Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth did not meet sale expectations says Square Enix

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Of course resetera is having a field day with this misinformation.

I never seen a group of people so happy to want a game to fail. It’s always with PS games.
Already 11 pages in a few hours and there were dozens similar threads in the last year. They never get tired of blaming exclusivity and PlayStation.

@TrishaCat is going to pretend this is all normal and it's not a hit piece 🙄

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Already 11 pages in a few hours and there were dozens similar threads in the last year. They never get tired of blaming exclusivity and PlayStation.

I don't really know what you're trying to say I think is normal or not but Square has a long history of having absurd sales expectations

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Well let's not be hypocrites and admit that is pretty similar to people here being happy when a game on PC bombs.

It’s not.

It’s a fact PS games barely do anything on PC. We are just calling that out because all that money and time could of went into PS5 where Sony makes all of its video game revenue. Wasting time with PC ports and GAAS takes away from the console. We just want Sony go back to making PlayStation the main focus and giving us games like it has been doing sine the PS3.

These green rat, PC and Nintendo trolls are hating on PS games just because they’re mad they’re exclusive. They have no other valid reason other than they hate Sony and are jealous PS is the market leader, has games, and gets 3rd party exclusives.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023

I mean, if you're seeing downward sales and are not happy with that as a publisher there's only two options.
You need to put forth products that more people want, or have to reach a bigger audience(releasing elsewhere).
Both recent FFs had good(XVI) to awesome(FF7P2) review scores and yet it's still trending downwards compared to recent past entries even with a certain amount of objective measure of quality saying that they're good products to great products.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

The post in that thread are so sad. They never get tired of saying the same thing over and over. It’s not going to bring games to your platform.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I do think Square is on the inevitable trajectory of becoming a subsidiary of a larger company. The question is WHO?
- Chinese companies are apparently pulling out of investing in japan and theyve never outright bought an entire publisher.

- Microsoft is currently a mess with all the money theyve spent and upper management seemingly unhappy with the division. All layoffs after promising not to, might be too hard to get through with regulators. Not to mention the cultural divide and closing Tango games is a black eye in the region.

-Saudis? Maybe but it think itd be a huge risk for them and IDK why SE would want to sell to them without any prior relationship.

-Sony makes the most sense but sony just set 4 billion dollars on fire with the bungie acquisition and have wasted ALOT of money trying to get the whole GAAS service iniative off the ground, without much success. IDK how willing theyd be to spend billions more after all that (Thanks Jim Ryan!)

Disney- Disney said they want to invest in gaming and have the relationship thanks to kingdom hearts.

-Some random Japanese investment firm? Probably the most likely.

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
I do think Square is on the inevitable trajectory of becoming a subsidiary of a larger company. The question is WHO?
- Chinese companies are apparently pulling out of investing in japan and theyve never outright bought an entire publisher.

- Microsoft is currently a mess with all the money theyve spent and upper management seemingly unhappy with the division. All layoffs after promising not to, might be too hard to get through with regulators. Not to mention the cultural divide and closing Tango games is a black eye in the region.

-Saudis? Maybe but it think itd be a huge risk for them and IDK why SE would want to sell to them without any prior relationship.

-Sony makes the most sense but sony just set 4 billion dollars on fire with the bungie acquisition and have wasted ALOT of money trying to get the whole GAAS service iniative off the ground, without much success. IDK how willing theyd be to spend billions more after all that (Thanks Jim Ryan!)

Disney- Disney said they want to invest in gaming and have the relationship thanks to kingdom hearts.

-Some random Japanese investment firm? Probably the most likely.
Maybe a merger with another jp publisher

Reactions: Dabaus

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Again: no one should ever buy Square Enix, and Square should never sell itself
Square Enix is one of the best game developers in the world. Anyone owning them would make their games worse

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
They said they failed to meet profitablity expecations DESPITE VIIR and XVI releases. In no way does this report state that they didn't meet sales expectations.

We can't keep dragging SE down when they dropped 2 GOTY tier games in rapid succession... Gamers really choose the wrong publishers to bully lol, this does nothing but make their brand seem weaker.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
They said they failed to meet profitablity expecations DESPITE VIIR and XVI releases. In no way does this report state that they didn't meet sales expectations.

