Former PlayStation boss views Apple and Amazon as big threats to the games industry

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is he scared of saying Microsoft? They are the biggest threat to gaming by far. If Amazon gets a publisher it will stay multiplatform.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They really need to move HQ back to Japan, keep it fa away from MSFT and American-ization.

It's already suffering because of it at multiple levels IMO.
To be fair SCE Japan is not really known for best decisions, PS3 era is the example.

PS4 era sucess is thanks to people like Andrew House, which is SIE California HQ. Also most studios in California, hence their HQ in California, and I do think Sony should make another major branch in Japan like Nintendo.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
This Shawn Layden guy is Phil's buddy.

Thanks god PS shove this guy out, between Jimbo this guy is a million time worse.

PC ports originally is his idea
Yup! He and Phil are bestie's and he was the one who cost Playstation 4 alot of 3rd party content in the latter years. Because he was against it, ironically just as when Phil was pushing the whole "3rd party exclusives goes against what gaming is about" rhetoric.

I will applaud him for locking down Insomniac and kick-starting Playstation Productions... But he was a mess. Only thing I miss about him is that he actually enjoyed engaging with Playstation audience.

To be fair SCE Japan is not really known for best decisions, PS3 era is the example.

PS4 era sucess is thanks to people like Andrew House, which is SIE California HQ. Also most studios in California, hence their HQ in California, and I do think Sony should make another major branch in Japan like Nintendo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Andrew House based in Japan though? Playstation going to California was a mistake. Linking Japan to PS3 missteps is unfair? Back then there were 3 branches? Sony America has always been the weakest link.

Even so getting rid of the 3 branches was where things fell apart, as I remember reading there use to be friendly competition between branches to see who could perform best. Europe eventually won. Maybe they should have moved the HQ there 😅

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Yup! He and Phil are bestie's and he was the one who cost Playstation 4 alot of 3rd party content in the latter years. Because he was against it, ironically just as when Phil was pushing the whole "3rd party exclusives goes against what gaming is about" rhetoric.

I will applaud him for locking down Insomniac and kick-starting Playstation Productions... But he was a mess. Only thing I miss about him is that he actually enjoyed engaging with Playstation audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Andrew House based in Japan though? Playstation going to California was a mistake. Linking Japan to PS3 missteps is unfair? Back then there were 3 branches? Sony America has always been the weakest link.

Even so getting rid of the 3 branches was where things fell apart, as I remember reading there use to be friendly competition between branches to see who could perform best. Europe eventually won. Maybe they should have moved the HQ there 😅
UK or Europe is where most SIE executives from, Jimbo, Andrew House and Hermen Hurst

Also Ken Kuteragi and Kaz Hirai lead SCE in PS3 era, which does not go well. I think PS2 was somewhat lucky and lead to Sony got really aggnorant. Even Vita and SD Card is under Kaz too. PS4 leads was mostly by UK/EU branch and it was sucessful, even though Yoshida still in Studios is a bit stingy when it comes to direction. I think PS5 is led by UK/EU branch personnel as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
UK or Europe is where most SIE executives from, Jimbo, Andrew House and Hermen Hurst

Also Ken Kuteragi and Kaz Hirai lead SCE in PS3 era, which does not go well. I think PS2 was somewhat lucky and lead to Sony got really aggnorant. Even Vita and SD Card is under Kaz too. PS4 leads was mostly by UK/EU branch and it was sucessful, even though Yoshida still in Studios is a bit stingy when it comes to direction. I think PS5 is led by UK/EU branch personnel as well.
No I am saying Andrew House was based in Japan. I am not saying that's where's from. I'm pretty sure he was leading PS3 tailwind and PS4 from the Japan HQ.

Kaz did a fantastic job with turning the ship around, so I dunno why he catching strays? Under his leadership Playstation was the most consumer friendly. And I personally never had an issue with Kutaragi, we need someone like him around again to whip up Japanese third party support and keep them in line. He said some dumb stuff but can't deny he was a visionary and a part of Playstation's hardware charm died when he left.

Shu Yoshida well... I won't even start on his endless failures lol. But I will say he has a good eye for GaaS hits and Indie content. Maybe they should make him lead the GaaS initiative though he's kinda against it.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Id've payed more for native backwards compatibility Xbox gets praised for it's backwards compatibility through emulation but playstation was going above that with the launch of the ps3 & offering native backwards compatibility that came at a higher launch price but being able to play your entire playstation library on the console was worth it imo shame they had to remove it

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I will applaud him for locking down Insomnia

It's really weird they didn't lock down Insomniac the same time they got Naughty Dog, Insomniac was loyal to PlayStation for many years.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
No I am saying Andrew House was based in Japan. I am not saying that's where's from. I'm pretty sure he was leading PS3 tailwind and PS4 from the Japan HQ.

Kaz did a fantastic job with turning the ship around, so I dunno why he catching strays? Under his leadership Playstation was the most consumer friendly. And I personally never had an issue with Kutaragi, we need someone like him around again to whip up Japanese third party support and keep them in line. He said some dumb stuff but can't deny he was a visionary and a part of Playstation's hardware charm died when he left.

Shu Yoshida well... I won't even start on his endless failures lol. But I will say he has a good eye for GaaS hits and Indie content. Maybe they should make him lead the GaaS initiative though he's kinda against it.
In defense of Jimbo, he speaks Japanese better than I expected.

• Surprised

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
It's really weird they didn't lock down Insomniac the same time they got Naughty Dog, Insomniac was loyal to PlayStation for many years.
They tried many times back then but Insomniac wanted their freedom. I guess Ted Price realized it made sense after the success of Spiderman and the fact they can't have success unless it was a Playstation exclusive... Plus the EA partnership left them in tatters.

• they're_right_you_know

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I reckon an announcement is around the corner with it being the 25th anniversary recently
And who is gonna make the game? When Toys 4 Bob has been folded into being a COD support studio.

But I did see recently that the remake reached 10 million copies sometime in August.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I mean his lackeys go instead. I met Shu and even Kaz before and they both kinda more humbled and fun than I expected.
Shu is a good guy all things considered. But Hermen meeting with Japanese devs? Maybe if he can get his Yacht to Japan and have the devs meet him on it
😂

• haha