Flop! Metaphor: ReFantazio debuts at number 37 on Xbox (Atlus 35th Digital Anniversary Edition at number 555).

Do you think it was worth it for Atlus to alienate their main customers for a Xbox deal?

• Total voters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
***Update: flopping in the UK too, debuts at number 7 - Can you imagine the reaction if FF16 or FF7R had debuted at number 7? 😬

Many things were said about the draconian marketing deal Xbox had for Metaphor. It was forbidden for Atlus to put the PS version in any marketing material (trailers, YouTube, twitter). They even had actors hiding the PS logo at TGS.

If you wanna see the lengths at which Xbox goes to completely hide the fact this game is coming to PS5 look no further than this image.
Xbox console front and center and they made sure to angle the camera man juuuuuust right to use one of the cosplayers to hide the PS5 logo in the background while showing all the other platforms in their entirety.
GTlcUCca8AA3j7x

A lot of people were confused if the game was even coming to PlayStation at all or it was full Xbox exclusive.

Well, it finally came out to incredible reviews...but it only managed to debut at 37 on Xbox. The deluxe edition "Atlus 35th Digital Anniversary Edition" is at number 555 on page 7.

To give you an idea how bad this is. Fear 3 on Xbox 360 is at number 11, Predator Hunting Grounds at number 13, Stray at 28 😬

Do you think it was worth it for Atlus to alienate their main customers for a Xbox deal? Please vote.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
So because of Xbox marketing deals we are attempting to downplay the succsss of Metaphor’s launch? Xbox only sells gamepass; if that.

🤣
Exactly… I’m not really understanding the issue.
Who cares about how Xbox sells lol
Nobody ever expected the game to sell there… Sega was just happy with MS paying the marketing.
Of course the two muchachos that were in all the FF sales threads suddenly don't want to talk about Metaphor sales. Why the sudden lost of interest?

You were tracking every chart, every country, every news about FF and discussing at length for months but now these Xbox sales don't matter?

No one was alienated, stop being salty because Atlus is successful while the game in your avatar is a joke.
Who's salty? I can play it on PS5 just fine while you can't play it on your cheap Switch.

Your tablet toy would burst into flames at the FF16 intro 😂

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Of course the two muchachos that were in all the FF sales threads suddenly don't want to talk about Metaphor sales. Why the sudden lost of interest?

You were tracking every chart, every country, every news about FF and discussing at length for months but now these Xbox sales don't matter?
The opposite… I’m pretty much talking how Metaphor sales were good.

I’m not sure why the bad sales of FF had to do with it lol

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
The problem with metaphor or any of its reskinned clones is they are going to hit the 2-3 million copies sold that every great jrpg gets, FF was the one that could break through and hit 5-8 million milestone which is still very less compared to other blockbusters. The best selling persona game released across 3 generations and 3 different platforms to hit 7 million.

Jrpg's have a sales ceiling unless they adopt some form of emergent gameplay and exploration systems, Anyways metaphor itself seems to be not doing so hot as it has not hit the top 10 on PSN in the states. This is why that 1 million message atlus posted 24 hrs after launch is meaningless as its shipped instead of sell through.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Game isn't a flop just because it's not selling on Xbox
And no i was not alienated by its xbox release. I like it when a game is more widely available
I will admit I haven't bought the game yet however; far too expensive for me in my current financial state. I do intend to someday though; game looks rad

Not voting in the op though; tis a loaded question.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
2 Jun 2024
atlus probably just taking the money now from Microsoft at this point and getting sales done along the way is just another plus for them PlayStation and Nintendo will always be seen as the jrpg machines along with their steam sales gamepass is practically the only thing keeping Microsoft afloat at this point as well hardware sales are in the toilet

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
How did Xbox alienate their main customers when the game is selling really well in PC and PS?

You are really underrating the average PS fan base IQ if you believe they can't do a 5 second check on the platforms this game is releasing.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The only joke here is Microsoft paying for the marketing without having any return back in sales.

Sega ja probably pretty happy with MS paying the marketing and the sales of the actual user base on PS.

I have no ideia where that “alienate” come…
The main customer are buying the game.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This game is fucking fantastic…. that said we all knew it was dumb for ATLUS to brand their game around a console none of their fans play on. But I digress, at least it wasn’t an exclusive and I hope PS players still buy in droves