Final Fantasy 16 final hands on previews are coming out

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
The last previews for Final Fantasy 16 come out today. They cover the first 10 hours of the game.

May have some potential spoilers:

• It's mostly the opening but with some parts later in the game without context for exploration and combat
  • There's an air of confidence around the game, it feels finished compared to the messy previews of FF15 they had to play back then
  • The game is brutal, this is not a wholesome Final Fantasy, there are moments of genuine character warmth and humanity but FF16 is a bonafide dark fantasy game
  • Some question the identity of Final Fantasy in this one but everyone came out positive, they expect a backlash from fans but say it's still Final Fantasy at its soul.
  • Combat is extremely good and the DMC battle director really pays off, one had some issues in that they felt their combat kit wasn't big enough for the early-game preview.
  • Excellent VA and performance all around.
  • Eikon battles apparently feels bigger and more explosive than ever god of war
  • They all say that the opening hours deliver and they can attest that this part is solid

Blogposts:

Last edited:

avenovah

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
I thoroughly enjoyed the time with Final Fantasy XVI that I did have. I was actually supposed to leave about 45 minutes earlier, but was so absorbed that I lost track of time. Everything I played, from the story to the world, gameplay, voice acting, visuals, and so on, felt extremely well polished and detailed. There is really little else left to say other than, at least in its opening few hours, Final Fantasy XVI delivers, and I cannot wait to experience the full game come June.
90+ on Metacritic, I can feel it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That combat.

You Look Good Reaction GIF by Bounce

• fire
Reactions: Sircaw and arvfab

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Even the battle system not catering me I think Square Enix is doing everything right with this FF (leassons learned with FFXIII?).
It is the first original non-MMO mainline FF since FFXIII in 2009 (FFXV is a FFXIII spin-off rebranded as mainline).

I'm day one already but it seems they have a champ here.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Im eating this day one
Same bro, this is the first Final Fantasy game I will be ever playing, I've tried to play the other ones but they didn't captivate me like this one will do. It looks different and looks like a game I would sit there and play.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Same bro, this is the first Final Fantasy game I will be ever playing, I've tried to play the other ones but they didn't captivate me like this one will do. It looks different and looks like a game I would sit there and play.
You didn't like 7 remake?

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Wondering if I should watch these or continue to go in cold.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It’s amusing and annoying since some subset of people trying to shit on this game… and it’s pretty sus.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Huge FF fan but unfortunately after FF13 and FF15 my hopes weren’t too high for this game ( Not including FF7R cause it was a remake of an already great game).

These previews have changed my view. It’s looking really promising.

Still would have preferred the FF7 remake battle system. Not a fan of button bashing battle systems.

Only other issue I have is the focus on just one character.