From software side quest design is absolutely atrocious. And I’m sick of people pretending they are good

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Ok today I’m extra grumpy and I can’t stop thinking that there is absolutely anyone in this world that can follow these quest without Wikipedia open. I mean they are absolutely horrible to follow. And what makes annoying is that they are actually interesting but the structure is absolutely mental. I’m going through elden ring again and even with wiki open I can’t follow everything cause it’s so easy to forget who you met and what’s what.

press triangle to talk “…” man fuck off with this bullshit

And let’s not talking about the quest you can’t fuck it up by just progressing .

Seriously the from d riding needs to end. I’m not talking about visuals clues but ffs be more transparent about what to do next. And to be fair elden ring isn’t the worst compared to souls games.

Discuss

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Ok today I’m extra grumpy and I can’t stop thinking that there is absolutely anyone in this world that can follow these quest without Wikipedia open. I mean they are absolutely horrible to follow. And what makes annoying is that they are actually interesting but the structure is absolutely mental. I’m going through elden ring again and even with wiki open I can’t follow everything cause it’s so easy to forget who you met and what’s what.

press triangle to talk “…” man fuck off with this bullshit

And let’s not talking about the quest you can’t fuck it up by just progressing .

Seriously the from d riding needs to end. I’m not talking about visuals clues but ffs be more transparent about what to do next. And to be fair elden ring isn’t the worst compared to souls games.

Discuss
GET GOOD SCRUB! ❤️

I actually have not played Eldern Ring, but I thought I would add to the Drama, sorry!

I Love You Hug GIF by Demic

• sad
Reactions: SLB1904

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
It's ridiculous how convoluted and abstract they are. Don't think I've ever completed one of their side quests without using Wikia.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Even a log of the dialogue you heard previously would solve so many issues

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I haven't had issues with it in previous games, but haven't played Elden Ring yet so can't offer much of an opinion on that. I can definitely see why it's frustrating, but I actually like figuring stuff out by myself and with the aid of the community too. Then again, I'm the type to turn off quest markers in games so there's that too.

Reactions: Kokoloko
26 Nov 2023
You know what, as a massive FROM fan, I’m with you OP. And generally I’ve been okay with it but I’ve been feeling it with Shadow of the Erdtree. Having to follow a guide is one thing but the missable conditions are ridiculous especially with how obfuscated quest progression is. I’m not saying they should have literal quest markers and checklists but fucking come on FROM, you need to find a way to make quests less obscure and less easily fuck uppable.

We made fun of that Guerilla dev for criticizing From’s quest design but you know what, maybe we were too harsh 😅

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Why was this moved to gaming industry? 😂

But you're right, FromSoftware gets away with a lot of bs that no one else is able to. And if you criticize them, people will just say that you're "mad cuz bad". Their games are like the designer clothes of gaming, no one really likes it as much as they claim but they pretend to because it makes them look cool.....

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well tbh most don't play From games for the story, the boss fight spectacle and combat is what we are there for and those 2 things are top of the class. The narrative and quest design of their games is very old school.

The quest design is like 80's and 90's jrpgs with many missable conditions and I agree that there has been an influx of massive bandwagon fans who just play because its cool to play difficult games but some people actually like having obscure conditions to progress in quests.

But OP seriously this is a "skill issue" so "GIT GUD" :ROFLMAO:

Game Smash GIF by Red Bull

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I only loved Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. The rest are not good. Elden Ring is the worst one actually. The open world fucked up their excellent level design.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
For me reading guides etc. has become part of the experience with From games, unfortunately. Elden Ring is by far the worst offender and made me miss Ubi-like maps with that bloated, boring open world.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I havent played Elden Ring. But I love how the the side missions progress in Souls games. Make a mistake and its gone

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I agree. Never bothered too much with them other than in dark souls. I just don't have that much time to waste anymore.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It is truly awful and on release there were not even npc markers on the map. Without going back and forth and talking to everyone randombly, you have no idea somewhere at the end of the world (where you've already been) showed there again.
It was already bad in previous games but at least due to more linearly crafted world, there was somewhat bigger chance of meeting sigward in a well. Imagine that in elden ring.

This meme is ALMOST correct.
The question is also WHO IS SHE AS YOU NEVER GET TO HEAR FROM HER HER NAME

SjAAMqS.png

And by the time I've learned about rani side quest, it was already locked to me... and I was 50 hours into the game.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Well tbh most don't play From games for the story, the boss fight spectacle and combat is what we are there for and those 2 things are top of the class. The narrative and quest design of their games is very old school.

The quest design is like 80's and 90's jrpgs with many missable conditions and I agree that there has been an influx of massive bandwagon fans who just play because its cool to play difficult games but some people actually like having obscure conditions to progress in quests.

But OP seriously this is a "skill issue" so "GIT GUD" :ROFLMAO:

Game Smash GIF by Red Bull
Actually this game is so easy if you focus in on just one build. I’m doing samurai cause you know samurai is cool. I’m bleeding everything bosses are dying so quick. But yeah the side quests are bullshit. They are so cool but very hard to follow. I’m doing the letters from the volcano manor and they have markers on the map. Go figure

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Tbh I wonder sometimes how people figure out how to do these quests, my current operating theory is they have employees leak the stuff to fextralife

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Uhhh I like how not obvious they usually are. They actually feel like secret quests and when you pull it off it usually feels magical considering you may have had no clue wtf you were doing anyway.

Them being missable is what bothers me but I sorta got over it. Became a bigger problem with Elden Ring due to open world length etc…