First PS5 Pro Previews are coming up

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I 100% agree.

It's hard to message that out with just the video clips..

It is not just hard but basically impossible to sell framerate increase with internet videos and images.
You need to make consumers believe in your words and let them experience themselves at home.

So good word of mouth is crucial to sell experience that can't be showed in videos / pictures.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Custom block in the GPU for PSSR. That thing will not work on the base PS5, as some people were expecting.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Pretty glowing all-round.

I'm gonna get this thing. At launch or soon after. Just a little pricier in Europe than I thought it would be.
these media people have amnesia, first, they milked it to death about how bad PS5 Pro is and that you should get a PC, but now, it is sunshine and rainbows?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Man, i can't wait for this thing. Playing Ghost 2 on the Pro will be glorious. I really hope we get a Cyberpunk RT update at some point.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Custom block in the GPU for PSSR. That thing will not work on the base PS5, as some people were expecting.
Is it not due "Sparse WMMA with int-8 instructions" from the future RDNA 4 that was added to PS5 Pro's GPU?
I think it was clear that PS5 could not do it.

PS. nVidia GPUs have similar feature too in Tensor RT... and it is how they do DLSS (Alex from DF also said Int8 is used for DLSS.).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Maybe one of the most impressive changes to me.

F1 24:
PSSR 4K@60fps quality mode with multiple RT effects (DDGI, RTAO, RT transparency and RT opaque reflections). In the right circumstances, this is an almost generational leap in image quality
PSSR 4K@120fps mode without RT.
PSSR 8K@60fps mode without RT (Replays are 8K 30fps with all RT features).

The 3 modes, specifically the PSSR 4K@60 and PSSR 8K@60, seems to be really well done.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
They really put Destin of all people to make the preview? 🤦‍♂️

IGN people who can go on camera aren't many, besides it would all be the same thing.
DF people(Oliver in this case) says things, talking head goes "WoW/Uh, that's interesting" x100.

I really dislike the "talk show" format where one person has no knowledge and basically acts like they're a reflection of the uninformed audience.

At least now we've got the DF video, time to go watch while I eat lunch.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Blogposts:

Videos:

Summary:
  • F1 24:
    4K60 quality mode with added RT effects, "in the right circumstances...an almost generational leap"
    4K120 performance mode.
    8K60 mode, that does 8K30+RT for replays while not even using PSSR.
  • Gran Turismo 7: Adds 2 modes.
    PSSR upscaled 4K60+RT mode (replays are also 60fps now)
    PSSR upscaled 4K/8K without RT, depending on your screen. Sharper, but most people will probably go for 4K60+RT or the existing 120 mode, which will likely have higher average framerates vs base PS5.
  • Horizon Forbidden West: using new anti-aliasing technique, not PSSR. Both new modes have improved lighting, effects, and skin/hair rendering.
    New 60fps performance mode looks better than base PS5 quality mode.
    New quality mode is native 4K most of the time.
  • Hogwarts: 3 modes.
    Fidelity RT mode using PSSR at 30fps, adds new RT effects plus higher res.
    Standard fidelity mode, even higher res without RT.
    Performance mode is 60fps with most settings from base PS5's fidelity mode.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart + Spider-Man 2:
    Performance Pro mode using PSSR is basically base PS5's quality mode at 60.
    Other fidelity modes from base PS5 weren't shown, but should also be upgraded, maybe with RT shadows.
  • The Last of Us Part 2:
    Seems like it had the least footage shown. The new PS5 Pro mode is basically the base PS5 fidelity mode at 60fps, but with the option of still using the old modes, probably just to more easily check differences.
  • FF7 Rebirth:
    Only one combined mode now, 4K60 using base PS5's quality mode settings plus PSSR. Base PS5's quality mode looks worse than new Pro performance mode, difference is "almost night and day." LOD pop in could still use addressing though.
  • The Crew Motorfest:
    One combined mode, 4K60 using PSSR, "way more detail" than base PS5's performance mode.
  • Demon's Souls:
    One combined mode, 4K60 with new contact shadow system; base PS5 modes are still selectable.
  • Dragon's Dogma 2: same visuals as base PS5 but at 4K with PSSR, with higher framerates in the 50s when base PS5 would be 30s-40s, which will make VRR useful.

Yes, great upgrade. Worth every penny

Last edited: