Forspoken did well in all regions apparently.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
FF7r selling 5 million. As much as Halo 5 (a failure). Is not good for a remake that was hyped up for a decade. That’s the same as selling thru 1 million in 2002. It should be on par with Horizon ZD, Tsushima, or any of Sony’s big hitters.. hell even Days Gone. It’s not. That’s underwhelming for “best game of all time” Ff7. Sorry.
This is a straight up lie. Please don't compare FF7 Remake to the garbage fire that was Halo 5 Guardians.

It sold 5 Million+ by August of 2020. Game launched in April of 2020. It was breaking sale records for PlayStation. It has obviously sold way more than that total by now.

"Remake was released for the PlayStation 4 in April 2020. It received positive reviews, with praise for its graphics, gameplay, narrative, and music. Critics praised the expanded story and the updated battle system for its strategic elements and visual flourishes, but the linearity and repetitive sidequests received criticism. Final Fantasy VII Remake became one of the fastest-selling PlayStation 4 games, selling more than 3.5 million copies within three days and over five million by August 2020."

Reactions: Swift_Star

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
FF16 is a different situation. I wouldn’t compare Forspoken to it. Forspoken is throwaway low effort game development. FF16 is the most important mainline FF release since the OG FF7.

I agree with your second sentence, but lets not forget FS was spearheading the PS5 reveal and had Square staff commenting that they are going to make it the best looking open world game ever. The time and budget were there, the ambition and Luminous Engine let it down.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
I agree with your second sentence, but lets not forget FS was spearheading the PS5 reveal and had Square staff commenting that they are going to make it the best looking open world game ever. The time and budget were there, the ambition and Luminous Engine let it down.
Luminous Engine was horrendous even in FF15. Very sad, as a HUGE FF fan, FF15 was not a true FF game in my mind. It could have been so much more, fucking Tabata ruins everything where he goes. The story was half-assed to the point where they had to patch in more stuff.

Let's put it this way. FF 15 was a good game it just was a not a good Final Fantasy game if that makes any sense. And the engine wasn't helping them in either. I tried really hard to like it and they fucked over Stella who had so much good potential for a female protagonist :/

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
FF7r selling 5 million. As much as Halo 5 (a failure). Is not good for a remake that was hyped up for a decade. That’s the same as selling thru 1 million in 2002. It should be on par with Horizon ZD, Tsushima, or any of Sony’s big hitters.. hell even Days Gone. It’s not. That’s underwhelming for “best game of all time” Ff7. Sorry.
Source that it has stopped at 5 million? This figure was on august 2020 lmao
You're not making any sense whatsoever.
And, oh, it's such a failure that a sequel is releasing this year lmfao

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Luminous Engine was horrendous even in FF15. Very sad, as a HUGE FF fan, FF15 was not a true FF game in my mind. It could have been so much more, fucking Tabata ruins everything where he goes. The story was half-assed to the point where they had to patch in more stuff.

Let's put it this way. FF 15 was a good game it just was a not a good Final Fantasy game if that makes any sense. And the engine wasn't helping them in either. I tried really hard to like it and they fucked over Stella who had so much good potential for a female protagonist :/
Luminous is garbage. I just hope they ditch this engine now since Forspoken had potential but it was clearly held back by the engine.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Luminous is garbage. I just hope they ditch this engine now since Forspoken had potential but it was clearly held back by the engine.
They already announced that Foreskin was the final project on Luminous. Everything is going to be Unreal Engine from now on.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Finally decided to open this thread as a Forespoken stan, all I want is for Square Enix to say that they at least broke even on the game in an earnings call or something. I know it wasn't a breakout success, but with it being $70 and making most sales charts around the world, I hope they were able to recoup the costs. I think the gameplay and yes, even the writing is fantastic and does not deserve the astroturfing and bombing it got pre release. I just want to know why the graphics were downgraded so terribly, when I thought the luminous team were filled with some of SE's best graphics engineers. I can forgive a lot of things but bad graphics made the game much harder to play through. Glad to hear they are ditching that horrible engine.

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Finally decided to open this thread as a Forespoken stan, all I want is for Square Enix to say that they at least broke even on the game in an earnings call or something. I know it wasn't a breakout success, but with it being $70 and making most sales charts around the world, I hope they were able to recoup the costs. I think the gameplay and yes, even the writing is fantastic and does not deserve the astroturfing and bombing it got pre release. I just want to know why the graphics were downgraded so terribly, when I thought the luminous team were filled with some of SE's best graphics engineers. I can forgive a lot of things but bad graphics made the game much harder to play through. Glad to hear they are ditching that horrible engine.
Visuals got downgraded because A) The engine was made for old generation systems back on the PS3 days but then used on a PS4 title (ff15) and on top of it, it was just a poorly made engine. It was so bad that even KH3 changed engines mod development to UE4.

And B) The Tabata's team is also shit tier, same team who made FF15.

But FF16 is a different story and being led by the far superior team who made FF14 A Realm Reborn. That game was horrible when it came out, they took it down and reworked it and it became one of the best top tier MMOs that rivals WoW and ESO. Now they're working on the Single player mainline title and you can even see it in the art direction. It's glorious. I never even played the MMO because I was never into multiayer Final Fantasy games, I only care for the single player titles. However, I heard nothing but praise.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Visuals got downgraded because A) The engine was made for old generation systems back on the PS3 days but then used on a PS4 title (ff15) and on top of it, it was just a poorly made engine. It was so bad that even KH3 changed engines mod development to UE4.

But FF16 is a different story and being led by the far superior team who made FF14 A Realm Reborn. That game was horrible when it came out, they took it down and reworked it and it became one of the best top tier MMOs that rivals WoW and ESO. Now they're working on the Single player mainline title and you can even see it in the art direction. It's glorious. I never even played the MMO because I was never into multiayer Final Fantasy games, I only care for the single player titles. However, I heard nothing but praise.

With FF16 they've seemingly at least been honest in the footage, the trailers have all looked like good cross-gen games, unlike the clearly next-gen the Project Athia trailers were (which turned out to be bullshit anyway).

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Except this doesn't make sense because FFXV is not a bad looking game and actually looks better than Forespoken, despite being a PS4 game. And the engine has been teased for it's graphical prowess for literally 10 years

So the engine doesn't explain the graphical downgrade, I think something must've happened during development because this is by far the worst looking luminous engine game released.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Except this doesn't make sense because FFXV is not a bad looking game and actually looks better than Forespoken, despite being a PS4 game. And the engine has been teased for it's graphical prowess for literally 10 years

So the engine doesn't explain the graphical downgrade, I think something must've happened during development because this is by far the worst looking luminous engine game released.
The only way the engine could be the reason for the bad graphics is if porting the engine to PS5 limited some capabilities compared to other builds, but I highly doubt that’s the case.

I’d say it’s more likely a low budget and an inexperienced or just crappy dev team.