Flop! Metaphor: ReFantazio debuts at number 37 on Xbox (Atlus 35th Digital Anniversary Edition at number 555).

Do you think it was worth it for Atlus to alienate their main customers for a Xbox deal?

• Total voters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This forum is littered with fanboys with bad takes.

No one was alienated because they marketed with Xbox. The game came out on all devices (except Switch, and I'm expecting a Switch 2 port).

I don't know why childish takes like this reign supreme and it's mostly from foreigners.

Atlus needed a marketing partner and Sony probably didn't want to pay for marketing the game. Why? Because it was never going to be a needle mover for PlayStation.

I'm begging you guys to grow up. This is simple business and it seems like everyone did what was in their best interest here. Atlus, Microsoft, and Sony.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

No one was alienated because they marketed with Xbox. The game came out on all devices (except Switch, and I'm expecting a Switch 2 port).

I don't know why childish takes like this reign supreme and it's mostly from foreigners.

Atlus needed a marketing partner and Sony probably didn't want to pay for marketing the game. Why? Because it was never going to be a needle mover for PlayStation.

I'm begging you guys to grow up. This is simple business and it seems like everyone did what was in their best interest here. Atlus, Microsoft, and Sony.
I agree with half of what you said.
Nobody is being alienated after all the fan base is buying it no matter who marketed it.

But at the same time I don’t think Microsoft, Xbox and Xbots on twitter got what they wished or expected 🤷🏻‍♂️

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024

Bruh you have dumb takes like the gran turismo movie boosting sales of GT8 more than a year down the line, If there was list of clown takes to be made you would be the proud owner of the top 5 spots

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
But at the same time I don’t think Microsoft, Xbox and Xbots on twitter got what they wished or expected 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is still a fanboy response and its also a results oriented response.

First, Xbox fanboys on twitter are not the ones who made the deal with Atlus for marketing.

Second, you have no idea what Microsoft expected from this deal or what the deal even was.

Microsoft's deal with Atlus could have been a package deal that included the Persona games going to GamePass.

You're looking at this from a results oriented approach which is mistaken and short sighted.

Long term results are achieved through process oriented approaches. Long term Microsoft wants to be able to sell GamePass in Japan. They want to be associated with popular RPG franchises. That's why they're working with Atlus and it is why they visited Square Enix. That doesn't mean their goal here is to sell more Xboxes in Japan. It's clear they want a piece of the Japanese PC market gains, which is in line with GamePass being cheaper on PC.

Does that mean this will be successful? No, not necessarily, but it's naive to say Xbox isn't getting what they intended here, when you have no idea what their intentions are. I'm confident no one thought this game was going to be a huge seller on Xbox a month ago.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
This is still a fanboy response and its also a results oriented response.

First, Xbox fanboys on twitter are not the ones who made the deal with Atlus for marketing.

Second, you have no idea what Microsoft expected from this deal or what the deal even was.

Microsoft's deal with Atlus could have been a package deal that included the Persona games going to GamePass.

You're looking at this from a results oriented approach which is mistaken and short sighted.

Long term results are achieved through process oriented approaches. Long term Microsoft wants to be able to sell GamePass in Japan. They want to be associated with popular RPG franchises. That's why they're working with Atlus and it is why they visited Square Enix. That doesn't mean their goal here is to sell more Xboxes in Japan. It's clear they want a piece of the Japanese PC market gains, which is in line with GamePass being cheaper on PC.

Does that mean this will be successful? No, not necessarily, but it's naive to say Xbox isn't getting what they intended here, when you have no idea what their intentions are. I'm confident no one thought this game was going to be a huge seller on Xbox a month ago.
And you call my response a fanboy one 😂😂😂

There is no way a company approve a marketing deal without expected nothing in return… imagine seeing the return in the competition platform lol

It is like Xbox fanboys commemorating the 1 million shipment like it was MS marketing that made it…

Last edited:

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
And you call my response a fanboy one 😂😂😂

There is no way a company approve a marketing deal without expected nothing in return… imagine seeing the return in the competition platform lol

It is like Xbox fanboys commemorating the 1 million shipment because MS marketed the the game…

Yes, and this response augments that.

Where did I say they expected nothing in return? No, I presented alternate expectations that you seemingly ignored, because it doesn't fit into your dichotomy of the console wars.

Microsoft is actively pushing cloud gaming via FireStick. They're actively pushing PC GamePass as cheaper than console GamePass, but you're CONVINCED this marketing deal was about moving more Xbox console units.

