the quest aspects that they are allowing you to access at that moment

I do like the characters,the setting, the story has some major pacing issues but that's not new for Atlus. But FFVII is one of one when it comes to setting and story in JRPGs

I also enjoy the combat but it has some big issues IMO in terms of the reliance on the synthesis system the more I am playing. This requires you to be levelling archetypes in particular combinations that may not be how you want to play and there are way too many instances where archetypes don't synthesise with eachother and therefore you need to spend time 4 layers deep in the convoluted menu trying to figure out if your party pairs up well together

FFVII Rebirth is a massive step in the right direction for Square Enix. For Metaphor I can't help but feel Atlus is not evolving. A big new IP that feels like they started making it in 2004 and I'm shocked how few reviewers are being honest about this

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'm still more excited about Persona 6 because I think they went in the wrong direction with the FF7 Remake, both story and gameplay.

That being said I don't get the hype surround Metaphor other than it's essentially a Persona game for people who didn't like the high school setting.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
The dementors. Changing the events. Chadley. Turning FF7 into an action RPG.
I think that the edits to the story needed to be done, as it's really the only way to split the story of the first across three games. If they did an actual remake, which I'm not saying they shouldn't have, it would've only been a single game worth of content.

Given it's not really a remake, I think it's fine for them to change up the gameplay. The ATB turn based combat from 1997 will continue to live on in its original game, and the FFVII Remake introduces a rather eloquent re-imagining of ATB in a more action focused combat setting.

As for Chadley... well... my feelings for him are more along the lines of apathy than hate. :)

ghostwriter74

27 Jun 2023
I see it the other way round. Of course you can pick out points that make Rebirth better. Logically, the graphics are better there, for example, but it would be funny if the game looked worse with a higher budget.

Rebirth's weakness lies in the open world, which isn't just filled with the same old rubbish. No, even if I want to make progress in the story, this nonsense hinders me by slowing down the pacing, like Chocobos finding routes or finding the right way to the goal. The worst thing, in my opinion, is Rebirth's absolutely chaotic combat system. I found that difficult to get used to in Remake, but at some point it clicked. With Rebirth, I paused it after the Golden Saucer because I found it simply boring and unsatisfying.

And that's where Atlus has the edge. The levels and dungeons are structured and offer some subtle puzzles, everything I do in the world has weight and leads to rewards, and the combat system is, in my opinion, far better. For me it doesn't come close to Persona 5, whose setting and story I liked better, but it's still pretty good.

I can't really understand the Metacritic score for either of them, for me neither of them are games that I would give a 90+. With Metaphor, they completely messed up the New Game + imo and compared to Persona 5 the story is predictable and the bosses are rather boring. As always, it's all subjective and a matter of taste. I was looking forward to Rebirth and it's currently the disappointment of the year, Metaphor didn't interest me at all because of the art design and thanks to the demo I bought it anyway and was pleasantly surprised.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I can't really understand the Metacritic score for either of them, for me neither of them are games that I would give a 90+.
This is actually an interesting point I'd like to dive into. I feel like we've seen a lot of games breaking 90+ on Metacritic in the past few years.

Do you feel those reviews are an accurate representation of game quality, or are reviewers leaning more generous with their scores on aggregate?

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I know people love this persona stuff but I don't get it.
It's 700000 hours of reading.

That said, rebirth is not perfect. It does have a ton of bloat that doesn't need to be there.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I think at that level its just what you prefer.

Story, characters are probably subjective. Even combat I guess.

FF7R for me but Ive only played the demo for the other game. The combat just wont beat FF7R for me. And the cast is one of my favourites but Im sure Ill enjoy Metaphor the more Ill play it. But to beat FF7R cast and squares effort into it, it will be hard

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I don't play a game to read a book
But what if it's a visual novel, where you also get key art of moe moe waifus to break up the text every few chapters? Or are you more of a hold CTRL and roll the dice on choices, hoping to stumble into the preferred route by luck kind of person?

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
what do these games have to do with each other
Hey guys Nier Replicant is a significantly better game than Atelier Sophie
Kingdom Hearts II is a better game than Pokemon Platinum

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko