First PS5 Pro Previews are coming up

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FF7 Rebirth:
Only one combined mode now, 4K60 using base PS5's quality mode settings plus PSSR. Base PS5's quality mode looks worse than new Pro performance mode, difference is "almost night and day." LOD pop in could still use addressing though.
Just a minor fix here... they said the Base PS5's quality mode looks a bit worst to new Pro Performance mode (they are very close to each other to be fair)... they used the word "basic upgrade".
But the 30fps to 60fps change makes it "almost night and day".

Reactions: Plextorage

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
It was clear early on that the PS5 Pro was going to be the most power console in history. It was also clear that it was going to be $ for $ the best modern gaming device that you can buy, with a clear value advantage over PC.

It makes the PS5 look like the XSS compared to the XSX.

The biggest question mark was always going to be PSSR which looks like it largely delivers here even in its first release rendition.

This will sell out on pre-order day and the narrative will continue to shift from is it worth it to what it looks like to not have it.

Every game that releases, the difference will be highlighted.

When Microsoft releases games on PS5 and they play better on PS5 Pro, they're going to have a massive PR issue. The only way against this is locked frame rates and locked resolution below what the PS5 Pro is capable of. It'll be interesting to see how the PS5 Pro mandate is enforced and if all games need to have an uncapped frame rate mode available.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
The Destins and Ryan McCafferys and the Tom Warrens of gaming journalism are in a pickle making a case against the PS5 Pro.

There is no case to be made.

The console "sounds expensive". The XSX is expensive compared to the XSS. The question is where is the value.

Is it worth trading your base console in for better experiences for the next 4 years and a better trade in value in 4 years?

Is it worth spending the extra 250 dollars if you're upgrading from a previous generation console or a PC that isn't holding up?

The answer for a lot of people is going to be yes and we should have just seen what the market for this was without campaigns against it for the sake of preserving console wars or the balance between PC and consoles.

The PS5 Pro is good for gaming and the tech and software that Sony is investing in here will pay dividends in the PS handheld and the PS6... which very well might be the only traditional home console pushing the market in 4 years, you better hope they put as much tech in it as they can afford to, rather than limping into next-gen like the PS4 and X1 did.

Also will be very interesting to hear people's thoughts on price when the Switch 2 is revealed... and its 400+ dollars but powered around the Series S.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Such an amazing upgrade for such a moderate bump in specs. I’m in even at $699

So many wanted to put forth a false narrative about the lack of CPU increase when they knew full well that most games are not CPU constrained, but GPU constrained.

Cerny is a data oriented analyst. Exactly the type of person we should also push to be like.

They had a plan for the PS5 Pro before the PS5 launched, but they got metrics hard and soft from players and developers. They saw what percentage of players used performance mode instead of fidelity mode, they heard developers ask for more RT options, they analyzed the resolution bottlenecks of existing games and designed PSSR and calculated how much of a GPU boost they needed to hit desired benchmarks...

Jesus...

This is all on top of the core design philosophy of the PS5 which was to limit bottlenecks in components.

If I'm on the marketing team, I want to be able to say 50% more rendering power on the GPu rather than 45%

But as an engineer, does a 5% increase in GPU result in a tangible improvement in output delivery on games? How much more expensive is that 5% increase going to be in terms of not only financial burden to the unit but also power draw...

That 45% told me a lot about the history and capability of the PS5 Pro before anything was officially announced. It told me they knew exactly what they were doing.

It's also why I could clearly see that the PS5 Pro was going to drop for 700 dollars and when it sells it is going to validate a lot of people in sony's engineering departments and give them clout for the future on making decisions.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Most people have covered the PSSR and the general uplift. One of the more interesting parts of the whole Richard/Oliver DF video was that Guerilla has their own(bespoke, I said the meme word!)new solution that is much better than their previous approach and it is miles better. Can also count on the Decima Engine bros to cook some more.

Insomniac's core tech guy said that PSSR is still changing, which is not surprising. New tech like this gets fiddled with right up to the launch. I concur with Oliver and Richard that PlayStation probably won't do auto updates for subsequent upgrade(s) to PSSR because it could break titles.

But if we keep seeing upgrades to the technology over the years, it could bode well for a big refresh with the PS6. These type of upscaling and other software related solutions are the future when it comes to rendering. We're not seeing prices go down in tech and node upgrades are getting less impactful gen on gen.
Something has to come up and help with managing price/performance.

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
ZvUHeVm.png

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Was really hoping that Cyberpunk would have gotten enchanced too.
Yeah I picked up the complete edition on sale, it's still in shrinkwrap for the Pro. Normally CD Projekt does a good job enhancing their games with better hardware..
There are still 5 games missing on the list, but like others mentioned Helldivers 2, FF16, Wukong need one. I would add Returnal, that could benefit off higher res with ray tracing and a bit of the spotlight.

Reactions: Luffy123

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

The ‘Enhanced’ label first made its introduction into the PlayStation ecosystem following the release of the PlayStation 4 Pro, which meant that the game utilized the Pro console’s improved hardware to offer improved frame rates and resolutions. For the PS5 Pro PlayStation wants games to offer a PS5 Pro-exclusive graphics mode that will combine:
  • PSSR to upscale resolution to 4K
  • A constant 60FPS
  • Add or increase ray tracing effects

Reactions: Entropi

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I love your posts, always sharing data objectively. Big props, keep doing it :)

Regarding the list, I'd love to see there Street Fighter 6 even if it's just to improve the jagged hair and shadows in the versus screen and put the World Tour mode at steady 60fps at all times.

Reactions: Evilms