Why wasn't the game on GamePass? Why wasn't it an Xbox exclusive?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes, and this response augments that.

Where did I say they expected nothing in return? No, I presented alternate expectations that you seemingly ignored, because it doesn't fit into your dichotomy of the console wars.

Microsoft is actively pushing cloud gaming via FireStick. They're actively pushing PC GamePass as cheaper than console GamePass, but you're CONVINCED this marketing deal was about moving more Xbox console units.
A marketing deal not related to Gamepass in any way is not about selling more units on Xbox…

Each thing you read these days lol

Why wasn't the game on GamePass? Why wasn't it an Xbox exclusive?
Let me guess…

Because it is a MARKETING deal and not a GAMEPASS or EXCLUSIVITY deal?

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
A marketing deal not related to Gamepass in any way is not about selling more units on Xbox…

Each thing you read these days lol

Like I said above. This deal might have been built into the deal that brought Persona to GamePass. Are you confident that this game won't come to GamePass in the near future?

What do you think the goal of a marketing deal is?

• Convince people who currently own a PS5 or PS4 to buy this game on Xbox Series instead of on PS4/PS5?
    • On that note, why do you think this came out for PS4 but not Xbox One?
  • Convince people who don't own a console to buy this on Xbox Series?
  • Convince people who currently own an Xbox Series to buy this game on Xbox Series?
  • Convince people that Microsoft is a brand with more than just western games.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Let me guess…

Because it is a MARKETING deal and not a GAMEPASS or EXCLUSIVITY deal?

LOL... you're not good at this.

I ask you why something is the way it is and your response is that it's because it is what it is.

I can speculate why this isn't a exclusivity deal or gamepass day 1 deal.

Microsoft didn't want to spend more money on an unproven property. They were willing to market the game to associate itself with Atlus, but they would have had to pay considerable money for GamePass and exclusivity even timed exclusivity and the result likely wouldn't have changed, if anything it would have been worse for them because the game would have bombed.

They were willing to pay for Persona 3R, 4G, and 5R to come to GamePass. Why? Because those games had already sold sufficiently on other devices. The cost for GamePass was diminished.

I doubt we see Persona 6 on GamePass Day 1 either.

What will be interesting to see is if Persona 6 has a marketing deal with Xbox or if Sony ponies up for that no pun intended.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
LOL... you're not good at this.

I ask you why something is the way it is and your response is that it's because it is what it is.

I can speculate why this isn't a exclusivity deal or gamepass day 1 deal.

Microsoft didn't want to spend more money on an unproven property. They were willing to market the game to associate itself with Atlus, but they would have had to pay considerable money for GamePass and exclusivity even timed exclusivity and the result likely wouldn't have changed, if anything it would have been worse for them because the game would have bombed.

They were willing to pay for Persona 3R, 4G, and 5R to come to GamePass. Why? Because those games had already sold sufficiently on other devices. The cost for GamePass was diminished.

I doubt we see Persona 6 on GamePass Day 1 either.

What will be interesting to see is if Persona 6 has a marketing deal with Xbox or if Sony ponies up for that no pun intended.
So they choose to make a marketing deal to make gamers to buy Atlus games on Xbox like I said? But that it didn’t worked at all.

The game is having record sales on PS and Steam.
But hey let’s be honest here…
Thanks Xbox team doe marketing the game for PS5 and PC.

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Good me too. And as you can see I experienced that piece of shit first hand.
ZQesibs.jpeg

Lol dunno how you can call that game a piece of shit, reviewed pretty well and better than the last few FF

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
So they choose to make a marketing deal to make gamers to buy Atlus games on Xbox like I said? But that it didn’t worked at all.

The game is having record sales on PS and Steam.
But hey let’s be honest here…
Thanks Xbox team doe marketing the game for PS5 and PC.

It’s a failed strategy trying to reach the Xbox audience with these games.

Let’s look at the facts, it’s basically a 50/50 split between Series S and Series X in their strongest market, which means half their userbase is so money conscious they are willing to stick with the S. Then you add gamepass on top.

Bet the vast majority of the Xbox users who were so excited about Metaphor after they saw the trailer and the Xbox branding thought it was a gamepass release.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
288 to 1 seems pretty embarrassing to me
Yeah but then there's playing the game on your own and formulating your own unique opinion. The media zeitgeist doesn't make BG3 any better than FFXVI (I love them both)

this sheep ass mentality is the killer of creativity i swear.