Forced PC crossplay with Consoles has ruined online gaming

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Cross play is good. I don't agree that Keyboard+Mouse is guaranteed better than Gamepad. Many PC players complain about console players having an unfair advantage with aim assist. Imo it's completely reasonable to default to cross-play with an option to disable it. All the (unfortunately too few) cross-play games I've seen do this, and I don't see a downside.

Competition in games is secondary to having fun with games. It's more fun to have a thriving community and including all your friends, which cross-play facilitates. I wanted to play Remnant 2 this year, but I didn't wind up buying it (on Steam) because the people I'd play with are on other platforms.

By the way, I overwhelmingly prefer to use a Gamepad on PC, including for most online shooters. PC does not imply KB+M.

D

Deleted member 223

Mouse and keyboard doesn't make you more skilled, just provides more precision. That can be balanced however.

I do agree that cheating however is a massive problem, and it comes in a variety of ways.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Mouse and keyboard doesn't make you more skilled, just provided more precision.

Mk&b is almost cheating. Turning speeds, recoil control, pin point accuracy. More skill my balls. No they shouldn’t ever really be matched against controller even with whatever sandbox tuning a dev does to balance it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
That is weird take because since ever Steam survey shows most PC players uses controller instead M/KB… so PC UI had to adapt themselves.

In the past games used to have different UIs between PC and console but today PC has a very similar UI to consoles due most playing with controller.

Of course there are exceptions like Baldur’s Gate 3 that had different UI to M/KB and controller on PC.
They do that because the UI is unfriendly to them, even on series that started and focused on PC.

• Informative
Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That is weird take because since ever Steam survey shows most PC players uses controller instead M/KB… so PC UI had to adapt themselves.

In the past games used to have different UIs between PC and console but today PC has a very similar UI to consoles due most playing with controller.

Of course there are exceptions like Baldur’s Gate 3 that had different UI to M/KB and controller on PC.
It's because games started cheating for controller users, with bullet magnetism, aim assist, and other built-in hacks so kbm users wouldn't have an overwhelming advantage. I dare anyone to play an FPS with all those features turned off against a kbm user, they'd get dominated 20:1.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Mk&b is almost cheating. Turning speeds, recoil control, pin point accuracy. More skill my balls. No they shouldn’t ever really be matched against controller even with whatever sandbox tuning a dev does to balance it.
"almost cheating" lmao okay, just admit you're bad. mouse+keyboard literally does what you tell it to. don't blame mkb for the fact that controllers are an inferior interface in FPS games.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Depends on the game. In COD controllers have a clear advantage due to aim assist.

teezzy

6 Sep 2022
I like being able to play games with my friends even if we all dont own a game on the same platform

Reactions: Snes nes

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
It's because games started cheating for controller users, with bullet magnetism, aim assist, and other built-in hacks so kbm users wouldn't have an overwhelming advantage. I dare anyone to play an FPS with all those features turned off against a kbm user, they'd get dominated 20:1.
I play Insurgency mostly on PS5 now because I am a lazy bum to sit on PC and I do just finr

Fast paced game like COD but those also has strong auto rotation there is that, last cod game I played was Cold War and the aim assist is so strong it screwed my aim instead. to be fair without auto rotation I don't expect console players to be able to quick turn 180° and some order crazy shit.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Time I have spent playing last year COD multiplayer was funny. I had crossplay on throughout and every time the matches were with other PS users and PC bozos. Barely any Xbox users got linked up. Lol. Guess that goes to show how much the Xbox install base has dwindle.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
I play Insurgency mostly on PS5 now because I am a lazy bum to sit on PC and I do just finr

Fast paced game like COD but those also has strong auto rotation there is that, last cod game I played was Cold War and the aim assist is so strong it screwed my aim instead. to be fair without auto rotation I don't expect console players to be able to quick turn 180° and some order crazy shit.
Is Insurgency cross play?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
"almost cheating" lmao okay, just admit you're bad. mouse+keyboard literally does what you tell it to. don't blame mkb for the fact that controllers are an inferior interface in FPS games.

What? Mk&b is “superior” because it is a faster and more precise input method. It’s a lot easier to play shooters on Mk&b. The turning speeds and precision is an inherent advantage. It’s not a fair match against controller and never will be. “Admit that I’m bad” says the weeb who doesn’t play shooters. Don’t throw shade when you’re clueless ya fucking clown.

Depends on the game. In COD controllers have a clear advantage due to aim assist.

Aim assist exists on both controller and Mk&b for nearly any decent shooter. Tuning and variation between either is dependent on the game’s sandbox tuning. It will generally be more aggressive on controller in addition to favoring certain kinds of gunplay. As it should since controller does not have the pin point accuracy of a mouse. That’s not an advantage when it’s disadvantaged by default.

Mk&b and console cross play in a PvP shooter will always suck. It should be input method only. Then again… if a playerbase craters they have no choice but to lump it all into one.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: anonpuffs
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Time I have spent playing last year COD multiplayer was funny. I had crossplay on throughout and every time the matches were with other PS users and PC bozos. Barely any Xbox users got linked up. Lol. Guess that goes to show how much the Xbox install base has dwindle.

When i played cold war it was always majority PS players with a few PC players, occasionally one Xbot would be in the lobby.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Not for fighting games. Crossplay is mandatory for fighting games due to the genre being niche by nature.
Not even close to reality. PS5-only fighting games do just fine, because they’re on a cheat-proof platform that’s trouble-free and cheaper than PC.

Reactions: Box

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Seems like it's been a good thing for fighting games