We can't keep dragging SE down when they dropped 2 GOTY tier games in rapid succession... Gamers really choose the wrong publishers to bully lol, this does nothing but make their brand seem weaker.

Yeah. Thread titled is misleading.

• brain
Reactions: Ezekiel

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
It’s not.

It’s a fact PS games barely do anything on PC. We are just calling that out because all that money and time could of went into PS5 where Sony makes all of its video game revenue. Wasting time with PC ports and GAAS takes away from the console. We just want Sony go back to making PlayStation the main focus and giving us games like it has been doing sine the PS3.

These green rat, PC and Nintendo trolls are hating on PS games just because they’re mad they’re exclusive. They have no other valid reason other than they hate Sony and are jealous PS is the market leader, has games, and gets 3rd party exclusives.

You are changing subject now. You said "I never seen people so happy to see a game fail on X platform" and I just pointed out that is exactly the same here. Lets not pretend otherwise.

I do agree that pc ports are a bad idea and I wish ps games remained exclusives, I just think it was hypocrite to said that considering that like 70% of this forum main page threads right now are people being happy about pc sales declining and games port bombing.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
ff16.png

Clive bros?? Not like this...

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
You are changing subject now. You said "I never seen people so happy to see a game fail on X platform" and I just pointed out that is exactly the same here. Lets not pretend otherwise.

I do agree that pc ports are a bad idea and I wish ps games remained exclusives, I just think it was hypocrite to said that considering that like 70% of this forum main page threads right now are people being happy about pc sales declining and games port bombing.

I didn’t change any subject.

You are trying too hard to pin blame and “Sony fans too” a hate train against PlayStation.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Not selling as much as Remake could be many reasons that has nothing to do with the story or the way they remade the game.

It being a trilogy could have caused many people to wait until the story is complete and all games are available.

Rebirth launching only months later after FF16 probably affected sales. Playing FF16 for over 80 hours then another 100 hour JRPG would be too much for some people.

No more Remake hype? The announcement of the game caused so much frenzy with the fanbase. We’ve been asking for remaster/remake for years. A remastered Midgar was enough to market and sell the game by itself. All that new hype is sort of gone with Rebirth. Which again would translate to lower sales.

The last part of the trilogy might be able to renew all that hype of Remake with it being the grand finale of the FF7 series. Tetsuya Nomura said he wants to get the games over and done with, so part 3 will be the last we see of anything FF7 related for a long while.

Rebirth was never going to sell more copies than Remake... That sets your highest possible market and yes people were torn.

Summer Nightmares

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2023
I didn’t change any subject.

You are trying too hard to pin blame and “Sony fans too” a hate train against PlayStation.

Im a Playstation fan myself. Stop being so paranoid and took of you platform war glasses.

"Having a field day when other platform fails" is the bread and butter of this forum. 90% of us are Playstation users, the only two exceptions that post regularly are Dr Bass who is pretty neutral and Systemshock who is a pc guy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
FF lost its mojo once graphics got more detailed and characters started having voice acting (around X). Then everyone could see how ridiculous the character designs were and how cringe worthy their dialogue and reactions.

With the older games, your imagination filled in the gaps.

Square has to finish VII trilogy and: port their back catalog to switch 2 mainly. Then design all figure games around switch 2 and have multiplatform releases day one.

And above all, hire better writers.
Nintendo is no longer the home of Final Fantasy. They lost it to PlayStation, quite decisively and publicly. You'll take your sloppy PS5 seconds and you'll thank Square for them

Reactions: Dabaus

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Nintendo is no longer the home of Final Fantasy. They lost it to PlayStation, quite decisively and publicly. You'll take your sloppy PS5 seconds and you'll thank Square for them
Final Fantasy games you can buy on Switch: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XV: Pocket Edition, World of Final Fantasy, Crystal Chronicles, Crisis Core, Chocobo GP, Chocobo's Dungeon Everybuddy, and Theaterrhythm Final Bar Line
The home of Final Fantasy is every modern platform because almost every final fantasy game is on almost every modern system
Square Enix is a 3rd party company. They are not beholden to Sony. Microsoft, or Nintendo, nor are they beholden to the PC platform. They release everything everywhere they feel they can reasonably do so whilst expecting a profit